Is everyone paranoid about their performance appraisals?

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:09 pm
Or is it just me and the other neurotics?

I mean, are there people who DON'T have flutters about the damn things?

I had mine yesterday.

My current supervisor makes me less nervous I must say, but I have always hated the things.

It went really by the way, thank you for asking.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:18 pm
@dlowan,
hate 'em

doesn't matter if I think I'm doing brilliantly or not, I hate 'em
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:19 pm
@dlowan,
Most of mine were swell, and one wasn't, somewhere midway, but naturally, I remember it. That passed, I had probably sassed.

Actually, that's too easy. Things were readjusting, which might or not have not been wise. After later years, even the boss left.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:27 pm
@dlowan,
Not a bit paranoid.

I'm on SS disability and working p/t establishing my own business, trying to establish (without doing weddings) having relocated to a retirement area in So. FL.

No reviews..just not revenue yet.

I'll trade 'ya!
dlowan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:31 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

hate 'em

Thank you!! I am not alone!!
Chumly

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:32 pm
Every 10 weeks my students fill out an appraisal report which gets forwarded to the top brass and to myself as well. Do I like 'em? No not much.

But I'm so used to being in front of people and getting responses from them, whether that be teaching or playing music, that it's just part of the overall stress-factor of being employed, and being in the public eye.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:33 pm
@Chumly,
Yeh, I've had those. They love me, they love me.

They hate me...
dlowan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:38 pm
@Chumly,
Oh..we have the folk we teach fill them out every time we do a teaching thing.

But I think adults are nicer than kids.

Yours are kids, right?
dlowan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:38 pm
@Ragman,
No thank you.

But bonne chance!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:41 pm
I've never had a bad one, and thankfully, I do well enough at my job that they usually come with decent raises.

I put literally zero thought/time into them. I'm usually asked to provide input to help my manager write them, I rarely give them any info at all. My meetings to go over them are over in minutes and I rarely have any questions.
dlowan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:50 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

hate 'em

Thank you!! I am not alone!!

I may be mad, but I am not alone!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:51 pm
@dlowan,
I'm with you all the way dlowan, always hated and regarded them as a complete and utter waste of time, particularly after two of my supervisors were convicted of serious crimes and were sentenced to long terms in prison. To think that those two hypocrites passedd judgement on my performance makes me want to spew.
dlowan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:52 pm
@maporsche,
Oh goddess!

Ours take ages.

Teeny weeny minute detail questions about all aspects of job are asked.

We have to fill 'em in, and manager fill them in, then you come together and...well...merge.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:53 pm
@Dutchy,
Dutchy wrote:

I'm with you all the way dlowan, always hated and regarded them as a complete and utter waste of time, particularly after two of my supervisors were convicted of serious crimes and were sentenced to long terms in prison. To think that those two hypocrites passedd judgement on my performance makes me want to spew.

That's awful!!!

I have respected most of the folk who have done mine over the years, and have found them useful generally.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:26 pm
Mumpad does a self assesment and her manager does an assesment. they dont seem to bother her although she likes to tell me how she went, both the good things and the not so good things.

I have to fight to get any sort of objective assesment. My boss (small business owner) just goes crook at me if stuff is wrong then i tell him why and make suggestions as to what systems should be in place to avoid said mistake. Then he ignores my advice because that means he has to do something about it.
If he's not bitching I know I'm doing OK.
roger

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:00 pm
@dadpad,
Of course. "Adequate" is as good as it gets in some places. Know why? Because if you really screw up somewhere down the road, they aren't blamed for their endorsement.
dlowan

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 01:20 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Of course. "Adequate" is as good as it gets in some places. Know why? Because if you really screw up somewhere down the road, they aren't blamed for their endorsement.

For real?

You guys really live in a legalocracy, don't you, you poor things.
roger

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 01:36 am
@dlowan,
Good neology. It does seem to raise some barriers to ultimate performance. IBM used to have a tag line that read something like "Nobody ever got fired for recommending IBM".
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 05:25 am
This is where temping/freelancing/consulting/whatever you feel like calling it is a truly wonderful thing. It is, essentially, pass/fail. You perform well, they continue your contract. You don't, they don't. If they run out of money, they also don't renew, but that's not a personal thing.

I had to push for a 3-month review (which, by the time it was gotten around to, was a 6-monther) at my last job because I was flailing and receiving no direction. My mentor and I thought I'd be able to at least nail some jello to the wall. Instead, it was kinda fluffy and weird and we (both me and my supervisor, and others) were laid off about a half a year after that, anyway.

My current thing is too early for appraisals, but the way I got myself hired was to essentially show them what I could do for the first few weeks. Which they noticed, which is a helluva lot more than I can say for the publishing company.

At the insurance company, they were rigidly formal (no great surprise there) and a grand occasion for the powers that be to tell you how lousy you were as a person and how you barely deserved this horrible, low-paying job they were deigning to let you do. Therefore, I did what I could to get decent skills, and left them once the economy rebounded and my skills were up to snuff and in demand.

Sounds like your review is somewhat formal but positive. Which is good, but I gotta say, I cannot shake the feeling, when I get a performance review, that I'm being called into the principal's office.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 05:56 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Or is it just me and the other neurotics?

I mean, are there people who DON'T have flutters about the damn things?
Yeah, I have no flutters whatsoever.

David