Now I Can Tell You Everything by Richard Blumenthal

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:51 pm
News Reports: Richard Blumenthal, candidate for Senate from Connecticut, admitted Friday that, on occasion, he may have misstated his military service record.

Good morning and welcome to my third press conference regarding statements I have made in the past about my past. I thought I would take this opportunity to clear up a number of issues:

1) Despite mentioning to many of you that Gloria Estefan and I were once engaged to be married, I remember now only that we were once on the same dance floor at a very nice country club.

2) That the summer I spent working with Walt Disney’s Imagineers was really more like a weekend in August of 1979 where I sang all the verses of “It’s a Small World After All” while going through the ride thirty times in a row. Maybe twenty. At least three times, I’m sure.

3) That, although my golfing buddies know how much I like to tell the story about me and three Swedish stewardesses at the Master’s Tournament, in the future if I ever refer to that story it will be about Eleanor Janowitz and the sand trap at #6 of the Mashapaug Country Club. She did take her top off, but that was about it.

4) I have never actually clerked for former Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, I did meet one of his staff at a party in Virginia and we talked and talked for like hours.

5) I really wanted to go on Outward Bound several summers but mostly I just camped out in a big house on Cape Cod near Wellfleet with a bunch of guys from Cambridge. Not Harvard students, they really were from Cambridge.

6) The work I have done to help the orphans of Rwanda has been less like driving a four-wheel truck through the muck and mire and more like sending a fat check to Sally Struthers ever other year or so.

7) Regarding my winning a Tony Award for Best Song, it was my singing rendition of “Send in the Clowns” which won First Place at the Coogan’s All New York Karaoke Contest in 1989.

8) Apparently I have never swum the length of the Connecticut River; I got that mixed up with that time I did a complete over and back at Lake Congamong up near the Massachusetts border.

9) My family has asked that I reveal that our mother never served us cigarettes and whiskey for breakfast, though I hasten to add that on several occasions the maple syrup she poured on our pancakes was decidedly cold.

10) Lastly, just to be completely clear, any bullets that I claimed to have dodged during my stint in the Marines were likely to be Coors Silver Bullets, probably at Coogan’s and I probably didn’t dodge too many.

Okay, that’s it. See you tomorrow to talk about the recent reports that I didn’t help write the screenplay for “The Graduate”.
--- Joe( I tried really hard not to write this)Nation

panzade

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:10 pm
@Joe Nation,
Oh, I do enjoy your sarcasm Joey!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:22 am
Thanks. At first, I was so pissed off I couldn't see straight. What, I asked myself, is so wrong with people that they can't speak the simple truth that, even though they did serve in the Reserves, they were never in harm's way?

Friday, I listened to Mark Shields speak to Jim Lehrer (both ex-Marines) discuss how he has always made sure he said that he was in the military "after Korea and before Viet Nam." and that it just wasn't right to infer, even slightly, that you were in a combat zone when you were not.

The difference between "in Viet Nam" and "during the Viet Nam era" is the same as the difference between "lightning" and "lightning bug".

What do you think?

Joe(Thanks to Sam Clemens for the 'bug' line.)Nation
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:41 am
I am a Vietnam era vet. I did not see a moment's action.
It doesn't hurt me to admit it.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:44 am
@Joe Nation,
Good analogy!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:45 am
@Joe Nation,
It is a widely held belief that Al Gore invented the internet. A lesser known tidbit of truthiness is that Richard Blumenthal founded both Facebook and Twitter and Google.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:48 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

The difference between "in Viet Nam" and "during the Viet Nam era" is the same as the difference between "lightning" and "lightning bug".

What do you think?

Joe(Thanks to Sam Clemens for the 'bug' line.)Nation

I was born in 1971! Does that qualify me to be a Vietnam veteran as well? Surprised
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:50 am
@edgarblythe,
Me too, edgar, me too.

Joe(fought in the sands of West Texas and the beaches of Florida and Puerto Rico)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:23 am
Da Tsar asked:
Quote:
I was born in 1971! Does that qualify me to be a Vietnam veteran as well?

This is the kind of question we like to answer here at the Veterans desk of able2know (Formally the Veterans Affairs Desk. It had to be changed after several staff members expressed disappointment over the number of affairs (zero) the desk was actually generating.)

Tsarstevie:
Yah,sure. Being born in 1971 absolutely entitles you to all the benefits that all the other Viet Nam era veterans receive, but you do have to go through a short course of indoctrination, er, cultural exploration in order to fully fit in with your other comrades-in-arms (Don't ask, don't tell!, pookie).

