market research for a prospective Indian dairy product

rads

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 03:56 am
why do you go in for UHT packed milk (Indian products like amul, aavin etc) when the regular packed milk is much cheaper ? this question is directed to consumers and prospective consumers of such products. would prefer detailed answers with your preferred brand. Require answers asap!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,097 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:20 am
What is amul and aavin?

There is interest in health food products and milk substitutes in the US.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:29 am
@sullyfish6,
you are assuming that we know of what you speak. I had to look up these things and really , I still dont know much more.

Why would I use this stuff?

We have a large Indian population in the US, would they be drawn to this?
Can it be made in US or must it be imported?
We have stricter health rules for products would this comply? (Is it raw or pasteurized?)

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:42 am
@farmerman,
UHT =
Quote:
Ultra-high temperature processing or (less often) ultra-heat treatment (both abbreviated UHT) is the partial sterilization of food by heating it for a short time, around 1"2 seconds, at a temperature exceeding 135°C (275°F), which is the temperature required to kill spores in milk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-temperature_processing#cite_note-guelph-0
He must be meaning the irradiated milk one finds in the outside of the refrigerated food department:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Brique_lait_dsc04430.jpg/220px-Brique_lait_dsc04430.jpg

Though I think the OP is aiming this alleged market research at the actual residents of the subcontinent/market of India. Really not many Indians here that I have met at a2k. Or at least not enough to fulfill your marketing research needs.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:56 am
@tsarstepan,
YA know tsar. I used to get Lait much more years ago than I do now. I only get Lait a few times a month.

I should get Lait more often.
dadpad

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:00 am
@rads,
rads wrote:

why do you go in for UHT packed milk (Indian products like amul, aavin etc) when the regular packed milk is much cheaper ? this question is directed to consumers and prospective consumers of such products. would prefer detailed answers with your preferred brand. Require answers asap!

Focus on what is different about your product. Why is your product better than competitors?

Don't forget to include quality assurance. After the debacle with milk products from china having poisonouse additives included consumers could be wary of an imported product.

Look for natural sales areas. Places that have a strong Indian population that may be already familiar with your product would be a natural sales area.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:04 am
@farmerman,
of course as a man it's pretty scary when your partner (female anyway) ends up Lait after getting Lait

moral of the story, always check the packaging when getting Lait
0 Replies