I don't understand how this car works.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 02:00 pm
@BillRM,
No, it isn't bullshit. It's the truth. You just don't understand the physics correctly.

Let me ask you - at what point will you admit you were wrong? What level of proof would satisfy you? I suspect none, because you have totally put your intellectual credibility on the line here and can't back down now without looking like a goddamn idiot.

You should have been more measured with your criticisms of the idea early on in the thread. But you weren't, and now you're paying the price.

Cycloptichorn
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 02:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
What level of proof would satisfy you? I suspect none, because you have totally put your intellectual credibility on the line here and can't back down now without looking like a goddamn idiot.

First of all we had not even gotten a report from NALSA and are only going on claims by the BlackBird group and that surely is zero proof to this point.

Assuming that the report does support the claims and no one can find any indications of problesm/cheating after people have long enough to exam the raw data that is step one.

Step two would be a group with zero connection with the blackbird group build a similar craft from the public information and get the same or at least very similar results.

It would also be helpful it this second team is full of people that question the concept behind the Blackbird.

At that point and not a moment before you can question the good faith of anyone who question this faster then wind craft/device.

So you are way ahead of yourself as there is no proof beyond the builders words as yet.

ThinAirDesigns

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 10:01 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM -- you are way behind. We were the THIRD unrelated group to build one of these devices and obtain the exact same results.

The first was a group of engineers from Douglas Aircraft in the late '60. Involved in this project were Dr. Andrew Bauer and A.M.O Smith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_M._O._Smith)

Bauer built one of the devices and presented a paper on the topic at the AIAA symposium in '70:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nybzujtizmg
http://www.mediafire.com/?ztjzqlmyfmm
http://www.mediafire.com/?gnvgit0xuwj

A few years ago, Jack Goodman also built one with the same results:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qm4nhz5jz1w

Since we built our first one, more than a dozen independent parties have built/tested versions with the same results.

You really should get yourself up to speed before making silly statements.

0 Replies

ThinAirDesigns

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 10:06 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
First of all we had not even gotten a report from NALSA and are only going on claims by the BlackBird group and that surely is zero proof to this point.

While it's true that NALSA have not yet issued their report, you are wrong about going only on claims from our group. I posted an extensive quote from Richard Jenkins, a known, reputable and World Record holding skeptic (who is easy to reach because of his website btw) who flew in to SoCal just to witness the tests for himself. We had only met Richard one time before he showed up (we attended a presentation he gave on his Greenbird vehicle) and he was in no way involved in the project.

Stop must making sh** up Bill.

JB
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 10:53 pm
@ThinAirDesigns,
So Jenkin flew to CA and then talk to your group and witness the craft during the test run correct? Did he also have access to the instructions readings and was he able and allow to exam them?

Sorry but if he did not have such access to the data any statement of his is just an opinion of one person with no data and an opinion that already had change once and could do so again.

My opinion is his first opinion is likely to have been correct and his second opinion is likely to be wrong but one way or another an opinion is not proof.

Whether you could charm Mr. Jenkin or not it is still mainly your group word at this point in time.

Proof is as I had listed is a report from NALSA that also contain the raw data that can be exam by anyone in detail.

Then the building of a similar craft by a non-connected group and getting similar results as that is the only way to made sure that no one is gaming the system in some way or another.

That is how claims in any scientific field is validated beyond question or found to be incorrect or false for that matter.

Cold Fusion and other scientific claims had over the years/decades//centuries only had fallen apart at the lack of anyone else being able to achieved similar results.

Note do you have a time when NALSA is likely to be releasing it report?

ThinAirDesigns

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:13 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Sorry but if he did not have such access ...

Full access. Contact him independently if you wish.

Your excuses are fueled by ignorance.

JB
0 Replies

ThinAirDesigns

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:15 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Then the building of a similar craft by a non-connected group and getting similar results as that is the only way to made sure that no one is gaming the system in some way or another.

Apparently you can't read what I just posted. We ARE the non-connected group who is getting similar results.

JB
0 Replies

ThinAirDesigns

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:19 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Note do you have a time when NALSA is likely to be releasing it report?