Do the following for two weeks:
Constantly use the phrase "No, sweat GI" to answer any question.
Listen only to the music of Cream, Santana and Jefferson Airplane.
(On a boom box, no ******* headsets or earphones.)
Never say Viet Nam. Say "Nam" , doesn't matter if you make it rhyme with 'Mom' or 'Bam'. Use each interchangeably.
Buy and wear a battered Marine green baseball hat (not backwards!) pulled down tightly over your ears. Almost touching the sunglasses you never take off. Never.
If someone asks you where you served, do not speak! Grunt something and look off into the distance with a 10,000 yard stare.

Wait by your mailbox for your benefits to arrive. They will.

Joe(sure they will)Nation
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:46 am
Dear Joe Nation,

I visited my dad one day at his office in the Watergate building and noticed a couple of suspicious characters loitering around. Would it be wrong to hint to my friends that I helped crack the Watergate burglary case?
dyslexia

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 08:35 am
Robert McNamara was a military genius.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 08:52 am
@panzade,
Pan:
Even if you only read about Watergate in the papers, you helped solve the puzzle. Yes, you did. I can prove it.

As you know, quantum physics tells us that the mere observation of a phenomenon affects both the phenomena and the observer which in this case we will call "The Phenom". So, by merely paying attention to Watergate, maybe by doing as little as catching Imus in the Morning grousing about it for thirty seconds as you dialed around trying to find some decent rockandroll anywhere, on any frigging New York station.

"Jesusgod" as the hatted one would say in those days,"finding anything with a beat is impossible. " Of course, we wondered just how long Imus would be able to hear a beat or have a heartbeat. I digress.

The point is, you did it, Phenom, you and all and everyone who glanced at a passing bus with it's Nixon's the One banner ad on it's side and muttered:

Joe(he sure the hell is.)Nation

PS: You can now also tell your friends that you are officially a phenom.
PPS: Is it freaky to you how much the word Phenom looks like the first word of Phnom Penh? It's killing my buzz.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:05 am
@dyslexia,
Did he tell you that, dys, because that's what he said the night that he and I and Wilbur Mills went to see Fanne Fox the second time.

Joe(I knew I shouldn't have bought that third round)Nation
rabel22

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:42 am
@Joe Nation,
So does he fact I was against the Viet war, not the soilders forced to fight there, make me a Viet person?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:48 am
@Joe Nation,
well Joe my thinking is that Robert created the Ford Falcon and then went on to lose a war after winning every battle.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 11:39 am
@dyslexia,
Among his many mistakes was replacing the Cherrystone Radio http://www.rwonline.com/oldcontentimages/tn_t.10995_i.01_rwf-milestone-1-radio.jpg with the rectangular AM/FM one.

As for winning and losing, um, those gathered near the Potomac never got just how determined those gathered by the Red River in Hanoi were to standing by the Mekong. I think we could have won ten thousand battles and they would have seeped in and around us until we were knee deep, then waist-deep, then swimming for our lives.

Joe(our boat was sinking from the Spring of '68,)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 12:08 pm
Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Nukes.
Benjamin: Just how do you mean that, sir?
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 12:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
I remember that so differently. I also remember driving up to San Jose to see if we could find the fountain.

Joe(now I don't remember if we did)Nation
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 01:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
He did not. To his eternal regret, he invented the Electoral College.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:09 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Re: tsarstepan (Post 3997346)
He did not. To his eternal regret, he invented the Electoral College.

And, if the rumors are true, the College of Cardinals. He tried to start a College of the Milwaukee Braves but the winters were too cold.
It's also interesting that he invented the two pronged electrical plug. His father had invented the wall socket, but it has languished unused for years because there was nothing to stick in it.
Once he had both the plug and the socket, he, as Alistair Cooke once put it, saw the situation whole. Struck by the cold resemblance to the relationships of his own life, he created Romantic Love receiving a patten for it in 1927. He receives a quarter of a cent every time a song plays on the radio which refers in any way, shape or form to a romantic relationship. He and Bob Dylan have been in court for almost twenty years now, trying to decide if "Tangled up in Blue" is a love song.

You never know where these connections will take you.

Like the time he was working as a maître d' and Edward G. Robinson threatened to shoot him.

Joe(No, no, I said "Your waiter will be with you shortly" )Nation