Nicoletti furniture. Anybody know anything?

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:35 pm
I'm supposed to go look at some furniture tonight that I found on craigslist. It is a leather sofa/loveseat from a company called Nicoletti.

I looked at the Nicoletti site and it has some cool stuff but very limited information about the construction and quality of the products used to manufacture it.

The rest of the stuff I've found is basically ads - ads without prices.

I really want something that will last a while. This furniture is used but is described as being in very good condition. They want $1,000 for both pieces.

Help me not get ripped off.

Is this stuff any good?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 31,379 • Replies: 55
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:49 pm
I'm still searching. It seems to be the Frontiera style of Nicoletti, if that gets you further than it's gotten me so far. Generally, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" and the lack of prices would seem to point towards EXPENSIVE.

Will keep looking...

From my experience with Craigslist, that's about where I'd expect a very good quality combo to be priced, if a bit on the low side. As in, my parents bought it for me and I don't want it anymore, or I'm moving tomorrow and this won't fit in the van!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:54 pm
Actually, scratch that, some surface similarities to "Frontiera" but lots of differences, too.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:56 pm
Ask permission to turn the stuff over and study the underside.

See:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/consumer/09536.html

Quote:
As in, my parents bought it for me and I don't want it anymore, or I'm moving tomorrow and this won't fit in the van!

Or I'm not living with my Ex's taste any longer!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:58 pm
Here's the ad:

Beautiful Tan Italian Leather Sofa and Loveseat.
Nicoletti Brand in Latte (color)
Both are in Great Condition, No Rips, tears or scratches.
Modern/Contemporary Style

http://b.im.craigslist.org/ga/XF/4SL7U7v4NGny0D7VhQWJxmozX0PN.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 06:01 pm
Thanks soz and Noddy.

I like that it is kind of plain-jane. Not all pillowy like a lot of leather furniture.

I'll check out the link Noddy!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 06:34 pm
I found this: http://www.nicolettisalotti.it/inglese/inglese.html

I get the impression that this is really well made, expensive stuff when its new.

They certainly don't go around boasting about their prices for whatever reason.

I just don't want to end up with some "cool" piece of crap!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 07:17 pm
This is what I thought it was:

http://www.askodesign.co.nz/files/images/nicoletti_frontiera.jpg

But there are several details that are different. That could mean an earlier version, or could mean knock-off.

Anyway, that page has a "request more information" button, one way to get more info...

http://www.askodesign.co.nz/index.cfm/Products/Furniture/Nicoletti_Leather/Frontiera
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 07:37 pm
I'm supposed to look at it in about an hour though.

From what I've seen I imagine this furniture is pretty expensive -- outside my price range to buy new. I don't mind if it's older if it's in good shape.

Tan is a nice neutral color too -- it would mix with just about anything.

The new stuff we've been looking at is at least twice that price.

We rented a condo at the beach last night and even Mr. B was talking about how nice it was to have something to sit on! I guess we'd better at least try to strike while the iron is hot and comfort seems to be an issue.

Get this -- the other thing we're looking at is a recliner. Mr. B is dying for one. I found a nice looking one, very modern, leather, hip, (a recliner I can live with, in other words) on craigslist for almost as much as the two sofas.

He thought that looked like "a really good deal".

Two sofas for a $1,000.

"Hmmmm....."

One recliner for $800.00

"Wow!"

Men.

And they complain that women are so "complex" and "hard to understand".

Gimme a break.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 07:58 pm
For $ 1000 you get two leather sofas in good quality -
can't go wrong there.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 08:36 pm
That is really my thinking CJane.

(Love the avatar. Really loved the one you had up the other day too. Where do you find these?)

But having bought "disposable" furniture in the past, thinking that it would last a while, I'm a bit skeptical on such things anymore.

I like the really simple lines of this sofa. It's the kind of thing you could live with for a bit. It's the kind of thing that you don't send to the landfill.

Shopping for stuff is such a pain. I don't want to have to turn around and do it again in a few years.

Anyway.....

We had to reschedule our "go see" for tomorrow. They just called and they were still at the airport. Mo is being a total crank from our long day of fun at the beach.

I guess now I'll have to turn my attention to coffee tables.

I'm finding craigslist as addictive as A2K.

I'm really thinking that there might be a niche market for photographing stuff for craigslist..... email your photo to me..... I'll fix it up.... send it back..... you give me 10% .....

I'm tempted to try to shoot some stuff and try to sell it just to test my theory that crappy photography keeps a lot of stuff from selling.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:50 pm
Craigslist IS addicting! I perch on the writing jobs to make money and then perch on the furniture listings to spend it, though so far I've actually kept myself in check pretty well. Only two purchases so far, both steals.

If I lived in Portland, though, I dunno what I'd do! You guys have absolute scads of furniture listings, and a lot of it looks really cool.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:48 pm
boomerang, I just save pictures I find funny and make them
to avatars.

Ohmygosh, I just spent the last hour browsing through
craigslist. The barter section is funny. One guy offers
free massage in return for women panties http://www.borge.diesal.de/schiel.gif
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:50 pm
I hope it's not too late to say sit on the sofa and see if you gradually slide off...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:49 am
If you check out the "Best of" or "Rants" on craigslist, CJane, you will really get an eyefull! The rants section even comes with a warning that you may find some of this stuff offensive.

I remember your slide/sofa, osso!

I think Mr. B will probably go see the sofa tonight after work and make the decision on his own. I trust his judgement - he won't buy anything that isn't comfortable.

We'll see what happens.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:30 pm
Grrrr.......

Here I even vaccuum expecting furnirture. Vaccuum I tell you! Vaccuuming sends every animal and child in the house into a frenzy!

And the witch doesn't bother to call back today.

Damn yuppies and their furniture......
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:15 pm
boomer, you think they sold it already, or are just flaky?

Look here EBAY
you get a brandnew sofa & loveseat for around $ 1000.00
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:46 am
I think they're just yuppies.

I have a hard time buying things without seeing them first. E-Bay is kind of spooky for me that way. I've bought some cameras on there but I know a thing or two about cameras so it didn't seem so risky.

Still, it might be worth checking! I'll take a look.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:31 pm
Does anybody recognize this style?

A room full of furniture for a bit over $1,000 sounds like a good deal. (Sofa, 2 chairs, ottoman, 2 end tables).

The photo is kind of crappy. I had to move it to Photoshop and lighten it up to even get an idea of what it looked like.

I wonder how hard it would be to change the legs around......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/sofacopy.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:34 pm
Depends on how they're attached. IKEA sells all kinds of legs, big and small, and if you can get those off you could get some from IKEA for cheap plus the means of attaching them. But from the photo it looks like those legs could possibly be structural, part of or welded to the frame...
0 Replies