The primary NALSA Official at the test combined this West Coast swing with a multi-week vacation (he's from the East Coast).

He is not back home yet, and we have been told not to expect a report from him until he is home, has had time to analyize the data and present it to his BOD for ratification.

It doesn't end well for you. As Richard Jenkins so perfectly put it: “To all fellow skeptics, start baking that humble pie, or eat your hat. Your choice.”

BillRM

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 02:38 pm
@ThinAirDesigns,
Sorry no one is under any moral obligation just to take your word concerning the Blackbird and you are not just an independent group with no irons in the fire checking out the claims of someone in the 1950s!!!!!

Your group’s members are all over the web promoting and defending the craft and waving your hands in the air when question how energy could be couple from a wind to a craft moving at 2 to 3 or even 4 times faster then the wind directly downwind.

No proof of your claims will be complete under an independent group without your group emotional stake verify the results by building a similar craft.

I might had been more willing to give your group claims some more credit on it face if the speed over the wind was reported as 10 or even 30 percents as I could picture some kind of aerodynamic effect causing a low pressure bubble or such behind the car and allowing some coupling of energy beyond wind speed.

Two hundreds to four hundreds percents is a little must however as that would mean somehow four to sixteen times the energy of a craft moving at wind speed is appearing out of nowhere.

sirclicsalot

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 03:11 pm
@BillRM,
This is my first post here. I am impressed with DrewDad who got it exactly right in only the sixth post after the start of the thread. Personally I was a skeptic and managed to put out one embarrassing post before I got it (with many more embarrassing posts since).

JB is right that the psychology of the responses to the brainteaser about as interesting as the device.

I see on this thread that BillRM is apparently the Humber (i.e. JB's tar baby;-):

Quote:
The wind along the ground is not the issue the wind in relationship to the car is the issue.

and

Quote:
Once the car reach the speed and is traveling in the same direction of the wind then as far as it is concern the wind is zero. You can not get energy from a wind who speed is zero as far as the car is concern.

and

Quote:
the force is zero when the relative wind velocity is zero so no need to work a F*D equation as that would also be zero.

[emphases added]

Dear BillRM:

The correction to one of the fundamental flaws (emphasized above) in your thinking is that the issue is not the windspeed wrt the fixed parts of the cart; everyone can see that at windspeed the force of the wind on the fixed cart parts is zero, and at DDWFTTW the wind on the fixed cart parts produces only drag. The only significance there is that the drag can be minimized by design. By focusing on the fixed parts of the cart you are treating the cart as if it were a fixed-sail craft moving directly downwind - it most certainly and obviously is not - and as a result your reasoning is faulty.

The relevant issue is the wind velocity wrt the moving blades of the prop. Specifically, consider the point of intersection of a single streamline of the wind with a blade as the blade passes across that streamline. As for any prop-driven craft going directly downwind the relevant issue is that a wind streamline hits the back of the blades; this is obviously and only possible with adequate prop speed and pitch (again, design parameters). If the wind streamline does hit the back of the blades, then the wind is slowed (pushed back) by the blades, and by Newton 3 ("equal and opposite") provides a force forward on the back of the blade which is transmitted to the cart through the hub. Consider a 10-knot wind from the north and a prop-driven ultralight going south with 20kt airspeed and with 30kt speed over the ground. Unless the prop pushes back on the wind the craft cannot stay aloft; the force of the wind on the fuselage and wings only affects fuel consumption, not the ability of the craft to move forward and fly.

That settles the available force issue; the available energy issue (yes, I know the ultralight has an internal power source) is dealt with below.

If you don't get that, or if you think there is a flaw in it, then just retire from the field because you don't have the chops to be here. Oh yeah, and don't ever try to exceed the ground-relative windspeed downwind in an ultralight or take a flight from the West to the East Coast in the jetstream.

Seriously, until you get what I say above about forces don't bother reading any further.

If you do get it, then you should suspect that, since forward force can be provided by the wind on the prop, it is then possible to extract energy from that wind. As many have pointed out before me, the energy is available in the non-zero relative velocity between two media: the wind and the ground. Lo and behold, the prop is part of a drive train of chains, gears and axles between those same two media!

