Moral imperative

hobitbob

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:19 am
Oh look, the dyspeptic senior citizen is back. Very Happy
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:20 am
In fact, his new name is Dyspeptic, which is wonderfully suitable, Hobit!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 12:01 pm
Please children could we postpone the fun a while. I suspect the forum police are on the way and I don't want this thread locked-----it's giving me too much pleasure.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 09:38 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Inconsistence doesn't indict an ideal, it indicts the implementation of it.

Inconsistence is not the issue here----morality is the issue

Craven d Kere wrote:
I don't equate America's revolution with Saddam's rise to power, but your criteria does by oversimplifying.

How can you one over simplify morality? When you observe murder committed what is the requirement for caveats or other criteria?

Craven de Kere wrote:
One criteria for unprovoked invasion that I would like to see respected is that a quorum is used to filter dishonorable campaigns.

Your term "unprovoked invasion" is an unproven allegagion to obscure the issue. Your use of "dishonorable campaingns" is an attempt to draw a favorable conclusion to your argument before the fact and I don't accept either
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 10:06 am
Pray do tell me where does this 'moral imperative' of America come from? For you will not find it in political philosophy or history of liberalism and democracy. And why does America feel it posseses it, and not other liberal democracies, certainly not to the same degree? Why such strong feelings towards Iraqi people, when others (Congolese, Nigerian etc. to mention just the most rampant examples) were happily trampled upon while America supported their dictators and instituted a change for the worse? And, coming from Central Europe, I have to ask where was America when we turned to it crying for help? 1939, 1956, 1968, even late 1980s - it chose its 'splendid isolotion'. True, we do not have oil, or diamonds. But this 'moral imperative' is not about it, right? It is about principles... Funny how selective they get...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 10:36 am
perception wrote:

Inconsistence is not the issue here----morality is the issue

You tried to indict based on inconsitence, not I. I assume we agree on the fact that inconsistence is not the issue.

Quote:
How can you one over simplify morality?

By seeing morality in terms of black and white and by finding extraordinary circumstances to support the view.

Such as:

Quote:
When you observe murder committed what is the requirement for caveats or other criteria?

Dunno perception, your example stoppped short of drawing a conclusion so there are, of course, no caveats to a non-existent conclusion.

Quote:

Your term "unprovoked invasion" is an unproven allegagion to obscure the issue. Your use of "dishonorable campaingns" is an attempt to draw a favorable conclusion to your argument before the fact and I don't accept either

My argument is independent of my opinion on Iraq perception. It's a more general indictment of unprovoked invasions based on individually determined morality.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 12:04 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Percy wrote:
Regarding Karzai----I like my source better

Blah......I would suggest you do some basic research into the members of the council that "elected" karzai,and the pressure on them from the US to approve him.....

Beat me to it.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 12:11 pm
perception wrote:
farmerman wrote:
perc, the more you explain your position , the more uncomfortable and scared I get. PS, Im glad that, for the present, my vote will cancel your vote.

As youve seen from more eloquent writers than i, 'moral imperative" is eyewash, especially since we , as a sovereign nation have picked and chosen how we define this term and who we target.
I, like many Americans was suckered into the belief of the correctness of our invasion on Iraq. similarly, I, like many AMericans , arent intellec tually cemented to this bad belief. To do so, based upon all the recent disclosures and evidence to the contrary is even a more midieval mindset than flat earthism.

Iron lion-I liked your quote of 'the quote" that perc had selected. Seemed a bit ironic to me too, maybe were not "creative thinkers'

Farmerman:

I started this thread to debate the possible merits of an altruistic propostion-----that of a moral obligation to assist the citizens of any particular country who are suffering genocide and other cruelties at the hands of a dictator. Immediately it became apparent that since Iraq was linked and since emotions here run so high about Iraq, I felt compelled to give my opinion of some other practical considerations for invading Iraq and liberating them from Saddam. It also is apparent that you are an honest and caring person therefore I did not want be dishonest and continue with the altruistic line as the only reason for invading Iraq. Thus the reason for the lines about the need for a status of forces agreement for bases in Iraq and the influence we must have on their constitution. When we actually exit Iraq, our forces will be needed to support any nations in the area that want and need our help. We also want Iraq to be a willing ally in the fight against terrorism and they cannot be an ally if they implement an Islamic gov't similar to that in Iran----that we cannot allow. That is why Chalabi has so much support from elements of our gov't. He is a secular Shi'ite. I really don't care if the our form of democracy is accepted or not as long as it is a constitutional elected form of gov't it will be acceptable.
I also believe it would not be good for an exile like Chalabi to be pushed as the right man but I believe he should be considered by the people at election time---however since the Shi'ites are the majority in Iraq his election is not impossible. It will depend on his ability to convince the religious leaders to support him----I don't give him much chance in that regard.

It is not neccessarily the concept of an altruistic position that I ,and many others, take issue with. It is your idea that a) it should be the sole discretion of the American government to decide which nations deserve regime change and which do not regardless of any international institution b) your idea that the war in Iraq can be justified using this criteria coupled with your refusal to acknowledge the hyprocrisy inherant in such a stand.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 12:45 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Pray do tell me where does this 'moral imperative' of America come from? For you will not find it in political philosophy or history of liberalism and democracy. And why does America feel it posseses it, and not other liberal democracies, certainly not to the same degree? Why such strong feelings towards Iraqi people, when others (Congolese, Nigerian etc. to mention just the most rampant examples) were happily trampled upon while America supported their dictators and instituted a change for the worse? And, coming from Central Europe, I have to ask where was America when we turned to it crying for help? 1939, 1956, 1968, even late 1980s - it chose its 'splendid isolotion'. True, we do not have oil, or diamonds. But this 'moral imperative' is not about it, right? It is about principles... Funny how selective they get...

