My new pet rat has bitten me twice already!

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 04:09 am
Right, I have bought a new pet rat and he is about a male about 10 weeks old. He seems very scared and skittish, I have managed to feed him by hand for about a day now and he takes is from me very gently and comes back for more. First time he bit me i attempted to stroke him with while he was eating and he turned and was hanging off my hand! Bad idea lol? The second time i placed abit of food in the palm of my hand and placed my hand near him, but before I could lower my hand he had bittin me and once again drew blood. Is this typical behaviour or have I a unique rat lol?
Any help would be greatly appreiciated! Thanks!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,873 • Replies: 17
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 04:26 am

Did u bite him back ?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 04:27 am

WELCOME to the forum.

David
0 Replies

Woodbmagic

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 04:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
No im too scared to go near him now lol!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 07:47 am
@Woodbmagic,
Woodbmagic wrote:

The rat is obviously defective. I would return it to the store and get a new model.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 08:59 am
You're big, he's small. You're powerful, he's not. You know your intentions, he doesn't. Think what you'd feel like if a tyrannosaurus loomed up over you unexpectedly. You probably scare him shitless. If something huge grabbed you when you weren't expecting it, you'd be defensive too.

You've got to win his trust, and sudden moves aren't the best way to do it. Google "How do you tame a pet rat?" and you'll get a bunch of suggestions on how to go about the process.
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:40 am
@MontereyJack,
He needs to be made an example of so the ret of the ratty world sdoesnt get the impression that youre NOT KING of the RATS
0 Replies

Woodbmagic

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:40 am
@MontereyJack,
Ive read all the info I need, I havnt tried to pick him up im mearly placing my hand in the cage and as soon as he sees it he bites with intention to hurt! it was by the side of him once and he came over and bit me!
0 Replies

Woodbmagic

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:46 am
@rosborne979,
How certain are you, I mean ive had rats before and not had this problem!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:43 am
rosborne was being sardonic. Your rat has probably had less or no experience with humans than other rats you had. Your hand is new and frightening to it, even if you just put it in the cage, and it reacts to defend itself (or whoever bred it might have teased it--it might have come from the rat equivalent of a puppy mill). Think what humans do even if Godzilla is just sitting there and not doing anything. Bazookas and tanks come into play. Similar case.Take it slow and win its trust.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 12:49 pm
@Woodbmagic,
You've only had the rat for a few days and you're already sticking your hand on his body, expecting him to leap for joy at the intrusion.

As you said, he's scared and skittish. Give him a chance to get used to his new surroundings. Be satisfied with small steps in building his trust, rather than making such large leaps and expecting him to be cool with it. Let him get used to your scent. Try just sitting near his cage for a few days without physically forcing your presence on him. Put a dirty sock (not one that will suffocate him with stink!) near his cage and then in his cage so he gets used to your scent.

If he's still nipping at you after a couple months, he may just need to be left to himself, rather than trying to make him a touchy feely pet.

You might enjoy this bit of insight about tamed rodents:

http://www.ratbehavior.org/perception.htm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 01:39 pm
@MontereyJack,
Ros could also be right. Even with close inbreeding, all rats are not the same. Maybe a new rat is in order, and possibly she could handle the new one a little, before taking possesion. Having a pet that returns affection with violence can't be very satisfying.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 02:02 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Woodbmagic wrote:

The rat is obviously defective. I would return it to the store and get a new model.

I think the rats that don't bite are the defective ones.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 02:07 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
I think the rats that don't bite are the defective ones.

You might be right.
0 Replies

Woodbmagic

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 04:24 pm
Ok well he now cuddles up to me and lets me stroke him and seems comfortable with it, but he still bites without flinching or any sudden movements, its like he just likes to bite????
roger

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 04:30 pm
@Woodbmagic,
They generally prefer to bite something more solid than a human finger. Probably not related, but if he doesn't have a chew stick or something, you need to get him one. Otherwise, his teeth will keep growing till he can't eat.

Congradulations on the progress, by the way.
0 Replies

RodentsNCats

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 06:46 pm
@Woodbmagic,
He probably smells the food on your hand.
Just a few notes:
• keep your voice low around your rat(they don't like high pitched or loud noises
•don't make any quick or jumpy movements
•pet your rat gently
•if he does bite don't jerk or get mad at him otherwise he will bite to simply make you leave him alone
But don't worry it's totally normal for a new rat to be skittish and jumpy at first so just keep up the good work and he will warm up to you with time:)

I have two male rats with two very different personalities. Justin(who is named after the rat on the secret of Nimh)is a very high energy,skittish, and very loving agouti(brown) and white hooded fancy rat who wouldn't bite a fly, and on the otherhand there's Toby a lazy Burgendy and white hooded fancy rat who has bitten me twice yet with a little love and lots of Cheerios later he finally warmed up to me:)

Good luck with your rat:)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 06:59 pm
@Woodbmagic,
I had a girlfriend like that! Not any more. I returned her to the pet store and got 2 gerbils and some change back.

I think she was pining for the fjords!
0 Replies