worldwide industrial layout

fansy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 04:25 am
Quote:
Developing countries are facing precious opportunities for sharpening their competitive edge through worldwide industrial layout and adjustment of international division of labor.

Can you work out the meaning of "worldwide industrial layout"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,413 • Replies: 9
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 05:14 am
"layout" could mean "efforts"
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 06:46 am
@fansy,
Can you work out the meaning of "worldwide industrial layout"?

i think its when working girls set up shop nearby and all the men are infrastructure
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:02 am
@fansy,
This is poorly worded and very confusing. I think it means that industry is changing so that it no longer has factories in just one place and that provides opportunities for places with no factories.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:45 am
@fansy,
Industrial Layout has a specific meaning that doesn't work in the context of the sentence you're reviewing.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Industrial-Layout&id=3931891

Quote:
Industrial Layout is a discipline of technical drawing which is a combination of architectural and survey drafting.

It appears that the author of the referenced sentence didn't know the meaning of industrial layout.

0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:21 pm
@fansy,
This is written by an economist who lumps all things together in a summary. He probably means how industry is physically laid and how it affects the economy and efficiency of the indusrial production.
fansy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 05:07 pm
@talk72000,
Yeah, this is a piece of translation I am revising. The Chinese text is "gongye buju", which means, to plan setting up manufacturing industries in various parts of the country, as for example, set up light industries in the eastern part of China, heavy industries in the northern part of China. Or this may also apply to development of industries across the world. So what phrase you suggest?
talk72000

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 05:17 pm
@fansy,
I can't read Chinese. Industrial planning and siting of industries would be much more to my taste. However, there are many ways to phrase it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 06:03 pm
@fansy,
Maybe "Industrial Engineering" would work.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:28 am
@fansy,
Quote:
Developing countries are facing precious opportunities for sharpening their competitive edge through worldwide industrial layout and adjustment of international division of labor.

Developing countries are facing precious opportunities for sharpening their efficiency through the worldwide dispersal of industries and adjusting for the competitive international labor market.
0 Replies