The A2K World Cup 2010 Striker Fantasy Game

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:02 pm
As an apology I offer World Cup, American-style:
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:00 am
I've just found out how originally the official World Cup ball should have looked alike - glad they decided for the second, actual alternative Wink

http://i49.tinypic.com/2r5qgj8.jpg
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:38 am
@Robert Gentel,
That's good stuff.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:06 am
@Robert Gentel,
Hilarious, because it's so true to type..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:49 am
I'm looking around for some delirium about the game... nothing? Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

That was awesome...!!!!
panzade

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:58 am
@sozobe,
Did you see goalie Tim Howard set up that goal? Wheee!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:04 am
@panzade,
Yayy, Donovan, and cool, Howard..
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 12:35 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I'm looking around for some delirium about the game... nothing? Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

A
R
That was awesome...!!!! We do have a flair for the dramatic, no?

spendius

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:08 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
I'm looking around for some delirium about the game... nothing?

Try the sportsdesks in Media. They had two delerium possibilities. If we went through and if we returned home in disgrace. The latter is the best delerium for most sportswriters. But winning the cup itself is the best one of all. And they won't win it playing like that. Some of the Slovenians ran like they were carrying two suitcases. And they almost got an equaliser.

But congratulations to the USA team for topping the group. Cutting it a bit fine though they did. I said they would qualify months ago.

The way the system works now means that the USA and England can't meet again unless it's in the final.

Wouldn't that be something?
failures art

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:21 pm
@spendius,
That would be something. Germany will stand in the way of one of us. However, watching how the match with Ghana is going, I'm wondering if they are as uber as I had previously placed them...

A
R
T
panzade

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:31 pm
@failures art,
Ghana looks to be able to prevail if they don't tire.
panzade

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:59 pm
@panzade,
they be tired
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:27 pm
oops
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:22 pm
Germany beats Ghana. Both advance to the next stage as do England and the U.S. When do we have to make changes to our rosters?
fbaezer

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:07 pm
Current standings, Donovan boosts the US... and Calamity Jane. Rooney is now officially a flop (to say nothing about Crouch). George was robbed of 1 unexpected point by the referee.

1. Calamity Jane 26
2. Francis 22
3. fbaezer 20
3. Robert Gentel 20
5. McGentrix 16
6. ehbeth 16
7. ossobuco 15
8. Sjaradona 14
9. Pantalones 13
10. Realjohnboy 10
10. lmur 10
10. Walter Hinteler 10
13. George 8
14. Don Camilo 6
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

When do we have to make changes to our rosters?

At any time.
If you don't update your roster, the old one will count.
Remember that this phase includes both the round of 16 and the quarterfinals.
And all of you who came late to the thread, it's time to enter, and win this leg.
fbaezer

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:37 pm
With 4 games left, it's mathematically impossible for several players to win this leg.

Don Camilo can't win. If Van Persie scores a lot of goals, George will defeat him. If Fabiano and Villa are superscorers, many other A2Kers will defeat him.

RJB can't win. His only strikers left are Fabiano and Villa, and he has them placed in lower spots than players who also have those strikers in their rosters.

A similar thing happens to ossobuco, who has Ronaldo (as CJ) and Villa (as Robert Gentel) but in lower spots.

Our present runner-up, Francis, is indeed mathematically out of the race. His only live striker for the leg is Ronaldo, but in a lower spot than CJ.

Other players are in a situation as desperate as Ivory Coast's:

McGentrix needs a hat-trick by Fabiano AND exactly one goal by Ronaldo AND Villa to score less than 2 goals.

George needs a hat-trick by Van Persie AND 2 goals by Jong-Tae-Se, AND no goals from Fabiano, Ronaldo and Villa.

All Pantalones needs to win is to Lucas Barrios from Paraguay make a hat-trick against New Zealand, and Luis Fabiano and Ronaldo not to score (or Ronaldo to score one less than Villa).

For some others, to win would be a huge miracle:

ehbeth needs 6 goals by El NiƱo Torres AND Fabiano not to score 2 goals, AND Ronaldo and Villa scoreless.

Walter is in similar situation, only worse. he needs about 16 goals from Torres. He's as alive in this leg as Honduras.

Sjaradona needs only 6 goals by Iaquinta AND Villa to score 2 goals, or Iaquinta to score 12 and Villa none. AND Fabiano, Van Persie and Ronaldo cannot score.

lmur can make a lot of ground (4 of his strikers yet to play), but to win he needs 5 goals from Sestak (against Italy), plus other assorted combinations.

This leaves the competition for 1st place open mainly for 3 players and 3 strikers: Cristiano Ronaldo, Luis Fabiano and David Villa.

Calamity Jane wins if Fabiano and Villa together do not score more than one goal, even if Ronaldo does not score.
If Fabiano and Villa score one goal each, or 2 goals each, or 3 goals each, and Ronaldo does not score, then Robert Gentel and fbaezer share the phase title.
If Fabiano scores 2 goals, Villa less than 2 and Ronaldo none, fbaezer gets the title.
If Villa scores 2 goals, Fabiano less than 2 and Ronaldo none, Robert Gentel gets the title.
If Ronaldo scores, the sum of Fabiano's and Villa's goals must be at least 3 for Calamity Jane to lose the title (more Fabiano's goals, my win; more Villa's, Robert's win). For every extra goal by Ronaldo we need and extra goal by either of our players.

---

All this said, let's remember that the overall winner is the one with most points over the 3 phases.
In 2006, the overall winner did not win any of the legs.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:42 pm
@fbaezer,
That is all perfectly clear, Pancho.
George

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
George needs a hat-trick by Van Persie
AND 2 goals by Jong-Tae-Se,
AND no goals from Fabiano, Ronaldo and Villa.

No problem.
Start etching my medal.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:51 pm
@George,
You're so sharp, Pancho, I'll believe anything you say. Unfortunately, it all sounds right.
0 Replies