Say it Isn't So..........Law & Order Cancelled :-(

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 06:17 pm

Quote:
NBC canceled "Law & Order" Friday after two decades on the air. When the procedural drama signs off May 24, it will be tied with "Gunsmoke" as prime-time's longest-running drama series.

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2010/05/law-order-cancellation-.html

Well, it finally happened. Law and Order was cancelled. It is a shame because Dick Wolf had wanted to beat Gunsmoke's record of 20 years running.

SVU and Criminal Intent have been renewed, and there will be a new L&O, based in Los Angeles.

Actually I liked some of the earlier actors better than the current cast. For those of you who are L&O afficionados, which actors were your favorites?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,690 • Replies: 25

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 06:44 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I thought of you when I read the news!

I haven't watched that much, but Jerry Orbach/ Lennie Briscoe has to be up there.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 07:43 pm
@sozobe,
Jerry Orbach, Michael Moriarity, WAterson, Dennis Farina, Ice T, and Belzer were all my favs.
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 07:45 pm
@sozobe,
My favorites were:

Jerry Ohrbach
Jesse Martin
Epetha Merkerson
Sam Waterston (as the ass't D.A.)
Jill Hennesy
Steven Hill

I couldn't stand Sam Waterston, when he first replaced Michael Moriarity. Michael was so cool, that when he was angry, and said, "son of a bitch" under his breath, it really came across dramatically. I thought that Waterston was a bit of a hysteric by comparison.

After awhile, Waterston really grew into the role of ass't D.A. He was not bad as the D.A., but recently the other characters never seemed to "jell" as they had in the past.

Steven Hill was perfect as "Schiff". I remember when he took over a part in "Mission Impossible" many many years ago, and I really did not like him in that part. In his role as Schiff, which was made for him, just a flick of his eyebrow said volumes.

Jerry Ohrbach and Jesse Martin were perfect foils for one another.

I still watch the old shows on FIOS, and hope that they keep running them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 07:52 pm
@farmerman,
Belzer and Ice-T are from SVU. I like both of them. One of the criticisms of Farina (with which I agreed), is that he seemed more like a "wiseguy" than a cop.
I don't know how he dressed that way he did on a detective's salary. His whole persona did not ring true to me.
Roberta

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 08:12 pm
Jerry Orbach (a Noo Yawker) and Michael Moriarty (lots of nuance).

Farina was too Chicago. Wrong sound entirely.

I'm not fond of the current cast. I watch reruns.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:47 am
It's sad, and a mistake, but we have lots of re-runs.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 04:13 am
@Phoenix32890,
To each his own. He always brought his own style to the show. AFter his role in "Get SHorty" he can do no wrong in my eyes.

Oh, I forgot Chris Noth, he had a kind of presence that played well with Orbach. That was like one of the best portions of the shows cats.

Michael Moriarity was always fighting with Dick Wolf and he was kind of a diva (Ive been told).

In the Time they estimated the value of the show at about 29 million dollars a year to the local economy just for the bit actors, catering, crafts etc. All these associated industries that fed off the show during filming.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 07:17 am
@farmerman,
Chris Noth? Me too. I don't know how I could have forgotten. I had such a crush on him, "back in the day".

Problem was, age was not too kind to him. When he returned later for a few years on "Criminal Intent", he had lost his boyish charm. And he really needed a better hair colorist.

On the other hand, speaking of "Criminal Intent", Jeff Goldblum has aged superlatively. He is a far better actor than when he was younger, and is perfect in his part. I think that he will "save" that show for many years.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 07:40 am
@Phoenix32890,
Though I am more of a Criminal Intent fan and haven't watched the original series in years, I too lament the loss of a great, great television show that never showed its age after so many years. So many crimes ... so many years ... yet gracefully no jumping the proverbial shark. Great acting and great stories!

Law and Order? You shall be dearly missed. Now I hope that Hulu.com or Netflix.com puts up as many seasons on streaming to celebrate the series.

Sam Waterston was my favorite actor of this series.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 07:50 am
@tsarstepan,
Has anyone the pleasure of seeing Law and Order: UK?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 08:33 am
Lady Diane has been a major fan of L & O for as long as I've know her. I never go into it. In the past few weeks I've watched several of the older reruns and I liked them but in the past few days I've watched what seem to be newer episodes with different actors. Blah.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 08:38 am
I watched the first season, then moved on. Not that it was bad, just drifted away.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 09:35 am
"Law and Order? Cancelled?"

<takes another look at dead body found in park, turns to other cop>

"If only my first marriage had ended that easily."

Cue theme music.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 10:16 am
@Gargamel,
Oooohhh... ummm.... Confused

Wink
firefly

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 10:47 am
@tsarstepan,
As much as I have loved this show, and can endlessly watch the reruns, I find the current cast to be be very lackluster, perhaps because the characters they play seem to lack definite personalities.

Over the years I have particularly enjoyed:

Steven Hill
Jerry Ohrbach
Michael Moriarty
Jesse Martin
S. Epatha Merkerson
Sam Waterston
Jill Hennesy
Chris Noth

And these two grew on me as time went on...

Angie Harmon
Dennis Farina

And, in his short stint, I really liked

Michael Imperioli

One of the biggest disappointments, for me, was Diane Wiest as the interim D.A., mainly because they gave this very fine actress so little to do with her role. Seeing her in In Treatment, where she really shone, reminded me how they wasted her in L&O. But Steven Hill, like Jerry Orbach, was a tough act to follow.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 01:17 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I have always liked Jeff Goldblum, no matter what age he was/is. He has that
that certain "je ne sais quoi" , that certain something.

Law & Order has and has had good actors. Jill Hennessy I liked, Chris North,
Paul Sorvino, Sam Waterston, Jerry Orbach.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 01:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
I have always liked Jeff Goldblum, no matter what age he was/is. He has that
that certain "je ne sais quoi" , that certain something.
yeah
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 03:28 pm
@Gargamel,
Sounds just like something that Lennie Briscoe would say!!! Laughing
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 03:34 pm
you could see this coming a mile away. The economics no longer work now that advertising is down and the audience is so fractured. The show cost $80 million a year to make, and though wolf was offered the chance to do the show on a drastically reduced budget he declined.

In case no one notice the movie production houses are slashing budgets as well.