like doing ...

fansy

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 07:17 am
Quote:
Like taking a ride on the Shinkansen had become a must for dignitaries of countries of the world when they were visiting Japan in the 1970s, dignitaries of more than thirty countries and international organizations have taken more than 200 rides on the Beijing-Tianjin Intercity Line since it went into operation in August 1, 2008.

Is "Like ..." correctly constructed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 670 • Replies: 6
No top replies

oolongteasup

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 07:31 am
@fansy,
perhaps the paragraph could be improved
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 07:35 am
JUST like taking a ride on the Shinkansen....
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 02:45 pm
@fansy,
For the sake of understanding it is better to shorten rather than lenghten a sentence with too many details. Break it up to smaller sentences. It is okay for a novel but when writing technical reports or conveying vital information simplicity is the rule. Ambiguity can create disasters if a wrong interpretation is taken of the information conveyed. Complex sentences are for snobs or professors who deliberately compose dense prose to impress their academic fellows to set up themselves up as a class above the crowd.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 02:52 pm
Quote:
Complex sentences are for snobs or professors who deliberately compose dense prose to impress their academic fellows to set up themselves up as a class above the crowd.

I hope you would know better.

You are inferring that knowledge is blameworthy.

What you say can be true in some cases but in the vast majority complex sentences are needed to explain complex concepts.

Saying that you can explain complex matters with simple phrases is just plain wrong...
talk72000

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 03:04 pm
@Francis,
If you read the part about VITAL information and reports you see what I mean. I wrote instruction manuals for machines and simplicity is needed for too complex a sentence and the technician would either scratch his head or press the wrong button. There had been many industrial disasters resulting from wrong interpretation of the instructions. Don't forget the people who run the machines are less capable of than the designers. Of course, if it is complex it will be complex but to unnecessarily densify the prose is snobbish.

Basically, it boils down to whom you are wring. The reading audience dictates how you write. To the enemy you would write to hide your intensions so you would write in code or provide disinformation. To your boss you would write differently. To your loved ones you write very differently. To those of simpler minds you need to write simply. To be conservative or to be on the safe side in order to avoid misunderstanding it is best to keep it simple (KISS was the rule).
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 12:28 am
@fansy,
i really shouldnt bother but talk talks sense as does francis, while the kangaroo adds "just"

taking a ride on the shinkansen was an imperative for dignitaries visiting japan in the 70's.

similarly, the Beijing-Tianjin Intercity Line has hosted representatives from more than thirty countries and international organizations since August 2008.
0 Replies