Switching Jobs: Going Outside of Your Training/Schooling

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 02:23 am
I've got a pretty good job. Stable. Good pay. I feel however I'm approaching the end of the line in terms of what's left to achieve in my current position. I feel I need to move on, and instead of trying to move up. I feel like a new job within the next year is in my best option.

The problem is that my confidence is disturbed by the idea of moving away from my engineering schooling. I think I'd find a job I'm more passionate about in environmental research or policy.

I'd like to stay in DC. It's a good city. Good prospects in terms of jobs. Private industry jobs, and government positions a plenty.

I'm looking for advice from people here who have switched tracks in the past. What were the major hurdles? Any tips? How do I know what I'm qualified for?

A
R
Time to work on my resume...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,775 • Replies: 25
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 07:49 am
@failures art,
I've switched tracks several times (I'm also older than you are, and technology grew up around me -- when I was in school, you printed computer stuff on a huge, clunky teletype-sort of thang).

Here's what I did in my most recent reinvention:
  1. If you want to really shift gears, you need to network. You need to start talking to people in the industry/area you wish to go into (you can find these folk on LinkedIn by joining groups they are in, filtering them by your geographic area, and asking to link to them -- then take them out for coffee and pick their brains). Ask which books and blogs to read, and which podcasts to watch. Ask where/how they got their education. Take notes and listen to what they're saying.
  2. Add the books they suggest to your Amazon wish list and start buying them. Not every book is well-written, of course, but I really think you should be devouring the information. If you're not, part of that is a sign of a poorly-written book, but if you find it's always a slog, regardless of the writer and the specific topic, it may be time to rethink your career change.
  3. See if you can volunteer in the area. Nonprofits may be a place to start. Make it clear that you are new and are feeling your way. Obviously they cannot pay you. You are working for the experience and for recommendations. Even if you are not very good at things, you'll make a good impression if you work hard, learn from your mistakes, are ultra-courteous and professional and take constructive criticism well.
  4. Career changes usually mean a corresponding dip in pay until you get more experience, so get your financial house in as much order as possible. If you can learn (see #3) while you still have your old job (or at least while you're still collecting Unemployment), that will be best.
  5. Attend industry events and meetings. Meetup is beyond excellent for this. Many of these events are free or at a nominal cost (you usually have to pay for your own drinks and lunch, though). Make friends with the people you meet there, tell them you are a job seeker and trying to get into the biz. Go back to #1 and get a one-to-one meeting with them and pick their brains.
  6. Above all, enjoy the process. It is a process and it does not happen overnight. But it can really happen.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 01:19 pm
Thanks Jespah! I've already been networking. I'd say that the people I've met have been more of the inspiration to switch tracks so perhaps I'm off to a good start.

I'm an Aerospace Engineer, but I'm very interested in sustainable and green housing public transit.

Aerospace
Recyclable
Transit?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 03:03 pm
Some of our interests intersect, Art. (Green housing, public transit) I've switched a couple of times, each for the better re my own satisfaction - from immunology research tech to studying for four more years (night classes) at the same time as working full time in landscape architecture, to being a project manager at an interesting land arch firm, to having my own firm(s), one with an art gallery (I'm also a painter, but that's not a change). I have financial problems, but those are mostly unrelated to the career choices.

Somewhere in the middle of that, probably in one of the heavy recessions, and when I was most driven-interested in land use issues, I considered working at a local think tank. A friend with a doctorate straightened me out, as in "no, honey, you need a PhD". Whether or not that was true, I had further qualms about that particular tank, and just kept on keeping on.

Jespah's advice seems right on. I'd also look into conferences being held re your interest area.

Some old a2k land use threads - not all re green buildings/transportation.
I know I started a lot of threads about small houses/prefabs but forget whatever tags I gave them.
http://able2know.org/tag/land_use/

A link you might look at, that covers a lot of architecture, but also covers a lot of eco issues: http://www.archnewsnow.com/

The newsletter comes near every day; I often skip over it, or delete without looking, but sometimes I learn a lot. Perhaps you'll learn of firms doing interesting work.
jespah

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 04:45 pm
@ossobuco,
A green rocket ... I can see it now ....
ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 06:47 pm
@jespah,
That sounds gaseous..
ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Kidding.. I'd like to see F'art work this out.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 06:54 pm
I'm working on my resume tonight and then I can get it approved by security so I can post it up. I'll see who bites.

A
R
T
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 07:08 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I'm an Aerospace Engineer, but I'm very interested in sustainable and green housing public transit.

Now that would be a revolution. A public transportation system where people live and reside in. But aren't these called mobile homes?
failures art

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 07:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm also interested in commas...

A
R
T
margo

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:03 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I'm also interested in commas...

A
R
T

But not in using them Wink
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 12:31 am
My girlfirend is goign to introduce me to a co-worker of hers at NOAA who works in NESDIS over coffee this coming weekend! We also talked about it, and she has a friend in DC who has his own green corporate renovation start-up company! She's going to try and introduce me to him as well. Hooray for networking!

I've also set up accounts on DCjobs and USAjobs so I can put my resume up once security approves it.

A
R
T
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 06:40 am
Excellent! Monster, of course, too. Dunno if dice.com would be a good place for your resume as they are close to being strictly IT.
failures art

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:21 am
@jespah,
Security gave me the green light on my resume! Hooray!

I have an intermediate step before I get over ambitious with external employment searches. I need to send my resume to my manager (who I haven't seen in some 4 months >:C ) so I have officially get my level increase and new title. I'm due now for the increase and being able to put a higher level on my resume will help qualify me for more jobs potentially.

I had forgot about Monster.com. I'll set up an account there too. I certainly can't hurt.

A
R
T
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:25 am
@failures art,
All of this sounds green light. Watch re girlfriend dependency..
failures art

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:28 am
@ossobuco,
Haha... give me some credit here. Cool

I've got my sources too.

A
R
Time to network network network
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:39 am
@failures art,
The archnewsnow site just had interesting stuff today, not that it is some kind of job mobile., just that days vary. Sometimes it's all very boring and sometimes stuff crops up, if you are interested in green.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:45 am
@failures art,
I trained as an Electrical Engineer, and I remember seeing (and being alarmed about ) some figures about how few people were still working in the field 10-20 years after graduation. A good number moved into sales and management which had some use for the original skills, but a lot where doing stuff not related at all.

You should check this out...it will give you confidence that what you are feeling is normal. Also think about how much in demand ex career military are when they almost always go into something not related to warrioring. It is the qualities that you have picked up, it is your proven ability to learn, your track record at succeeding in what ever you do..... these things matter more to many employers than do skill sets. Good people can pick up skills fast, but good people are often hard to find.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 02:14 pm
Resume is off to my manager. Now I wait.

A
Resume
T
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:26 pm
I registered for the GRE yesterday. I did this in case I stay with my company. If I stay with them, I have access to educational benefits. Honestly, had I taken care of this when I got the job, i'd be finished with my MS now. But then again, the time might not have been right. I was pretty burned-out on school when I finished. I needed some time away from college land.

A
R
T