On a Scale of 1-10, How angry are you at "Washington"?

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:03 am
Quote:
The response of the Obama administration and the general public to this latest outrage at the hands of a giant, politically connected corporation has been embarrassingly tepid. We take our whippings in stride in this country. We behave as though there is nothing we can do about it.

The fact that 11 human beings were killed in the Deepwater Horizon explosion (their bodies never found) has become, at best, an afterthought. BP counts its profits in the billions, and, therefore, it’s important. The 11 men working on the rig were no more important in the current American scheme of things than the oystermen losing their livelihoods along the gulf, or the wildlife doomed to die in an environment fouled by BP’s oil, or the waters that will be left unfit for ordinary families to swim and boat in.

This is the bitter reality of the American present, a period in which big business has cemented an unholy alliance with big government against the interests of ordinary Americans, who, of course, are the great majority of Americans. The great majority of Americans no longer matter.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/22/opinion/22herbert.html?hp

This oil flow.....why it happened, the impotent response, the lack of correct information to the public.....is just the latest log on the bonfire as far as I am concerned...

But what is your number? I am at 9, only because I believe in the idea "it could always be worse.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,029 • Replies: 30
No top replies

eoe

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:43 am
@hawkeye10,
About 1000. Actually, there is no numerical measure of how angry we should be now that the covers are being ripped off of everything and the chickens are coming home to roost. We see now what past administrations have done and what the present and future administrations, and our nation as a whole, are up against. We have to right the wrongs, and find ways to regulate the industries that have been allowed to unconscionably profit and flourish on the backs of the taxpayers and citizens of our country. To say that it's a disgrace doesn't even come close.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:46 am
@eoe,
thank you for participating..
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:49 am
i'm not angry at washington at all (or in my case ottawa), they both seem like nice places to visit (have been to ottawa briefly), now politicians on the other hand, not so much anger, just disdain, they can't help it, they're politicians, once you become a politician you become a soulless scumbag (well once you become a successful politician anyway, the rest are just poor misguided fools who think they can help a populace who start threads like this)
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:53 am
@djjd62,
I submit that you suffer from low expectations, and those who expect little will rarely be disappointed..
djjd62

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
i have very high expectations, and always vote for the least successful (and less scumbaggy) of the lot, not that it does much good, but it soothes my soul

most folks want to vote for the guy with the biggest lie or the best haircut

and this backlash won't be much different i suspect, the theme seems to be, vote for me, i'm not like the other guys, but then they haven't got to the big show yet, once there i believe that a majority succumb to the machiavellian principle, they try their best to make business connections that will set them up for life after politics or get lucky enough to be come a lifer

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:05 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
i have very high expectations,

Quote:
most folks want to vote for the guy with the biggest lie or the best haircut

do you see any incongruity here, cause I do...
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Technically, I am not angry at either the state of Washington or Washington DC. I am upset that the Seattle Mariners will not let go of Ichiro Suzuki. I think he'd make a great outfielder for the Red Sox.

But in the spirit of the thread, I am very disappointed in Obama, infuriated with the Democrat Party of the House and Senate, and I truly DISDAIN those bloody conservative Republicans who are presently festering in the blight that is the current Tea Party epidemic as well as their past fanatical association with the very vocal and bigoted fundamentalist sect of the American population: the intolerant and hate filled religious right.

I have yet to formulate a number for the simple Gulf of Mexico debacle.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
nope i don't believe i said i was most folks, therefore i don't vote for the biggest lie or the best haircut (in fact i've voted for candidates who looked rather like unmade beds, nice folks, but lousy "politicians". oh well)
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:23 pm
Probably about a 3 on a personal level. We lost around 20% of the value of our Transocean stock (it was their platform that blew up), but that's the chance one takes with owning stock.

Probably about a 9 on a general level (it could be worse)...saw the oil covered beach at Grand Isle on the news, plus the tearful resort owner who is going to lose much of her livelihood due to the spill. Their anguish is palpable.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:27 pm
@Irishk,
JSYK, I was using the oil flow as one example of why I am mad, the question was about your over all anger level.

Also,and I hope that you can understand, but I hope and expect you to loose 100% of your investment in Transocean..
Irishk

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
I understand Smile

I was hesitant to respond if I was going to get all judged for answering LOL.

ETA: Anger is something of a wasted emotion. I do the best I can with my vote (never a straight party-line ticket) and hope for the best.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:36 pm
well, going back to Truman I'd say I'm about even over the washington politics to this date, I've had some down blips over the years but nothing lasting.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 01:37 pm
This is a useless scale unless you have something to compare it with.

People should answer these questions in context.

1) How angry are you now?
2) How angry were you during the Bush Jr. administration (maybe you could include a number for each term)?
3) How angry were you during the Clinton administration?
4) How angry were you during the Bush Sr. administration?
5) How angry were you during the Reagan administration?

If you are always angry... your anger now probably doesn't mean very much.

Although I am sorely disappointed with Obama on several issues, compared to the other administrations in my politically conscious life, Obama is doing pretty well.

When I imagine what a McCain/Palin administration would be like--- the current government makes me very happy indeed.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 01:42 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
If you are always angry... your anger now probably doesn't mean very much.

I have been angry for a long time, but I have also been saying for 25 years that Washington is corrupt and broken. The difference is that a lot of people now agree with me, which I think is because it has taken this long for the problem to become so obvious that the masses can no longer ignore it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 01:55 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

When I imagine what a McCain/Palin administration would be like--- the current government makes me very happy indeed.

I'm with you on that. On a scale of 1-10? 1000.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 02:21 pm
@ebrown p,
1) How angry are you now? 3
2) How angry were you during the Bush Jr. administration (maybe you could include a number for each term)? 6
3) How angry were you during the Clinton administration? 1
4) How angry were you during the Bush Sr. administration? 1
5) How angry were you during the Reagan administration? 1
ebrown p

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 02:32 pm
@engineer,
I was more angry with Clinton then I am with Obama (of course Bush Jr. tops them both by far).

Clinton's idiotic "centrist" policies on welfare, immigration, and "don't ask don't tell" hurt the country. This type of centrism takes us in the wrong direction; away from reasonable solutions. (And don't get me started about his squandering any ability to do anything good with his dishonesty).
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 02:48 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:

I was more angry with Clinton then I am with Obama (of course Bush Jr. tops them both by far).

I would like to point out that Washington contains two other branches of government. The current anger is directed towards Congress and SCUTUS as well as the Obama Administration.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 03:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
Getting angry with the SCOTUS is as stupid as getting angry with the weather.

I was sure a lot angrier with Newt Gingrich then I am with Pelosi.

0 Replies