Soap scum in the shower.

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:21 pm
Two days ago I cleaned my shower recess with CLR (calcium, lime, rust remover)- the only thing that will effectively clean it. Already it's building up again. Any ideas how to reduce it from sticking to tiles like sh!t to a blanket. It's driving my nuts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,180 • Replies: 51
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:31 pm
What is the shower made out of? Tile? Plastics?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:38 pm
Sounds like a water problem. Better upgrade your water softener.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:39 pm
The last line in Wilso's post was...

Quote:
It's driving my nuts.

Freudian slip?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:40 pm
Get a gallon of pickling vinegar, stronger vinegar than you use in salads, decant some into a spray bottle and spray it on, wipe. Works at my hacienda.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:46 pm
Since you own the place, yeah, get a water softener. Long term, those minerals will also build up in the pipes and hot water heater.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:51 pm
Water hardness has never been a problem here. But I might have to give it a go.

Shower's got tiles.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:55 pm
Is the surface of the tiles still very smooth and shiny?
What do they feel like just after you've cleaned them?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:56 pm
How about that Freudian Slip, Wilso? Wanna explain that?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 07:06 pm
Wilso - try using shower gel, rather than soap - it has stopped build up on my shower glass.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 07:08 pm
Dlowan, I was going to say that maybe buildup on your shower glass wouldn't be such a bad thing, but then I thought, "Nah, you'd better not go there, Gus."
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 07:10 pm
As for the shower glass, I found that if you get the stuff which coats windshields ("Rain"...something... here in the US), it keeps the door shiny clear!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 07:14 pm
I'm getting ready to run. If Dlowan sees what I wrote.... I'm a dead man.

How could I have been so foolish?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 07:21 pm
Rain Dance? Never thought of that.

Uh, if you have something that responds to calcium, lime, and rust remover, I deduce that you have some fairly hard water down there. The iron is a minor impurity in the calcium carbonate. Remove the lime and the rust goes with it. Vinegar works the same as hydrochloric acid - just takes longer.

On an a2k recommendation, I bought a B&D Scum Buster. Sadly, the battery is still charging, so no report.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 07:36 pm
Ahhhhh, my friend the scumbuster.
It's done wonders for my shower, bath, sink AND the living room carpet (i got the carpet nap lifter attachment for a buck or two).
I also like spraying diluted vinegar all over the shower and shower door.
Something about the smell of vinegar assures me that things are clean.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 07:48 pm
NOT Rain Dance that's car wax.... RAINX..... makes glass so slick nothing can stick to it.

And now major secret revealed

Wait till the shower tiles are completely dry,
then buff them with 0000 steel wool.
It MUST be 0000 and no water of any kind.

What will happen is all the soap film ends up in the wool pads. Surprised
(I guess for our OZ and Inglesi friends, they should use the finest steel available whatever the rating.)
You can also use 0000 to take those water spots off the chrome and brass fittings. And buff all the spittle off the mirrors!!

What happens next is the tiles are so slick the hard water can't stick to them just rebuff with the 0000 every couple of weeks.

Joe Cool
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 07:52 pm
I squeegy the tile after I take a shower, and our maid gives it a good clean every two weeks. Keeps it like new. I don't believe in water softeners, because they use salt, and that's not good for our health. I'd rather see our house pipes rotten than my insides. Not good for high blood pressure, either.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 07:54 pm
Another idea I've been using for many years is the use of shower curtains on the door side. The metal on the sliding doors still look like new. Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 11:54 pm
We use OXY CLEAN. Its a concoction of an Alkali peroxide salt and some kind of surfactant . Im trying to back design it and have found that K peroxide is stronger tha Ca peroxide, but its more expensive at the chem supplier.
OXYCLEAN de scums and keeps the tile really shiny for weeks.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 07:35 am
I've been seeing adverts up here in the states for a new cleaner that has teflon in it, and is suppose to adhere to the surface and make dirt/scum/whatever slide off easier. Don't remember the name of the product, or where I saw it on the telly, but I'm sure if you googled teflon and cleaner it would pop up.
0 Replies