Whatever happened to suave? to charming?

djjd62

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:49 pm
@littlek,
a girlfriend at the time

best part, other friends who were there loved the look (i stole from David Letterman, it was the 80's after all)

worst part, girlfriend spent along time looking for her dress, found one she thought was pretty unique that she liked, girl sitting at next table (right behind us) had the same dress, bad night for her
littlek

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:51 pm
@djjd62,
Were the sneakers white?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:51 pm
I suppose I should add that charming has become suspect over the years, oft for good reason.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:53 pm
@littlek,
yep
littlek

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:05 pm
@djjd62,
And... the suit?
djjd62

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:08 pm
@littlek,
a dark charcoal grey (with an almost invisible burgundy vertical stripe) double breasted, white shirt, burgundy tie

shoes were white leather reeboks with three dark red (almost burgundy stripes)
littlek

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:13 pm
@djjd62,
Aha, so the burgundy matched. And the white shirt.
djjd62

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:15 pm
@littlek,
i took the shoes with me to buy the suit, guys at the store were laughing but helped pull it all together
littlek

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:16 pm
@djjd62,
Was this the 80s?
djjd62

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:19 pm
@littlek,
yeah, i edited an earlier post, i guess you missed it

djjd62 wrote:

a girlfriend at the time

best part, other friends who were there loved the look (i stole it from David Letterman, it was the 80's after all)

worst part, girlfriend spent along time looking for her dress, found one she thought was pretty unique that she liked, girl sitting at next table (right behind us) had the same dress, bad night for her
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:22 pm
@Pemerson,
No, no, no . . . I don't want to look like the 30s, 40s and, especially not, the 50s!
My late mother-in-law always wanted me to wear my bangs short, like Claudette Colbert. As beautiful as she was, those bangs were awful.

I never like "retro" fashion . . . although I do like to put on a little Kate Hepburn now and then.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:22 pm
@djjd62,
I did miss it. Had to be the 80s. Or, well, maybe not.
djjd62

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:25 pm
@littlek,
i'm guessing new years '85 into '86 (or '86 into '87)

good times (what i remember of them Razz )
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, but here in MA, that is what people do: hold doors for each other. Men, women, children . . . everyone holds doors for everyone else.

I just think it would be nice to have dinner with a man who doesn't sip my wine, screw up his face and say, "Yuck." Or a man who comes home with a bottle of California jug chablis because I tell him I like whites from Burgundy.

On the other hand, one definition of sophistication is common sense. When you think about it, common sense does make a nice synonym for sophistication because sophistication implies knowing how things work.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:28 pm
@failures art,
You guys appear to be having a good time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:35 pm
@plainoldme,
Interesting.

I'm not inclined to stand back to let the man reach the door to the mall first, or to have him lope ahead to beat me to it, so he can open it for me, when we want to get some icemaker thing at sears. (We've had this argument on a2k already.)
Often we will walk together, and then fine with his holding the door.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Of course, I open doors for other people. It's the idea that I have to wait til a guy opens it for me that is now bizarre but popular in my youth.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:13 pm
Re: door handling.

I also open if I am there first, accept if it's held open for me, hold open for others on occasion....

My issue is with the young'ns I work with. Most kids will hold it open as they go inside until I have caught the door behind them, some kids will hold the door back and let me pass first (which I think is sweet, but a bit silly), some just let the door close in my face - without that behind the back push so I can catch the door. That last one pisses me off. It sort of exemplifies the entitled, self-absorbed-ness of the population I work with.
msolga

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:48 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
I think it was to a funeral. Wink

I think I might have lied about only ever wearing a suit once. (To a funeral.)
I just remembered I got married in one. (& a stylish, way too expensive little number it was, too!)
I also vaguely remember a cute little min-skirted suit from my teens, worn with my favourite hot pink, flower-patterned tights! Very Happy
So I guess we all had our suave moments, at some stage ....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:02 pm
@littlek,
Well, that seems very annoying..
0 Replies