HEARING AIDS

Sglass

Wed 12 May, 2010 02:49 am
What causes hearing aids to screech and what is the remedy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 3,172 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Wed 12 May, 2010 03:05 am
@Sglass,
I don't know why they do that. It does happen when something gets very close to them. Put your hand over it, and it will squeel like a stuck pig. Sometimes, you hair falling across your ear will do it. Telephone receivers too, but it's not the electronics in the phone. Just the nearness of the mass.

I use the GN Metric, with three programs. One is over amplification, and for me it is almost unusable.
tsarstepan

Wed 12 May, 2010 04:13 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

It does happen when something gets very close to them. Put your hand over it, and it will squeel like a stuck pig

That's like putting a microphone next to a speaker (in this case, the microphone is built next to the speaker), it's a form of feedback which is some kind of looping sound that escalates between the microphone [input] that picks up sound and sends it to the speaker [output] that sends back to the microphone that sends it back to the speaker, etc....

0 Replies

Eva

Wed 12 May, 2010 08:36 am
Yep, that's feedback. Newer models are better at limiting it.

If it happens a lot, your audiologist should be able to fix that by fine-tuning the programming. Make an appointment.
0 Replies

Sglass

Mon 17 May, 2010 11:29 am
I had to laugh. A friend that had been bugging me about getting ears fixed went off on a tangent about how wonderful it would be for me to be able to hear the "Birds".

The morning after I get my ears I got up early (dawnish) put on my ears and went out on the back porch to listen to the birds. You wouldda thought a tyrannius rex with feathers had landed on my porch with a boom box singing the Lullaby of Broadway with Hitchcock waving them on.

Unfortunately ambient background noises are amplified and it comes to a matter of "damn if you do and damn if you don't".
0 Replies

PepsieJ

Sat 22 Mar, 2014 11:12 am
@Sglass,
There are usually4 possible reasons for feedback (whistling). 1. The aid is loose in the ear and sound is leaking out creating a feedback loop. It is similar to getting to close to a microphone. 2. The sound is going into the ear canal towards the eardrum and it hits debris (wax) and bounces back and creates a feedback loop. 3. It could also be internal feedback. That is when the sound being jutted down and it is going all over the place. Usually this would be continuous whistling no matter what you did. That reason the aid would need professional repair. 4. In bte if the tubing is crimped or leaking it can sometimes feedback.
Jessica0017

Mon 29 Sep, 2014 04:40 am
@Sglass,
Reasons to screeching of hearing aids:

Hearing aids are not properly adjusted due to which too much power pump into higher frequencies.

Having too much wax in ear canal

Earmold is too small.

Aid is not properly inserted into earmold.

If it is Behind the Ear hearing aid, might have cracked tube or earmold that lets the sound to leak out.
0 Replies

JasonMathew

Wed 16 Nov, 2016 11:42 pm
@PepsieJ,
Thanks a lots for your suggestion.
0 Replies