means of production

tintin

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 04:56 am
Please look at this English text...

The owners of the means of production could not be depended upon to charge as much as necessary for their products to enable the owners to pay a fair working wage to laborers.

I find this hard to read and get the meaning . Its written in a awkward way ...and hence I am not feeling comfortable. How one should read this ?

Also , look they used depended upon .....this does not look appropriate.

comments please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 988 • Replies: 2
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 05:11 am
@tintin,
It is appropriate given the economic context of that particular statement.

In order to keep the price of the production as low as possible, management deflates the price of product so they can sell as much product to a wider audience/market as possible.

could not be depended upon is a phrase that challenges ones competency or motives for a persons ability to perform certain duties.

Example: The babysitter talked with her boyfriend on the phone all night. She could not be depended upon to keep a vigilant eye on the child and keep the child safe from harm.

Example: We can't trust Joe to work the cashier position. He's undergoing treatment for gambling addiction. Joe could not be depended upon with the task of counting money and handing back change to the store's customers. He was renown for pocketing cash from the register and short changing the customers.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 05:16 am
that looks better now.
0 Replies