Furniture from Eucalyptus wood?

cjcor

Sun 10 Sep, 2017 02:28 am
I wonder if someone has some advice please
We are in the process of felling a rather large Eucalyptus tree. Circumference at ground level is 2200mm.
It would seem logical to make some chunky furniture from the trunk (like a live edge table, etc) – obviously after letting it dry out for a considerable period.
However, we have heard that the wood is prone to cracking and not ideal for such use… does anyone have first-hand experience on this sort of thing please? Is there any way to prevent the cracking as it dries out?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,486 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Sun 10 Sep, 2017 02:53 am
@cjcor,
I've no experience with eucalyptus, but with Osage orange wood, the tip is to seal the ends with something like aluminum paint and just store it in the attic for a few years so it dries out very slowly. Something that massive will take longer than two years.

Why not google "seasoning of wood" (or lumber)? I expect it will respond to general advice.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 13 Feb, 2018 06:25 am
I'd get it rough cut to size before air drying it, one year per inch of thickness. If you're thinking of a table top a slab may be too unstable but you can cut rough planks with the idea of gluing them up after they've been seasoned. They're easier to run through a planer, as well.
0 Replies

MatthewLyon

Fri 31 Aug, 2018 11:34 pm
@cjcor,
Osage orange wood is much better to use. I have used furniture from this wood, they are much durable and offer long-term flexibility too.
0 Replies

adityaroy

Thu 27 Sep, 2018 05:30 am
Eucalyptus wood is an eco-friendly and durable option to teak wood if it is treated regularly with sealant it lasts long. This wood is naturally resistant to insect infestation; it can also resist the damage resulted due to moisture. This tropical hardwood is used to create furniture items such as sofa sets, outdoor dining tables, cabinets, TV stands, chairs and so on.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Furniture from Eucalyptus wood?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 09:57:07