I did find oops in the hardware shop here and applied it. It does take quite a lot of rubbing, and I'm doing it in small doses, as I have a chemical allergy, so prolonged exposure to that smell gives me a headache, so inadvertently, I'm doing it moderately and gently.
And I have noticed that the stain is fainter and definitely smaller (so partially gone) than it was when I started. So I think it's working, but again, as you guys said, I can see the wood looking and feeling dryer in that spot, though not noticeably unless you really peer at it and run your hand over the spot.
It's definitely looking better than when I started and I think by the time I finish and apply the wood restorer, you'll barely, if at all, be able to tell anything happened.
So thanks for all your help. I'm encouraged that it looks a lot better than it did yesterday.