Treating AMD - Vitalux?

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 04:57 pm
I've been hearing rave reviews about the effects of using Vitalux. Prevents the AMD from going further. Anyone tried it - read any good test results - anecdotal evidence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 4,530 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 04:58 pm
@ehBeth,
No, but I would like the answers too.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 05:06 pm
@ehBeth,
You can always buy a computer with an Intel processor instead of AMD. Intel is always trying to prevent AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx from succeeding in the computer chip industry.

Don't really know what vitalux has to do with computers and microchips. Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 06:04 pm
@ehBeth,
I am, natch, interested. My cousin has macular degeneration. The second I have it, I will be in immense doo doo, combining rp and mac. And the same with macular degeneration people, losing rod metabolism, though that doesn't seem to happen. It seems to work from my end, re rp and mac degeneration..

Whatever, I'll pay attention to any news.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 07:31 pm
@ehBeth,
One of my Junior partners has AMD and hes only 42. Its really sad because he already has difficulty reading and working extensive math except in his head . Hes a hell of a geophysicist and is a whiz with models. He has to use his peripheral vision in order to read or run equations and output. At present, as I understand, the outlook for procedures, until hes almost blind, is fairly grim.

Im not a big fan of things that appear homeopathic. Is this something real? I will have his physician team at Wills Eye in Philly read anything I can get my hands on. I googled Vitalux and it appears awfully similar to "fat burner" commercials or "male enhancers". Please tell me that this is something worth looking into.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 07:44 pm
I have not heard of this before - know nothing at all about it.

I read an article about four or five years ago - can't recall the author - suggesting that macular degeneration became a big thing with the switching from cooking with animal fat to vegetable oil. Proof? If he offered any, I don't recall it.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:21 pm
@ehBeth,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macular_degeneration

Nutritional supplements
Some evidence supports a reduction in the risk of age-related macular degeneration with increasing intake of two carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin[28] and a large clinical trial is running from 2008 to 2014 to see if they can influence the progression of this disease.[29]

Consuming omega-3 fatty acids (DHA & EPA) has been correlated with a reduced progression of early ARMD, and in conjunction with low glycemic index foods, with reduced progression of advanced ARMD.[30]

An earlier, Cochrane Database Review of publications to 2007 found that the use of vitamin and mineral supplements, alone or in combination, by the general population had no effect on age-related macular degeneration,[31] a finding echoed by another review.[32] A 2006 Cochrane Review of the effects of vitamins and minerals on the slowing of ARMD found that positive results mainly came from a single large trial in the United States (the Age-Related Eye Disease Study, with funding from the eye care product company Bausch & Lomb who also manufactured the supplements used in the study[33]), and questioned the generalization of the data to any other populations with different nutritional status. The review also questioned the possible harm of such supplements, given the increased risk of lung cancer in smokers with high intakes of beta-Carotene, and the increased risk of heart failure in at-risk populations who consume high levels of vitamin E supplements.[34]
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:27 pm
@farmerman,
Listening to farmer. Scowling at Tsar.
0 Replies