I CANT DO A SQUAT??

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:55 pm
hi, i was just wandering about a physical problem i have. i cant physically do a squat... when i go down the bottom of my calves just wont stretch far enough... i know im doing it right because my bro can do them. any idea whats causing this? and how i can fix it? are there any excercises to fix it? thanks for any help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 573 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 03:09 pm
Well, there could be a couple of possibilities...it just might be that you are not used to doing squats yet, i.e., the muscles haven't been stretched enough. My bro does wicked squats, and showed me how to do a proper squat, and I couldn't do them either. It comes with practice. Just go low enough for what is comfortable, and ease into the form as your muscles get used to going lower. If this is a diagnosed medical problem however, you may want to see a physiotherapist, and have a proper consultation done.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:27 pm
Good thing you don't live in rural China, or you'd have major problems. They squat to go to the bathroom.

Have you always had this problem? Do you have other flexibility problems? Can you touch your toes? Do a backhand stand (hands and feet on the ground, belly up)? If not, stretching out your calves and thigh muscles is probably your problem.

You may want to do exercises that slowly ease you down, such as the plie' (a ballet move - you go halfway down in different foot positions.)

Are you old enough that it could be a symptom of your body aging? Have you suffered physical damage that may effect muscle & bone movement?
Does it hurt?

If stretching and gradual muscle toning don't work, I'd go see a physical therapist.
Meanwhile, mention the problem if you see your doctor.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 12:53 am
I can't do a squat either. But that's because my knees are stuffed.
0 Replies