Is the word in use today?

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 04:34 am

If we want to describe a woman who is no longer young and seems unlikely ever to marry, can we use the word spinster? Is it still in use today?

And, according to dictionaries, "old maid" conveys the same meaning. But is the phrase "old maid" in use today?

If there is a word that expresses the meaning, please recommend one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,075 • Replies: 32
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 05:23 am
@oristarA,
This is very interesting- I didn't know the basis for the word 'spinster':
Quote:
A spinster or old maid is a woman who is so selective about finding a mate that she never finds one, and becomes too old to bear children. The term "spinster" was originally intended to indicate a woman who spun wool, thereby living independently of a male wage. These women were invariably single and did not have children. During the Elizabethan era, spinster (or old maid) came to indicate a woman or girl of marriageable age who was unwilling or unable to marry and had no children.

I don't use the terms 'spinster' or 'old maid' to describe women have never married. I usually say something like- 'mature, single woman' or 'never married'.

But I don't usually apply labels to people to describe them with one word based on their marital status in any case. I don't call someone a 'wife' or a 'divorcee'- I say, 'she's married' or 'she's separated or divorced' just like I'd say, 'she's never been married' or 'she's single' instead of using the label of spinster or old maid.

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-3984507
oristarA

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 05:29 am
@aidan,
Thank you Aidan.

The word spinster is a sour,degrading term according to Merriam Webster's explanation.

It might be offensive. But I didn't mean to offend.

Would anyone else tell whether it is in use today.
chai2

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 06:56 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

The term "spinster" was originally intended to indicate a woman who spun wool, thereby living independently of a male wage. These women were invariably single and did not have children.

I find that extremely interesting.

I think, based on this definition, single women of a certain age should reclaim the title spinster.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:05 am
It is sad that it seems no one to answer my question.
saab

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:08 am
@oristarA,
The term "spinster" almost fell completely out of common use after the sexual revolution of the 1960s, being replaced by the coinage "bachelorette" or "single girl." However, both of these terms were scorned by feminists as being denigrating in their own way, the first as a diminutive of a male status, and the second for minimizing their dignity as adult women, not "girls."
dadpad

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:11 am
The word spinster is still in use but not commonly because it could be considered degrading.
I would prefer the phrase older unmarried woman
oristarA

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:56 pm
@saab,
Thanks.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:56 pm
@dadpad,
Thank you.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:25 am
@oristarA,
Both are in use, but spinster is less common than old maid. They both hold pejorative meanings so they are limited to those situations where the speaker wishes to be pejorative.
oristarA

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 09:14 am
@JTT,
Thank you JTT.

You've always given me cool explanations.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 09:37 am
@oristarA,
I have never heard anyone use spinster or old maid in conversation.

I have read them in old books.

Marital status is rarely mentioned in my circles, except by default. That is, someone might say "she's single", "she's not single these days", or "she has a new partner". I think references to marital status are more common among younger people.
oristarA

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 09:41 am
@ehBeth,
Thank you EhBeth.

That is informative.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 10:11 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

If there is a word that expresses the meaning, please recommend one.

Sexistpig is a word that sums it up in the year 2010.
oristarA

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 05:18 pm
@Miller,
That is an update.
Thank you Miller.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:38 pm
Spinster was, originally, "gender neutral." Silas Marner, from the novel of the same name George Eliot (which was the pen name of Mary Ann Evans) was a spinster, and among the evangelical religious community of which he was a part, it was an honorable term precisely because it denoted independence of means, as well as "being one's own boss." As Beth has noted, it is simply not used in conversati0n (and i'm older than she is), nor do i even recall my grandparents using it. I was raised by them and so was in the home with them every day--they were both born in the 1890s, and i suggest to you that the term had become nothing but a catty pejorative long before the alleged "sexual revolution."

That comment of Miller's about "sexist pig" is idiotic.
oristarA

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 08:55 am
@Setanta,
Thank you Set.

That is inspirational.

I understand your true feelings about this.

As part of my occupation, I've translated many scientific articles and news about breakthrough in science, especially in medical science, from English into Chinese. And many translations have been published on line as headlines on most distinguished medical website in China. So I've been deeply affected by the notion that "There are no forbidden zone for science". I know able2know is not a professional site for science, so it might be improper to post the possibly offensive question about the word spinster here. If you were offended, I am sorry but I didn't mean to.
JTT

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 11:22 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
and i suggest to you that the term had become nothing but a catty pejorative long before the alleged "sexual revolution."

That comment of Miller's about "sexist pig" is idiotic.

Miller's comment is no different than your assessment immediately prior, Setanta. Why do you believe that your subjective evaluation, "catty pejorative" is somehow more accurate than Miller's "sexist pig"?

Regarding the use of the terms, I have heard them used throughout my life. Certainly they are not terms that are commonly used as compared to other words but they do come up from time to time.

Unpopped kernels of popcorn at the bottom of the bowel were referred to as "old maids" with everyone knowing full well the reference.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:47 pm
@oristarA,
No, Oristar, i was not offended. I frankly cannot imagine being offended by anything you post. Miller's comment was silly and thoughtless, so i wasn't even offended by that . . . just disgusted in a roll your eyes sort of way.

I'm always glad to see you post, Boss . . .
McTag

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:18 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
The word spinster is a sour,degrading term according to Merriam Webster's explanation

Merriam Webster is wrong.