The final hindrance to understanding is only whether there is a gearing and prop pitch combination that makes this work. There are many demonstrations that this is possible, the oft repeated treadmill videos being the best and far more convincing than the trials at Lake Ivanpaugh and El Mirage, but perhaps the simplest is the "under the ruler faster than the ruler" video on YouTube. It is equivalent to pulling a yo-yo on a flat surface with a string coming from the bottom of the axle: without slip the yo-yo moves faster than the string is pulled. Simply put the cart is a Class 3 lever (the arrows indicate velocities):

Code:

+------> 30kt, LOAD, cart axle
|
|
|
|
+--> 10kt, FORCE, effective (zero-slip) wind point by design
|
+ 0kt, FULCRUM, circumference of cart wheel on ground

where the gearing and the prop pitch place the effective (i.e. zero-slip) force of the wind between the ground and the cart axle; this point makes the wind analogous to the string in the yo-yo example. If you put the right kite on the string of the yo-yo, then the center of mass of the yo-yo+kite might go DDWFTTW until the system runs out of string.

The equations for the steady-state force and energy (Power = Force dot Velocity) balances are left as an exercise to the reader. Simply put, the only forward force is provided by the prop, and the only energy input is provided by the ground force on the wheels. So

1) to make up for drag and friction forces, the forward prop force (thrust) must be greater than the backward ground force at the wheels, and

2) to make up for drag and friction power losses, the power input at the higher groundspeed at the wheels must be greater than the prop power output at the lower prop-apparent-windspeed.

So both force and energy are available for the cart go DDWFTTW; no conservation or thermodynamic laws are in jeopardy by this cart working as advertised. The upper limit on speed, as with all wind-driven craft, is set by efficiency, specifically one minus normalized drag and friction between the craft and the media.
sirclicksalot

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:43 pm
@sirclicsalot,
This is my first post here. I am impressed with DrewDad who got it exactly right in only the sixth post after the start of the thread. Personally I was a skeptic and managed to put out one embarrassing post before I got it (with many more embarrassing posts since).

JB is right that the psychology of the responses to the brainteaser about as interesting as the device.

I see on this thread that BillRM is apparently the Humber (i.e. JB's tar baby;-):

Quote:
The wind along the ground is not the issue the wind in relationship to the car is the issue.

and

Quote:
Once the car reach the speed and is traveling in the same direction of the wind then as far as it is concern the wind is zero. You can not get energy from a wind who speed is zero as far as the car is concern.

and

Quote:
the force is zero when the relative wind velocity is zero so no need to work a F*D equation as that would also be zero.

[emphases added]

Dear BillRM:

The correction to one of the fundamental flaws (emphasized above) in your thinking is that the issue is not the windspeed wrt the fixed parts of the cart; everyone can see that at windspeed the force of the wind on the fixed cart parts is zero, and at DDWFTTW the wind on the fixed cart parts produces only drag. The only significance there is that the drag can be minimized by design. By focusing on the fixed parts of the cart you are treating the cart as if it were a fixed-sail craft moving directly downwind - it most certainly and obviously is not - and as a result your reasoning is faulty.

The relevant issue is the wind velocity wrt the moving blades of the prop. Specifically, consider the point of intersection of a single streamline of the wind with a blade as the blade passes across that streamline. As for any prop-driven craft going directly downwind the relevant issue is that a wind streamline hits the back of the blades; this is obviously and only possible with adequate prop speed and pitch (again, design parameters). If the wind streamline does hit the back of the blades, then the wind is slowed (pushed back) by the blades, and by Newton 3 ("equal and opposite") provides a force forward on the back of the blade which is transmitted to the cart through the hub. Consider a 10-knot wind from the north and a prop-driven ultralight going south with 20kt airspeed and with 30kt speed over the ground. Unless the prop pushes back on the wind the craft cannot stay aloft; the force of the wind on the fuselage and wings only affects fuel consumption, not the ability of the craft to move forward and fly.

That settles the available force issue; the available energy issue (yes, I know the ultralight has an internal power source) is dealt with below.

