Anybody know where to get PINE NUTS for cheap?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 05:10 pm
@farmerman,
No stone pines in the east? (I don't know - I've seen them in Rome (etc) and Los Angeles and probably in the SF area).
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 05:40 pm
@ossobuco,
we used stone pines for tree ring climate studies in the Trans Med areas. It is a short lived but highly environmentally sensitive tree that can uptake and record climate data with its 4 part annual ring system. Its not able to live in the icy east coast of US. I know theyve got some over at the Longwood arboretum but theyre under a huuge desertt canopy
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 06:30 pm
@farmerman,
Short lived but also needing time to grow.. I love 'em though. I have some weird memory of layers viewed from the train, involving stone pines, olives, then (almonds?). A minute in time..
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 06:32 pm
@ossobuco,
almond is another tree that is good fro tree ring analyses, as are most nut trees. Olives, not so much, they have a habit of going dormant for several growing seasons and their rings are kind of screwy, and are pretty much only usable for dating cross plots..
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 06:37 pm
@ossobuco,
And, I have a bunch of old post cards of rome, stone pines dotting the photos, captured time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 06:39 pm
@farmerman,
Plus in, was it? '86, a lot olives plotzed.

I've done a painting of stricken olives, but, alas, it was my take on some tiny photo in a magazine, so not my original thing.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:45 pm
@farmerman,
Do you know where your nuts come from?

Quote:

Whitebark Pine Communities

Whitebark Pine and Wildlife: With large seeds high in fats, whitebark pine trees are an important source of food for many animal species. Red squirrels and Clark's nutcrackers usually harvest the lion's share of whitebark pine seeds. Grizzly bears and black bears raid squirrel caches that contain whitebark cones to get pine seeds, one of their favorite foods. Other mammals, large and small, and many species of birds also feed on whitebark pine seeds, or pine nuts, as they commonly are called. Because whitebark pine are long-lived and can grow large trunks, they provide valuable cavities for nesting squirrels, northern flickers and mountain bluebirds.

http://www.nrmsc.usgs.gov/research/whitebar.htm
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:46 pm
That's the irony . . . you grow the cheapest ingredient of pesto but have to buy pine nuts and olive oil and parmesan!

Try Trader Joe's . . . or . . . perhaps one of the new chain of coops.
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:53 pm
@plainoldme,
Trader Joes is one of the biggest violators of the "reasonable pine nut" theory that I want. They charge about 5$ for a few oz.
msolga

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 01:13 am
@farmerman,
I think you might find pine nuts pretty expensive wherever you buy them from, farmer. More so in the large quantities you'll need, obviously.
Why not experiment with a few different batches of pesto, using different nuts? Like osso & Deb, I've used walnuts (some Italians actually prefer them) & also almonds (slivered or chopped almonds are good!), when the price of pine nuts is way too prohibitive. But then, there are heaps of Middle Eastern nut shops where I live. The nuts are always fresh, because of constant turn-over. Lots of choices. I don't know what sort of choices you have.
But pesto does not automatically have to mean pine nuts. So long as the nuts are fresh, I think you can't go wrong!

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 01:37 am
@farmerman,
My information is that costco is selling for $27 for 1.5 pounds of the chinese product. 90% of the imports come from china, and there have been complaints about the quality. THis years chinese crop was very bad thus the massive price increases. Hopefully they will be back down in about six months.
dadpad

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:22 am
I put in a plantation of stone pine for a client a few years ago. I cant remeber exactly how many but thousands of trees. You might have to wait a year or two before they fruit though.
Baclava with pine nuts. YYYuuuuuuMMMMMMMM!!!!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:28 am
Has anyone suggested to gather up some VC funds startup the Facebook killer social forum: pinenutsRus.com?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:59 am
@hawkeye10,
Theres a Costco down in WIlmington Delaware. WHen I go down to my supplier of kielbasi , Ill stop over at Costco and check. Thanks bunches all.

Ill also look at subbing some nuts that are less costly in a pesto. My wife was thinking about PISTACHIOS.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:31 am
If you want to purchasse by the case or bulk:

http://www.pinenut.com/case_wholesale_bulk.htm
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:47 am
@sullyfish6,
50 pounds is defiantly BUUUUULLLKKKK!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:47 am
@sullyfish6,
I visited the site and got this message

Quote:
We no longer carry imported shelled pine nuts due to the bitter taste reported by many comsumers around the globe.

Chinese nuts have been adulterated with some sort of chemical so Im never going to consider any food product from China until they get some control over their food industries (That may be never)

But 7 bucks a pound isnt bad. BUT THEYRE STILL IN THE HUSK.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:50 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Chinese nuts have been adulterated with some sort of chemical
that was the allegation, and both corporations and the US government was going to test, but I see no confirmation of this.
farmerman

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:02 am
@hawkeye10,
With all the recent crap from China, Im surprised that they arent getting the message. Its like a robber baron economy opver there. Im afraid when Chinas bubble bursts its gonna be baad.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:06 am
@farmerman,
this started a long time ago....the theory is that they are using species that they should not be..
Quote:
Free AccessTaste disturbances after pine nut ingestion M. Mostin Poisons Centre, Brussels, Belgium Case report: A colleague anaesthesiologist experienced two episodes of taste disturbances after pine nut ingestion. At the first time, he just consumed a handful of pine nuts. Two days later, he developed an episode of taste disturbances (bitter, metallic taste). The disturbances lasted a few days. He made a link between pine nuts and the taste disturbances after the second episode when his wife and friends who shared with him a dish prepared with the same pine nuts complained of a persisting bitter taste sensation 2 days after the meal. Examination of the pine nuts revealed they were oxidized and not fit for consumption. No fungal contamination was found. No explanation was found for the taste disturbances. In the following months, six similar cases were reported to the Poisons Centre. The pine nuts involved in those cases were imported from China. The pine species remain unidentified. Analysis on pesticide residues and heavy metal did not reveal any contamination. One member of the medical team of the Poisons Centre tested on himself several brands of pine nuts and experienced two separate episodes of taste disturbances with the pine nuts imported from China. The phenomenon remained unexplained. A student in pharmacy undertook chromatographic examinations on two samples involved in the taste disturbances and compared them with pine nuts from other origins. This led to the isolation of constituants compatible with triglycerids, formed by 16-18°C unsaturated fatty acids. The role of those triglycerids in the taste disturbances remains hypothetic.
http://journals.lww.com/euro-emergencymed/pages/articleviewer.aspx?year=2001&issue=03000&article=00036&type=fulltext
0 Replies