Anybody know where to get PINE NUTS for cheap?

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:05 am
@farmerman,
Yes, I wouldn't buy Chinese pine nuts. We get them down here cheaper from
Mexico, haven't checked the prices though...

Here are some price comparison for you
http://www.nextag.com/pine-nuts/products-html
roger

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:20 am
@CalamityJane,
You know what? I recently used nextag to check on tire prices and spent the next week staring at tire ads at the bottom of the page. It got kind of boring after awhile.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:57 am
@littlek,
I agree - those suckers are expensive, but you don't have to use alot. I love them in salads and just suck it up and spend the money.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:10 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Why not experiment with a few different batches of pesto, using different nuts?

That's only things that other cultures must do, Ms O. Americans have a god given right to exploit the earth's resources as they see fit. Those same Americans are also charged with ensuring that everyone, except them, toes the line of probity, fairness and goodness.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:39 pm
Now to search local nurseries to see if I can find a small sized Pinus edulis, native here as we'd surmise. That would probably provide good contrast to my Forestiera neomexicana (new mexican olive). Hey, what zone are you in, Calamity? Sunset zones are 1 - 11 and 14 -21.. When I lived in Venice, I was in zone 24, but not very far inland was #21..

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:31 am
@JTT,
Quote:
That's only things that other cultures must do, Ms O. Americans have a god given right to exploit the earth's resources as they see fit. Those same Americans are also charged with ensuring that everyone, except them, toes the line of probity, fairness and goodness.

Oh I don't know about that, JTT.
I think many of us were conditioned (via various cooking "authorities" & authors of cookbooks) to think that pesto automatically meant pine nuts. I know I did, for quite a time. It was only when pine nuts became so expensive & their quality deteriorated at the same time, that I considered other alternatives. But till then, it was more a matter of ignorance of the alternatives for me. You live & learn about other ways of doing the same old things as you go.
dlowan

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:46 am
@msolga,
I love cashew pestos.
msolga

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:50 am
@dlowan,
I haven't done a cashew pesto yet, Deb. But you've inspired me!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:48 am
typically, you only get a crop of pine nuts about every 6 years.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 10:35 am
@farmerman,
My former Sicilian neighbours made a mighty fine almond/basil pesto.

ahhhh Pesto trapanese

Walnut's also good, but almond mmmmm
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 10:57 am
@ehBeth,
we talked about almonds or pistachios. Maybe thats the key, try something really new and see what it tastes like. Weve got a whole bunch of basil bushes growing.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 11:40 am
@farmerman,
Check out pine nuts for sale in New Mexico. Later in the year, in addition to what you can buy in grocery stores, they are plentiful in farmers markets and it seems like every bare lot along the major streets have trucks with pine nuts for sales.

BBB
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:31 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
How much? Im just about convinced into trying EhbEths recipe.
roger

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:34 pm
@dyslexia,
Followed by an outbreak of Hanta virus.
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:39 pm
@roger,
you know how to keep from getting Hanta dont you?
msolga

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 02:30 am
Here's a recipe I found for walnut pesto. I haven't tried it with the spinach & rocket, but it sounds pretty good to me. I guess you could just leave them out & add more basil, if you prefer the pure basil taste. I'd probably add considerably more olive oil, but that's a matter of taste. :

Pasta with basil and walnut pesto

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh basil leaves
2 cups trimmed fresh spinach
1 cup trimmed rocket
1/3 cup walnut pieces
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon olive oil
370 g spaghettini or similar
fresh basil sprigs to garnish
1/2 lemon to serve

Preparation:

1. Place the basil, spinach and rocket in a colander. Wash the leaves well under cold running water. Shake to dry. Transfer the leaves to a food processor.
2. Add the walnuts, Parmesan cheese and garlic and process until finely chopped. With the machine still running, slowly drizzle the oil through the feed tube, processing until the pesto is thick.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet directions; drain. Toss the pasta with the pesto in a large serving bowl until evenly coated. Garnish with the basil sprigs, squeeze the lemon juice over the pasta and serve.

~

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 02:33 am
Quote:
Anybody know where to get PINE NUTS for cheap?
About 60 ft up a PINE TREE.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 03:12 am
Read page 1, and then it hit me, maybe Trader Joe's has them reasonably, so i googled them and found they were at the price point FM was complaining about, and their nuts seem to be connected with a lot of the bitter-taste disturbance people are reporting for pine nuts, probably Chinese, according to google. Too bad, because I like a lot of Trader Joe's stuff. The bitter taste doesn't seem to be toxic, or from any contaminants that anyone has found, but it apparently occurs in nuts from a lot of different sources. So maybe alterna-pesto is the way to go for the next couple years, at least, until China gets a handle on their crop.
roger

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 03:37 am
@farmerman,
Please tell.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 04:01 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
The bitter taste doesn't seem to be toxic, or from any contaminants that anyone has found,
HArdly a statement theyd want on their "pine nut advertisement".

"TRY TRADER JOES PINE NUTS< THEYRE NON TOxIC

Roger:--Quit sticking deer mice down yer pants.
0 Replies