If you don't get that, or if you think there is a flaw in it, then just retire from the field because you don't have the chops to be here. Oh yeah, and don't ever try to exceed the ground-relative windspeed downwind in an ultralight or take a flight from the West to the East Coast in the jetstream.

Seriously, until you get what I say above about forces don't bother reading any further.

If you do get it, then you should suspect that, since forward force can be provided by the wind on the prop, it is then possible to extract energy from that wind. As many have pointed out before me, the energy is available in the non-zero relative velocity between two media: the wind and the ground. Lo and behold, the prop is part of a drive train of chains, gears and axles between those same two media!

The final hindrance to understanding is only whether there is a gearing and prop pitch combination that makes this work. There are many demonstrations that this is possible, the oft repeated treadmill videos being the best and far more convincing than the trials at Lake Ivanpaugh and El Mirage, but perhaps the simplest is the "under the ruler faster than the ruler" video on YouTube. It is equivalent to pulling a yo-yo on a flat surface with a string coming from the bottom of the axle: without slip the yo-yo moves faster than the string is pulled. Simply put the cart is a Class 3 lever (the arrows indicate velocities):

Code:

+------> 30kt, LOAD, cart axle
|
|
|
|
+--> 10kt, FORCE, effective (zero-slip) wind point by design
|
+ 0kt, FULCRUM, circumference of cart wheel on ground

where the gearing and the prop pitch place the effective (i.e. zero-slip) force of the wind between the ground and the cart axle; this point makes the wind analogous to the string in the yo-yo example. If you put the right kite on the string of the yo-yo, then the center of mass of the yo-yo+kite might go DDWFTTW until the system runs out of string.

The equations for the steady-state force and energy (Power = Force dot Velocity) balances are left as an exercise to the reader. Simply put, the only forward force is provided by the prop, and the only energy input is provided by the ground force on the wheels. So

1) to make up for drag and friction forces, the forward prop force (thrust) must be greater than the backward ground force at the wheels, and

2) to make up for drag and friction power losses, the power input at the higher groundspeed at the wheels must be greater than the prop power output at the lower prop-apparent-windspeed.

So both force and energy are available for the cart go DDWFTTW; no conservation or thermodynamic laws are in jeopardy by this cart working as advertised. The upper limit on speed, as with all wind-driven craft, is set by efficiency, specifically one minus normalized drag and friction between the craft and the media.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:14 pm
@sirclicsalot,
How interesting not only is this your first post but you join this website today just to post on this subject it would seem.

In any case what I love is the pressure that the supporters of the Blackbird try to put on others here that dare to question it claims abilities.

If you do not go along with us or you think that the energy is coming from some form of magic you will be shown to be a fool so you better jump on the old band wagon or at worst keep silent.

So and so had change his mind so you should also do so...........if not…………

All the kinds of markers that you would expect to come from someone trying to sell a 20 percent rate of return a week investment plan. You are a fool it you do not understand that we can get this rate of return and no it is not a pyramid of any kind.

It is the moving blades of the props connected to the wheels that allow us to suck kilowatts of power from the air and you do not understand physics if you do not understand this.

I can not wait to mount a wind generation on top of my car and instead of just taking power from my car engine it will by magic provide free power. Oh sorry to get it to work you need to run a chain from my wheels to the generator and run it in reverse then the power will flow.

ThinAirDesigns

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:15 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM:
Quote:
... you are not just an independent group with no irons in the fire checking out the claims of someone in the 1950s!!!!!

We are *by definition* and independent group with no irons in the fire confirming the claims of someone in the '60s.

It works. We we demonstrate that it works. If it didn't work we would have said so. No, you are under no moral obligation whatsoever to believe us -- you are entitle to your own opinion, but not your own fact.

Quote:
Your group’s members are all over the web promoting and defending the craft ...

Yes, that's what happens when it works -- we say so.

JB
0 Replies

ThinAirDesigns

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:19 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM:
Quote:
If you do not go along with us or you think that the energy is coming from some form of magic you will be shown to be a fool ...

I see it's starting to sink in. :-)

People who believe that energy comes from some form of magic deserve such a fate.

