The A2K World Cup 2010 Striker Fantasy Game

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:35 pm
The Germans played like beginners and the Spaniards certainly deserved the win.
I am sad for my fellow countrymen, but there is always a next time....*sigh*
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:01 pm
My apologies to Paul the Octopus.
Today the best team won.

(Since no one picked Puyol, the game standings remain as yesterday)
panzade

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:30 pm
Ironic that the Germans always defend the set play so well...except today
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:30 pm
@fbaezer,
Crazy isn't it? Spain isn't underperforming enough to match their customary underachievement.

They might just win the whole thing while playing out of form.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:36 pm
This entire World Cup has been a bit crazy, but there is a certain beauty to it.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:43 pm
I made a half hearted attempt at recording our choices a few days ago. But I neglected to put the name of the country next to the strikers' names.
I think that Villa is the only Spanish player on any of our lists. The Netherlands is represented by Sneijder, Huntelaer, Kuyt, Robben and Van Persie.
Is that about right?
fbaezer

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:44 pm
The latest sighting of Paul the Octopus:

http://echs09beto.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/pulpo-a-la-gallega11.jpg
fbaezer

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:47 pm
@realjohnboy,
Villa is not alone. Iniesta and Xavi are among lmur's choices.
Plus all the players in the game for third place also count (and THAT could include both Müller and Suárez).
lmur

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:54 pm
@fbaezer,
This will be the first time that The Netherlands and Spain have ever met in a major tournament (World Cup or European Championship).

I can't see Spain dominating the midfield as they did against the Germans. Van Bommel and de Jong will be kicking lumps out of Iniesta, Xavi et al. Spain may be forced to alter their tactics and get the ball out wide rather than trying to pass their way through the middle.

Expect a few goals in the 3rd place play-off - Klose at least has something to play for (all-time goalscoring record).

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 10:34 am
@lmur,
I also believe that the Netherlands will take home the trophy, Spain was lucky
in many ways....
and I am still bummed out that Germany played so poorly and lost to Spain. Sad
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 04:54 am
@lmur,
Quote:
Expect a few goals in the 3rd place play-off

Get on total goals betting. It will be about 2.5. At £100 a goal a 0-0 will lose you £250. 1-0 lose you £150, 1-1 or 2-0 loses £50 and above that it's the gravy train.

It's really exciting Imur. Hitting the post reveals a new meaning. If it doesn't go up to £1,000 a goal.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 08:29 am
@fbaezer,
Hey. Leave Paul alone. He's won me some $$.

Joe(go Spain!)Nation
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 08:47 am
@Joe Nation,
Paul suggested that Germany will win against Uruguay - I truly hope so!

No go Spain, let the Dutch win this one!!
fbaezer

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 01:57 pm
Paul, you are forgiven:

http://static.latercera.com/20100709/999330_400.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 02:13 pm
According to our news Holland were the best backed team up to the point that Paul delivered his verdict. Since then Spain are the best backed team.

Which I read as meaning that a lot of gamblers were undecided and they have had their minds made up for them by this idiotic method. And no wonder they are undecided when the result can turn on a fraction of an inch in one moment of the 90 minutes. Spain have the best goalkeeper though. Which does not mean he won't make a mistake.

I assume Paul's owner is predicting the results and puts some Octopussy pherenome on the flag he wants the tentacled glob of protoplasm to embrace.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 02:33 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm for the Dutch, even though I bet their win will turn whatever tide is happening with the standings (not that I've studied all that); I'm torn re Germany and Uruguay, liking both of them. Isn't Forlan after some kind of record? I guess I'd like to see him get that.
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 03:23 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not convinced that goals scored in the 3rd place play-off should count in the Golden Boot award. It's a bit of a non-event. Training will have eased off and the players are unlikely to risk injury.
fbaezer

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 03:56 pm
@spendius,
You're not convinced they should, but they do.
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:28 pm
@fbaezer,
Yeah--I know. But if Senor Forlan overtook me for the Golden Boot by scoring twice in what is essentially a "friendly" I would be pissed off. Seriously.

Would you not be?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 12:18 pm
Klose is not playing, so I need to change my players

1. Mueller (Germany)
2. Villa (Spain)
3. Schweinsteiger (Germany
4. Snijder (Netherlands)
5. Forlan (Uruguay)