Whatever happened to suave? to charming?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:10 pm
Ms Olga, my husband and I both went shopping, together. He got a Travolta white suit. I got a deal at sak's, a sort of tux like suit. This became funny.
msolga

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Very Happy

Got a photo, osso?
An absolute vision, you two were, by the sounds of it!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 05:11 am
Quote:
Whatever happened to suave? to charming?
**** the lot of ya. I am still as suave and charming as ever.
msolga

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 05:16 am
@Ionus,
Did someone say you weren't?
plainoldme

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 05:48 am
@msolga,
Hmmm. . . . I thought he just arrived.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 06:27 pm
Ahhh.....you do know I was joking ? I am just as suave and charming as ever...meaning I have never been either ? A joke ? I didnt mean to kill the thread....
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 04:24 am
Osso, Alex has one of those white suits, too Smile He can't fit into it anymore but he won't give it away to the shelter Smile He's threatening to wear it to our wedding! But I'm making sure to feed him so well that it still won't fit.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 09:38 am
@Mame,
Ok, ok, by popular demand..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/thewedding.jpg?t=1275492844

plainoldme

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:35 am
@ossobuco,
That's a really cute picture!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 11:29 am
@plainoldme,
Fancy Weddings R Us..
plainoldme

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:06 am
@ossobuco,
I never believed in fancy weddings. Mine cost under $1000. My daughter's cost about $2,000.
djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:14 am
@plainoldme,
weddings have always mystified me, a friend of my mothers remortgaged her house to pay for her daughters wedding, part of the money she got was to build a very nice wooden porch on the front of the house, they were going to take the pictures of the bridal party there, it rained the day of the wedding and for days after, they ended up taking the pictures on the steps of the club where they held the reception (perfectly good spot, and the pictures looked fine)

since then the porch has basically became a place to store junk, well worth the money (insert sarcastic smiley here)
plainoldme

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 02:24 pm
@djjd62,
As the divorce rate rose to 50% of all marriages, lavish spending on a wedding seemed less and less attractive . . . or necessary. Then people began talking about "starter marriages," but still spent the money!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 03:52 pm
@plainoldme,
Our's cost probably under $200., including our famous-to-ourselves suits. The guy next to John, whom I'm calling Dr. G for murky anonymity purposes, took us out to the Twin Dragon restaurant afterwards for a table full of great chinese food. The next day we had probably thirty people to the house, me doing the cooking. Not particularly expensive.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 04:00 pm
@djjd62,
remortgaging for a wedding, eek. I suppose it has happened often.

I learned an early lesson. When I was in college and working in a couple of medical jobs, one of the people allied with an office was a beautiful woman from a wealthy family. Hers was a serious fancy wedding, extravagant in an extravagant part of town, with the prettiest wedding dress I ever did see. The marriage lasted two months.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 05:03 pm
@ossobuco,
the suits!
the smiles!
the drapery!

great photo
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 05:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Interestingly, the males' smiles get more temperate..
Well, we were all staring/smiling at justice of the peace (whatever) who did the ceremony. She herself probably had a story, having a wedding chapel. I was pissed at her, as she surprised us with a reading of the Prophet, which I was by then sick of, just like I was of hearing bits of Rod McKuen.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 05:35 pm
@ossobuco,
I have a memory glimmer that this ceremony cost $35.00.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 08:57 pm
It is interesting that what is considered sophisticated changes with almost every decade. Suave died. Charming is reserved for the very old and the very young.

Remember when bachelors were considered sophisticated and suave? Now, they raise suspicions that they are gay.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 09:00 pm
My wedding. Hmm. My dress was an evening gown from an elegant store it cost $80. Had a bouquet made of dried flowers, pheasant feathers and orchids and a wreath for my hair made of dried baby's breath. We had a champagne toast that cost about $300 in total. Renting the church (Quaker ceremony but did not use the rented space where the Quakers had First Day) cost $50 and the canapes made by the church ladies ran another $50. Had a cake from the best bakery in Wayne County, Michigan.
0 Replies