Anybody know where to get PINE NUTS for cheap?

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 03:31 pm
Ive got 12 basil plants in and, we will be swimming in basil in several weeks. We like pesto and although we can handle the cheese prices, the pine nuts are outrageously dear. I dont know why I gotta spend like 5 bucks for a little pack of the damn things.
Help needed to find some cheap pine nuts by mail

ebrown p

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 03:38 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I dont know why I gotta spend like 5 bucks for a little pack of the damn things.

What do you expect? You think pine nuts grow on trees?
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 03:39 pm
@ebrown p,
bRRRROOOOOOOMMMMMM TSSHSHHHHHHH
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 03:42 pm
I agree with the pine nuts wail. On the other hand, I think they grow somewhere nearby me on trees, not that access would be easy, and I seem to remember the trees are in some kind of blight trouble.

I make pesto of about anything, parsley and walnuts, for example, and I've saved some recipes for cilantro pesto. But basilico seems to cry for pine nuts. I suppose there is some online supplier, but then you have to pay the shipping costs.

Hey, you're in PA, farmer, how about some big fat italian grocery store?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 03:43 pm
@farmerman,
No, but if you want, I'll keep an eye out for them in the fall. They often sell them by the roadside on the way to Albuquerque, though I still wouldn't call them cheap. Availability kind of depends on rainfall, and we're not off to a good start. These would be pinion nuts, by the way.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 03:47 pm
@roger,
This makes me want to plant one. There was a dead one here when I moved in.

http://desertgardens.suite101.com/article.cfm/pinion_the_desert_pine
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 03:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Aha, much as I suspected, pignoli are usually from the italian stone pine, Pinus pinea, a whole different tree than the pinyon.. (Pinus edulis)

Here's a source, off the top of the google list for pignoli + italian market + pennsylvania --

http://www.doma-italian-market.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=pignoli&search_in_description=1&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&manufacturers_id=&pfrom=&pto=&dfrom=&dto=&x=28&y=9
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 03:57 pm
@farmerman,
bulkfoods.com.

Here's a direct link to the pine nuts. Be sure and browse the rest of the stuff they have. I can vouch for their quality. I order quite a few things from them, mostly herbs, dried fruits, nuts and grains.

Pine nuts

Pine Nuts 1 pound
Whole shelled natural raw pine nut kernels.
Wholesale Cost only ... $32.41

That's $2 and change an ounce. They sell them in 5 pound and 22 pound quantities, if you need more than that. Keep a small jar of them on the shelf and put the rest in the freezer to be used as needed so they don't go rancid.
sullyfish6

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 03:58 pm
If you wanted a pallet of them, no problem.

Any wholesaler distributors around? you may be able to order them a little abore wholesale if you work with a local store who can order them in for you. But be prepared to have to take a case of them.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
Also, in case you weren't aware of it, you can mince the basil and add a bit of water to it before filling ice cube trays to freeze before storing the frozen cubes in plastic freezer storage bags. Just thaw what you need and add the rest of the ingredients.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pesto-Freezing-Method/
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:04 pm
@farmerman,
You can make pesto with other nuts (eg cashews...and other herbs, if it comes to that).

Or make it with half raw cashews, or blanched almonds, and half pine nuts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
Huh, that place I linked was $8.50 for a half pound. Not counting shipping, of course. Maybe there is an ital market near Farmer that he could just stop in..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:15 pm
Thanks for the inpuit. Im taking a look at the Italian Market site. Philly has one of the best known Italian Markets (its a fav spot for the mob to do hits during the nicer months when people spend more time out of doors)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:19 pm
@farmerman,
I couldn't find them on that site (not that I looked at the whole thing) but I bet they are there.. How else can bakers make the brutto ma buono cookies...
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Ugly rock cake? what the hell is ugly rock cake.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:36 pm
currently due to crop production this year, local roasted/salted pinions are selling for $29 lb here in albaturkey. If you're interested I will check the roadside stands for raw nuts.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:50 pm
@farmerman,
Leave 'em for the grizzly bears, FM.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:52 pm
I picked a couple pounds of them in Northern NM. It was probably illegal, but.....

walnuts are commonly used instead of pinenuts. But with pine nuts, a little goes a long way.
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:54 pm
@littlek,
Maybe, if I can get my wife to consdier starting a failing pesto business, we can swing out to NM and pick pinons asa business expense . Hopefully before we have to go out of business.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:59 pm
@farmerman,
Ugly but Good italian cookies, made with pignoli.
0 Replies