Rand Paul just announced!

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 08:21 am
NY Times is reporting that Rand Paul has announced that he is running for president.

Surprise, surprise!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 3,991 • Replies: 26

McGentrix

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 08:23 am
Well then, until such time as I find a better candidate, I am backing Rand Paul!
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 09:38 am
Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky declared himself a candidate for the Republican nomination for president on Tuesday, aiming to upset the political order in Washington and disprove those in his own party who doubt that a fiercely libertarian conservative can be a serious contender.

“I am running for president to return our country to the principles of liberty and limited government,” Mr. Paul wrote in a post on his website on Tuesday.

Mr. Paul’s brand of politics could make him both an outlier and a target among his rivals. In a primary contest of candidates debating which of them is the most doctrinaire conservative, Mr. Paul is likely to be the only one arguing for reducing federal drug penalties, clamping down on the nation’s intelligence agencies and taking a more deliberative approach to military intervention.

On social issues like abortion and same-sex marriage, however, he does not stray from the Republican Party line.

Mr. Paul, 52, becomes the second Republican to enter the 2016 campaign, following his colleague in the Senate, Ted Cruz of Texas.
woiyo

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 10:51 am
GREAT ! A "disruptor" to the established, stale ideas of the proposed crop of candidates such as Cruz and Clinton.

He entry will certainly make for a feisty Republican convention.

He also has my support for now.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 11:53 am
Yet another character who will not have my support or Vote.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 12:11 pm
@Sturgis,
Nor mine, Sturgis.

However, although I never thought I would ever say this...compared with Cruz, Paul sounds almost reasonable.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 01:03 pm
Just after Rand Paul vows to "defeat the Washington machine," the DC area experiences widespread power outage.
Can that really be coincidence? Wink
woiyo

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 01:04 pm
@Sturgis,
Why?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 02:20 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Sounds like the Force is with him, alright.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 02:21 pm
@McGentrix,
I am still rooting for Ted Cruz (out of everyone who has announced so far).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 02:26 pm
I liked him better when he was with Peter and Mary.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 03:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
So thats where DAve went.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 05:16 pm

Andy Borowitz:
Poll: Majority of Voices In His Head Support Rand Paul
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 05:35 pm
This cryptofascist will be goose stepping all over the country but not into white house! Republicans are now trying to use "the party of emancipation" angle to win Black votes. Is this suppose to be appealing to 21st century African Americans? What morons!

10 reasons Rand Paul will never set foot in the White House, except on a tour

Quote:
Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) is officially running for president, but his White House aspirations are just as clumsily implausible as an Ayn Rand plot.

The son of conservative folk hero Ron Paul, the retired Texas congressman and failed Republican presidential candidate, likes to present himself as a civil libertarian.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Rand-Paul-Flickr-800x430.png
glitterbag

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 07:27 pm
@jcboy,
I'm getting so sick of politics. Before Obama was even sworn in, news chatter had already begun to predict who would challenge him in 2012. The 24 hour news cycle spends zero time on verification because they are hell bent on being the first one with the story. Nobody really cares if the story is nonsense or pure invention. I think our country is becoming more stupid every day.

I was at a family event when the democratic primaries were winding down. My DIL's sister asked me if I was rooting (yeah she really asked who I was rooting for) for Clinton or Obama. The Republicans hadn't yet decided who was going to run, McCain seemed the most likely to me, but that was before he dragged Sarah Palin on stage as the potential Vice-president. Back to the family event, I told Catherine I could support Clinton or Obama, whoever prevailed in the primaries. I also told her that I predicted 8 years of pissing and moaning regardless if one or the other was elected. The country sadly reacted the way I feared and has bitterly complained about every aspect of the Obama family and Obama's administration, we can't even get happy that Osama Bin Laden was eliminated.

I find it hard to stomach the notion that any pride in country is null unless our team wins. During my career, we worked our butts off to make sure the military and government agencies got the information they needed to keep both our country and our allies safe. We were not allowed to campaign (thank God) and it really didn't make a difference if they guy we voted for won or lost the Presidency, it was the long term success and endurance of democracy we worked for. It was a far cry from what I see today, when the Israelis spy on American negotiations (I blame us for that, our security failed) then cherry pick tid bits and feed the gossip to anti-Obama members of Congress, in an attempt to influence American policies.

The fact they target us is not a surprise, that members of Congress would colude with foreign governments is an abomination. I'm very concerned about the malicious temperature of our elected representatives. Every presidential hopeful promises to restore libery, but suppress gay rights. The want to restore decency but limit women's health care. And my all time favorite from Bush 43, restore decency to the White House and not engage in Nation building. That REALLY worked out well.
Below viewing threshold (view)
glitterbag

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 08:50 pm
@giujohn,
You are an unabashed asshole. I'm talking about a foreign government (who is a non NATO ally) undermining the US. I assume you are not an American, because every American here originated somewhere else. How do you feel about Kim Philby, he was a traitorous bastard that betrayed the US and UK. Netanyahu made a calculated decision to play US politicians against POTUS. Since you are not a citizen, I understand why your opinion is so narrow. Also since you are not a citizen, I understand why you are not loyal to this country.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 09:09 pm
@glitterbag,
After all I wrote, all you see is that I mentioned that Israel collected sensitive info and then shared it with only a selected few of the US Congress in order to subvert the will of the American people, and then you conclude I'm an anti-Semite. You, my addled friend, are an idiot. You don't have a clue about how nations work, do you think just anybody can waltz into the Pentagon and surf desks to satisfy their curiosity. The fact you can't see that a friend betrayed another friend is on you.

giujohn

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 05:53 pm
@glitterbag,
Seems to me when I criticized obama and sharpton for being incompetent YOU immediately jumped to calling me a racist...simply because they are black. So if thats the criteria then you are a racisit (and an asshole) as well...Im just using your yardstick sweetheart.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 08:25 pm
@giujohn,
Oh sweetums, don't be hatin, I just thought I would point out that Obama and Sharpton go together like Ike Eisenhower and Ike Turner. Two different people, two different agendas......but you couldn't think of anything else, could you. I'm happy you're off house arrest. I wonder how long you will last, nite nite snookums.