“I am unalterably opposed to discrimination of any sort”, do you agree or disagree?

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 12:59 am
@electronicmail,
Sorry, but I was not speaking favorably of Ron Paul. When I was ten years old in 1960 in Houston, Texas, a black Korean War combat veteran who was hired by my parents as a gardener was bitten by a cottonmouth on our property. My mother took him to the nearest clinic, where he was denied treatment for the snakebite. She had to drive way across town to find a hospital that would treat him. Even there, he was not given immediate treatment and was mocked by white interns. My mother personally witnessed this. Political conservatives of the day were never bothered by this sort of injustice. I guess they thought it was "Constitutional." In fact, I don't know of a single leading conservative or conservative activist of that time period who supported the civil rights movement. Incidentally, this incident occurred in the Congressional district that was later represented by George Herbert Walker Bush. Racial bigotry in that district was quite prevalent. I remember when Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated during my junior year in high school. I never saw such glee in my life on the part of my classmates. You would have thought the summer break had just begun. So, when I hear Rand Paul say that he would have marched with Martin Luther King Jr., my reaction tends to be a bit incredulous, to put it mildly. No, political conservatives do not have a history they can be proud of concerning the issue of civil rights during the 1950s and the 1960s. Funny, but today I'm actually morally conservative. But what I saw and heard as I was growing up left a bad taste in my mouth.
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 01:06 am
@electronicmail,
Oh, as I recall, segregationist politicians such as George Wallace and Lester Maddox were leading advocates of "states rights."
ebrown p

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:08 am
@wmwcjr,
George Wallace was the one who stood in the footsteps of Jefferson Davis and stated defiantly "Affirmative Action today, Affirmative Action tomorrow, Affirmative Action forever!".

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:13 am
@ebrown p,
Quote:
I support Rand Paul and the Tea Party. Let's get our government back.
ebrown p wrote:

Rand Paul is a nut case. He wants business owners to be able to exclude black people from their businesses,
yet he wants to force businesses to let guns in.

I would rather take our government forward.
If u were more forthright, u 'd not say "forward" u 'd say "to the LEFT"
but how much honesty can we expect from liberals??

David
ebrown p

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:16 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I feel pretty comfortable saying that moving away from segregation is the same as moving forward.

If you want to say that segregation is a conservative position, I am not going to stop you.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:05 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
I feel pretty comfortable saying that moving away from segregation is the same as moving forward.

If you want to say that segregation is a conservative position, I am not going to stop you.
Discrimination and its resultant segregation is the basis of gun control.

David
electronicmail

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:00 am
@wmwcjr,
The opposite is true imho. The 14th Amendment bans discrimination of any sort. Paul and King were in complete agreement in supporting the 14th. Segregation is indistinguishable from affirmative action. You can't have the one without the other and both are unconstitutional. How can you have affirmative action of any kind unless you first separate people on the basis of race? You can't. That's what the 14th Amendment means. That's also what the 1964 Civil Rights Act was about:
Quote:
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and subsequent legislation declared a strong legislative policy against discrimination in public schools and colleges.
electronicmail

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
By the "left" you mean the Orwellian "Animal Farm"? Some of us are more equal than others?

Mr (or Ms) Brown here doesn't understand that he agrees with George Wallace: "affirmative action forever" is identical to "segregation forever". Or maybe he understands and only wants to undermine the 14th, I can't tell.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 08:25 am
@wmwcjr,
State rights have been trampled under for almost a century. Don't forget most of the 1964 Act Rand Paul objects to was based on the the interstate commerce clause. Wrongly imho but blindly followed by the Supreme Court until 1995, when the Court finally tried to stem that unconstitutional tide with "Lopez".
Quote:
To uphold the Government's contention that 922(q) is justified because firearms possession in a local school zone does indeed substantially affect interstate commerce would require this Court to pile inference upon inference in a manner that would bid fair to convert congressional Commerce Clause authority to a general police power of the sort held only by the States.

I guess that' what David meant when he brought guns into this thread. But that's just my guess.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Were you referring to Lopez? Rand Paul can cite numerous other legal precedents in support of his position on the Civil Rights Act. Some are listed in this article:
http://www.westernyouth.org/articles/rand-paul-was-right-on-civil-rights-act/
Quote:
Simply put, the justification Congress had to pass Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights Act was that mandating such regulations on restaurants increased the likelihood that blacks would engage in interstate travel. With this reasoning, there is nothing to prevent Congress from passing other such laws, for example mandating that all restaurants offer a full vegan menu in order to "promote the interstate travel" of vegans. Congress could pass laws demanding that all restaurants offer a full Halal meal in order to promote the interstate travel of Muslims. Congress could pass laws demanding that all restaurants offer a full range of diet drinks and low calorie meals in order to facilitate interstate travel by overweight people.

The prior court case on which Katzenbach v McClung was based has been called into question in recent years. In Wickard v. Filburn, the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government could prevent a farmer from growing wheat on his own land to feed his chickens because it affected the "interstate market" in chicken feed. This was the culmination of a series of cases which ruled that the federal government could basically do anything it wanted, with justification under the Commerce Clause, while ignoring all other parts of the Constitution.

Prior to the 1930s, the Supreme Court had regarded the Commerce Clause to read what its authors intended: that only Congress should have the power to set regulations on trade between the various states, a clause inserted into the Constitution to prevent trade wars from erupting between states. For example, North Carolina cannot place import tariffs on goods manufactured in Virginia. California may not forbid its citizens from traveling to or conducting business with Arizona.
wandeljw

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:34 am
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:
Rand Paul can cite numerous other legal precedents in support of his position on the Civil Rights Act.

Rand Paul's position seems to favor the interests of private businesses over the rights of individuals. He will never get elected by promoting such a position.
Chumly

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:41 am
Quote:
“I am unalterably opposed to discrimination of any sort”, do you agree or disagree?
It's impossible for me to agree or disagree as to whether or not you hold a given viewpoint Twisted Evil
electronicmail

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:55 am
@wandeljw,
Kentucky voters have already proven you wrong by electing him.
wandeljw

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:59 am
@electronicmail,
What exactly did he get elected to?
electronicmail

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:18 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Paul began the race as a long shot against Grayson, the GOP establishment candidate and perceived frontrunner in the race to replace retiring Sen. Jim Bunning, a 78-year-old former major league pitcher who opted not to seek a third term under pressure from Republican leaders who considered him politically vulnerable. Bunning ended up bucking them by endorsing Paul.

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin also supported Paul, while Grayson received endorsements from establishment leaders Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and former Vice President Dick Cheney.
wandeljw

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:21 am
@electronicmail,
I believe that news item refers to the Republican Primary.
electronicmail

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:22 am
@Chumly,
Those quotation marks are a dead giveaway someone else is being quoted, not I. The someone else was named Barry Goldwater. He's long dead.

I'm glad to see interest in my thread. But Google I'm not, try it sometimes.
electronicmail

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:25 am
@wandeljw,
That is correct, he won the Republican primary. Republican voters in Kentucky elected him to run for the Senate in November. What point are you trying to make?
wandeljw

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:27 am
@electronicmail,
My point always has been that Rand Paul will never get elected to an actual government office.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:29 am
@electronicmail,
i believe his point goes like this, history is filled with folks who won primaries but not elected office