Whatever happened to suave? to charming?

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:59 am
I guess that the movies gave us an image of "swave and de-boner," of Paul Henried lighting simultaneous cigarettes for himself and for Bette Davis, of men in trim tuxedoes who dance lightly with women in flowing chiffon.

There was some questioning, among movie critics, in the early 1980s about what ever happened to charming with a few regrets about how today's screen heroes were essentially boys.

Of course, it is a little disjoint to think of the sophisticated "bachelor" from a time when people married rather younger than people do today. It may be disjoint to think of glamor in the age of the blue jean or of the old rituals in the post-feminist era . . .

but.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:00 am
@plainoldme,
I guess I'm not sure who that image appeals to.

Cycloptichorn
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:26 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I guess I'm reacting to the men . . . even men my age . . . around me who either look like ZZTop or sport dreds.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:26 am
@plainoldme,
A 61 year old man in dreds is not a pretty sight.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:27 am
Seriously, I would love to see a little "swave and de-boner."
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:32 am
I think this is the image you have in mind:

http://prommafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Vintage-tuxedo.jpg

But reality is more like:

http://images.inmagine.com/img/inmagineasia/ins005/ins005525.jpg
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:21 am
@Francis,
No. IT is the furthest thing from my mind on several counts. One being that were I to marry again, the most surprised person would be me. Two, that is one hell of a drab wedding dress.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 02:44 pm
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs109.snc3/15707_384498312877_787902877_3716100_1157594_n.jpg
I think I keep it classy.

A
R
T
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 02:51 pm
@failures art,
A little bit of George Clooney mixed with a little bit of Matt Damion! Very Happy
failures art

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 02:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://theprepguide.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/up-in-the-air-clooney.jpg

Oh George? Sweet fella'. Taught him all he ever needed to know in an afternoon. He does well enough for himself...

A
R
T
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 03:48 pm
Oh, no, you don't want any sign of return-to-those-days. Look a little closer at those moviestars. The ladies have arms like sticks (you have to starve yourself to stay that thin without exercising), the guys have that little belly below the belt of the high pockets pants. The beauty, the handsome, didn't last much past 35.

Look at the hair, the hair! Little tight curls, fake waves on the ladies. Greased down hair on the guys.

Won't just clean do?

George

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:13 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I think I keep it classy.

On several levels.
Lookin good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:19 pm
@failures art,
Cool, ArT.

I'm even older that pom and have many observations, and the question is how to rassle them into a illustrative sequence with point boinks... which I am not sure there are, as flux is the river we ride.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:22 pm
i wore a suit once
msolga

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:30 pm
@failures art,
Now that's suave, art!

I must say, you scrub up very well! Very Happy Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:31 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
i wore a suit once

So did I, djjd.

I think it was to a funeral. Wink
littlek

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:32 pm
When my father got dressed up to go (which was almost never) we'd call him swave-bolla.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:35 pm
@msolga,
mine was to a big new years party at a hotel (dinner, dance, hotel room package deal), i wore very nice brand new sneakers with the suit (that was the deal i made, i'd wear the suit if i could wear sneakers) (wonder what ever happened to the suit?)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:40 pm
I've had people on a2k aggravated with me for not wanting the door opened for me all the time. I'm fine with it if we're going to the opera and I plan to wear a long dress which my heel is just bound to snag in. It hasn't happened yet, but has to a pal.

On a daily basis, I can get into my own car to go to the market, and have for decades., unless we are playing dressup.
On formal, honey, I learned from Miss Hanbury.

In a recent few years, I got less able, and it is has been reasonable to watch that I make it, in case I need help.. or to just help, which I get, but I prefer the just, she'll get there.
Lately I've been much better, which is good.

But that is all talking about someone temporarily enfeebled. Most women can open their car doors.

So -

if you are having a big night out, open the door for her. If you are getting a taco, stop with the silliness.
littlek

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:47 pm
@djjd62,
Who did you make the deal with?