JB
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:02 pm
This is beyond being silly.

Let take a small wind generator with a rpm meter hook to it and mount it on top of a car along the axis of that car.

Point the nose the car downwind and take note of the rpm reading.

Then slowly drive the car downwind and take note that the rpms decrease to zero at the point that the groundspeed match the wind speed and the airspeed is zero as related to the car.

As you then go over the airspeed the rpms will increase in the other direction and the rotation of the wind generator changed directions.

If you was taking power out of the wind generator on top of the car as soon as you go over the airspeed the power would be coming from the car engine not the wind.

Your wind car can have energy place into it in the form of kinetics energy from it wind power props however just as in the case of the car above the wind speed it can only suck energy in the form of kinetics energy from the car.

ThinAirDesigns

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:21 pm
@BillRM,
Yes, it IS beyond silly that you keep comparing a device which extracts energy from the movement of air relative to itself (your above description) to a device which extracts energy from the movement of air relative to the ground.

In case "A" (yours), once at wind speed no more energy can be harvested. That's how a turbine works. They are great for some things, but not for this.

I case "B" (ours and every typical sailboat in the world) energy can still be harvested at and above wind speed.

You're arguing against a principle that's been proven and in use ever since the invention of the keel first allowed sailboats to tacked upwind.
spork

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:26 pm
>>"This is beyond being silly."
I agree Bill. You don't even seem to have a theory to go on. You somehow just KNOW it can't work, and aren't interested in an explanation. Do you find it at all peculiar that everyone else seems to be getting it gradually? If you were confident that it could not work you'd ask for our analysis and point out the flaw. Let me know when you're ready to do that.
sirclicksalot

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:57 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
This is beyond being silly. Let take a small wind generator with a rpm meter hook to it and mount it on top of a car along the axis of that car. ...

The silliness is not coming from me: your free-wheeling turbine rotor thought experiment has nothing to do with the wheel-driven cart propeller rotor. Do you even understand the claims being made or are you just flailing about?

I posted an explanation using well-understood terms like force, speed, velocity, power, dot, etc, that directly addressed one of your stated concerns. To my knowledge that explanation does not in the least suggest any violations of Newtonian mechanics or thermodynamics. You are welcome to point out any abuses of physical laws. You are welcome to ask for further elucidation, resolution of ambiguity in my language, or anything else to help you understand if I was not clear.

Yes or no: the thrust from an airplane propeller can push a plane downwind while the plane body is flying directly downwind faster than the wind. A yes resolves your earlier stated concern, a no contradicts a significant fraction of thousands of daily commercial and private flights. Don't make ignorant assertions about my identity or my motives; the net has no need of yet another tar baby. Just answer yes if a plane can fly downwind faster than the wind, steady state, otherwise answer no. I'm not saying the cart needs any power source other than the wind, I'm just addressing your stated concern that you do not see how the wind can push on the cart moving DDW at windspeed or above.
sirclicksalot

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:23 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
In any case what I love is the pressure that the supporters of the Blackbird try to put on others here that dare to question it claims abilities.

No pressure. Our main interest is in honing the varied but equivalent approaches at an explanation, to improve communication, to make it possible to connect with another human being on a level deeper than superficial. We take your failure to understand what is going on as an indictment of our ability to explain.

But yes, if you are obviously clueless, we sometimes throw in some sarcasm and spotlight your lack of skills to distract us from our own shame over our inability to expand your knowledge.

Look, to those with the skills to understand, the treadmill experiments seal the deal. All but the blindly dogmatic will say "if there are no hidden strings or other tricks it must work, so how could it work?" That puts the competent on the road to research, diagrams, thinking and understanding; it took DrewDad less than three hours to figure it out (probably 5 minutes then two hours to write a one-line summary;-). Some folks will build one and test it themselves to verify that it works; it costs anywhere from $27 to $90 in parts (hey, there's a money-maker for you JB: have a kit ready for Letterman!).
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 04:09 am
@ThinAirDesigns,
You are claiming that a sailboat can also go downwind directly and go faster then the wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one have any problem with tacking but your little wind car big big claim is it does not need to tack.

0 Replies