Battlestar Galactica on DVD

coffee sloth

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 12:53 pm
BSG on DVD
Here's a buyer for the DVD set, as soon as I have the $$$. That new rot with the name of Battlestar Galactica doesn't look at all like a good thing.
0 Replies

coffee sloth

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 12:55 pm
hobitbob wrote:
user wrote:
I just had a look at the website hobitbob mentioned...and what the heck's that?
Are they going to show a new version of Battlestar Galactica?
In my opinion they shouldn't do that. This series is such a famous one of unachievable quality.
I think it will make the same joke of the original series just as that crappy "reinvention" of Knight Rider as the new and "improved" "Team Knight Rider".

New characters, same general idea. Some of the changes: Starbuck's a girl, and is boinking Apollo, no Boxey or Muffit (Stupid Daggit, get back here!), and Baltar is supposedly related to the Adama family (don't say it!) somehow.

And Boomer is changed from a large black man to a small Asian woman. Worst part, to me, is the new Cylons. They look and act human? What's the point, then??
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 01:23 pm
coffee_sloth wrote:

And Boomer is changed from a large black man to a small Asian woman. Worst part, to me, is the new Cylons. They look and act human? What's the point, then??

Boomer is actually a "good" Cylon, who is boinking her crew chief. Sigh! Confused
0 Replies

coffee sloth

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 02:10 pm
hobitbob wrote:
coffee_sloth wrote:

Boomer is actually a "good" Cylon, who is boinking her crew chief. Sigh! Confused

That is just SO wrong on so many levels. I remember hearing one person involved with this "project" saying that they believed fans of BSG would hate this new thing, and I can't say that the speaker was wrong! I can't even think of a way to describe this pile without using terms and phrases that some folks might find offensive.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 02:13 pm
Well, Edward James Olmos apparrently told a con audience that diehard fans of the old BG shouldn't watch it. I am willing to give it a chance. Its a different production. Although, I have to admit, I am glad that a lot of the LDS propoganda that Larson inserted into the first one will be missing.
Speaking of Olmos, anyone else relish the concept of one of the stars of a cheesily great 1980s show (Miami Mice) playing the lead in a remake of another cheesily great 1980s show?
Seriously, though, one of the aspects that drew a 12 year old hobbit to the original series was the incorporation of the whole Van Daniken-esque "Chariots of the Gods" aspect. I will miss that part of the show. Apperently in the new version, the colonies are all nation states on the planet Kobol, so there goes the whole "there are those who belive that life here began somewhere out there. Far across the universe, with tribes of humans...." aspect. I have gotten older and a (tiny) bit more sophisticated since then, and don't know that I would be able to watch a similar show without laughing out loud. As I mentioned before, the pseudo-mythical aspects of the show turned into hour long commercials for the Mormon church, and I found that a bit distasteful at the time.
As for OBG (Original Battlestar Galactica) complaints about sex, well, the old show was just as filled with sex. Cassieopaeia was a "socilalator" (prostitute), Starbuck banged anything in a skirt, including Apollo's sister Sheba, and Apollo was scrogging Jane Seymour hours after her husband had died in the attack on Saggitara. There are merely fewer restrictions on teh prtrayal of sex in 2003 than there were in the "BJ (!) and the Bear," "Dukes of Hazard (Daisy Dukes, anyone?)" 1980s.
The new Cylons are, in my opinion, better than the old ones, who were obviously guys in latex and plastic. The origin story is better as well. The new Cylons were mechanical servants of humanity that performed dangerous and menial tasks in place of humanity, so it really is a more "literary" SF concept that the lizardmen with three brains and their mechanical co-workers schtick that the OBG presented. The new Baltar has a much more developed character than that of smirky John Colicos ever had, and I like the idea that there are fifth columnist humanoid Cylons (Supposedly created by Baltar) among the fleet. I also like how the Boomer character is a Cylon who has decised to side with the humans. And last but certainly not least, Boomer adn Number Six are certainly teh inheritors of Brent Spiner's (STTNG) "Fully functional!"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:09 pm
I look at the Olmos tragedy here as irony, but I am certain the new BG will suck. I did kinda dig his katana moments on Miami Vice though. Katanas are not quite as effective in space however....although a batleth could be arguable.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:13 pm
cavfancier wrote:
I look at the Olmos tragedy here as irony, but I am certain the new BG will suck. I did kinda dig his katana moments on Miami Vice though. Katanas are not quite as effective in space however....although a batleth could be arguable.

Indeed! Very Happy Speaking of which, did anyone see the "X-Treme Marttial Arts" thing on Discovery tonight? Pure and utter crap, with the exception of about two minutes of Fumio Demura demonstrating Seiunchin. Confused
0 Replies

coffee sloth

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:19 pm
I've noticed a good many things called "X-Treme" are crap.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 02:37 pm
Episode one airs tonight on Sci Fi! Very Happy
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 10:32 pm
Okay, I liked it, maybe more than the original. The ending was just perfect to make me want more!
Some questions:
Why is Number Six helping the Humans? Does she perhaps now sympathize with them?

Is there really an Earth?

What does "there are five more," mean?
0 Replies

user

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:18 pm
Woohoo I'm back...
...OK to stay on-topic: Haven't watched that new stuff yet - but I'll tell you when I'll have done so over the weekend.
Hope all that boinking-related comments weren't just for the purpose of using that word Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:28 pm
Ha ha! Anyone remember Captain Schtupping from The Love Boat? Couldn't resist. Laughing There you go, a comment just meant to exploit a term. Wink I was ruminating on which was better, "Wonder Woman" or "The New Adventures of Wonder Woman", and schtupping came to mind...my apologies for diverting my own thread. Very Happy
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 01:58 am
The old series was heavily influenced by Larsen's LDS theology.
Interestingly enough, my recreational reading over break is
Hollifield's "Theology in America: Christian Thought From the Puritans
to the Civil War." (Yale, 2003.), and his description of the Mormon's
belief systems (chapter 16, 331-346) could be a replica of the earlier
description of the "progressivism" of Kobol theology.
Having said this, I doubt heavy doses of LDS theology will play well
to an audience in 2004. It was pretty hokey in 1979, when I was 11! I
think the re-imagining where Kobol is the destroyed world,and the
colonies nation states works better.

As for the Cylon "faith," It would be great if it developed into a
sort of pseudo-gnostic ideology, where individual enlightenment was
supreme. Given that metempyschosis of a sort exists amongst them, via
thair ability to transfer their consciousness at destruction of the
shell,it would be perfectly logical for them to adopt a theology that
considers material creation flawed, and the ultimate wuest is to end
the cycle of rebirth. Would not the humans then fulfill the role of
"Archons" in this belief system? If the Cylon's creator (the Demiurge)
is seen as a "false creator" then the only function of humanity may be
(from their point of view)ia to prevent the "pure souls" of the Cylons
from regaining unity with the true creator.

Six' comment "God is love" is very much a gnostic sentiment, adapted
into orthodoxy by the Johannine compilers in the later 2d century, and
is therefore recognizeable to most who would watch the series. If the
seies is indeed picked up, I am very interetested to see where this
aspect of the show goes. Such eschatological musings seem to play well
with the American public, as is evidenced by the popularity of the
inane "left Behind" series, whcih seems to cater to the beer and
Nascar, wal mart shopping, flag waving, Bud drinking lowbrows who form
the majority of the population. Of course, if that's the group that
will decide if BG lives of dies, we should probably give up now. Ah,
well.
0 Replies