Dagmar

This is a philosophical exercise which could beome reality due to a change in America's global role as the undisputed leader of the Free world. To go along with said role it is my hypothesis that there exists a moral obligation to assist other countries of the world who suddenly become the victims of some thug who suddenly seizes power----usually through a military coup.
This obligation existed prior to the establishment of our total military dominance but due to a serious lack of capability until recently it could not be a serious proposition.

Why does America feel it possesses it? As the leader of the Free world we would IMO be negligent if we ignored this obligation. When Hitler attacked the rest of Europe and started the genocide of the Jews we were not the leader of the free world and yes we were isolationist and we continued to be isolationist until just recently. We as the default leader of the free world have recogized that a global strategy is required and now that we have the military capability we can explore ways of expressing our committment to freedom and civil rights around the globe. However one must be realistic----we cannot direct China to correct their human rights abuses, we cannot direct North Korea to do anything because of the threat to the South Koreans who live near the DMZ(10 million in Seoul alone), there are many other situations where we are still limited to diplomatic efforts but there are many other situations where we could intervene without dire consequences and I'm not speaking of a military invasion like in Iraq.

The selectivity which you castigate is and was based on practical considerations not on our desire to ignore our responsibilities.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 12:56 pm
perception wrote:

Dagmar

This is a philosophical exercise which could beome reality due to a change in America's global role as the undisputed leader of the Free world. To go along with said role it is my hypothesis that there exists a moral obligation to assist other countries of the world who suddenly become the victims of some thug who suddenly seizes power----usually through a military coup.
This obligation existed prior to the establishment of our total military dominance but due to a serious lack of capability until recently it could not be a serious proposition.

Why does America feel it possesses it? As the leader of the Free world we would IMO be negligent if we ignored this obligation. When Hitler attacked the rest of Europe and started the genocide of the Jews we were not the leader of the free world and yes we were isolationist and we continued to be isolationist until just recently. We as the default leader of the free world have recogized that a global strategy is required and now that we have the military capability we can explore ways of expressing our committment to freedom and civil rights around the globe. However one must be realistic----we cannot direct China to correct their human rights abuses, we cannot direct North Korea to do anything because of the threat to the South Koreans who live near the DMZ(10 million in Seoul alone), there are many other situations where we are still limited to diplomatic efforts but there are many other situations where we could intervene without dire consequences and I'm not speaking of a military invasion like in Iraq.

The selectivity which you castigate is and was based on practical considerations not on our desire to ignore our responsibilities.

And after all of this babbling, the idea of giving one nation the ability to pick and choose which nations to 'save' and how to 'save' them is still retarded. Just as it has always been retarded. Percy, take comfort in the fact that you are not alone in your bias and blind patriotism. Most people, in most ages, in most places tend to see themselves as the central drama in human history, embodying the universal and virtuous values (in this case human rights, capitalism, and democracy), the sole beacon of light in a world of darkness, blah, blah, blah....
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 01:00 pm
Man, I have no respect for people and countries who rush about looking for others' behaviors to correct (selectively) and ignore their own behaviors. So I think Dag has taken the high ground in this discussion. Physician, heal thyself.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 01:25 pm
Perception wrote: "We as the default leader of the free world have recogized that a global strategy is required and now that we have the military capability we can explore ways of expressing our committment to freedom and civil rights around the globe"
Do you even realize how many ironical contradictions are in this one sentence?
Single military superior leader....global strategy (that is exactly what was avoided, btw) ....commitment to freedom and civil rights (via military, and abroad...?)
Makes little sense to me.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 01:41 pm
Oh, but America did choose to intervene into the affairs of some countries during the isolation... Congo, for once, happened in 1960. How is that in line with either isolationism OR high moral principles?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 01:51 pm
I believe that the methodolgy Perception is using with "moral imperative" is a conclusion in search of a reasoning rather than a reasoning in search of a conclusion. I do it myself sometimes.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 05:50 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
And, coming from Central Europe, I have to ask where was America when we turned to it crying for help? 1939, 1956, 1968, even late 1980s - it chose its 'splendid isolotion'. True, we do not have oil, or diamonds. But this 'moral imperative' is not about it, right? It is about principles... Funny how selective they get...

You were whining here about our isolationism but then you attack me when I suggest that we change our policy----you can't have it both ways.

<sigh> I wonder if Einstein had to take this much abuse? :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 06:30 pm
einstein only had to take serious abuse from J edgar Hoover
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 06:43 pm
1956 and 1968 are years of shame for many Americans, Dag. When I lived in Europe, they were two of our (non)actions which I got the most questions about. My Madrid friends -- which included a Pole and a Czech -- understood that there were (and continue to be) two Americas.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 11:08 pm
So,
moral services come with a fee, perception?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 11:26 pm
perception, go back and re-read my posts. u.s. was selective and remains selective in its interventions. whether it labeled its foreign policy isolationist or not anymore. not much changed. what you suggested thus holds no water.

tartarin, i know many moral americans, and am grateful to some of them, who have helped to get my father out of prison in 1989. as individuals, members of AI, Helsinki Federation, and similar groups. They are not responsible for their government.

Ever wandered into a library and searched government records and documents pertaining to the U.S. foreing policy? not even classified documents, just plain public records. i highly recommend it, Boston University has one full floor of them. I could not believe my eyes.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 11:43 pm
Dagmar

Your dismissive attitude will win no friends---take your bitterness elsewhere.
0 Replies