The most remarkable feature

tintin

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:39 am
Please see this English text ....

The most remarkable feature of the recent virus attack (agent.btz) on the classified network that alarmed pentagon may not be the breach of security, but the cost of dealing with it. In the civilian world, at least one bank has dealt with agent.btz by blocking all its computers’ USB ports with glue. Every bit of portable memory in the sprawling American military establishment now needs to be scrubbed clean before it can be used again.

I'm not getting the concept ...lacking some knowledge here.

>>>but the cost of dealing with it. .....how ? for example ?

>>>In the civilian world, at least one bank has dealt with agent.btz by blocking all its computers’ USB ports with glue ...... glued ? what ! did they sealed the USB port ? or this has some other meaning ? this part not clear.

basically, after reading this text , I don't get the connection between glue and virus Sad ..does glue resisting virus ? no Antivirus software required ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,329 • Replies: 6
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:59 am
@tintin,
Two separate questions here

The cost of dealing with it: The virus itself did not do a lot of damage, but the actions companies had to take to rid their networks cost them a lot of money. They had to pull people off of other work, take down networks and repair infected computers. That cost them a lot of time and effort that could be spent doing other things.

Glue: Yes, this means they seal the USB ports by pouring glue into them. The glue hardens and ruins the port. This is an extreme measure to prevent employees from bringing infected files from home in and re-infecting the networks. Of course, this costs the company money to ruin the ports and impacts productivity since employees can no longer use this tool to get work down.
tintin

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:22 am
@engineer,
That looks better now ....

but see they said Every bit of portable memory in the sprawling American military establishment now needs to be scrubbed clean before it can be used again.

portable memory ? what is this ? are they talking about USB Flash Drive ? that need not be scrubbed ....they said "scrubbed clean"....I think they should have said "scrubbing Glued USB port" ..not the pen drive.

something missing here .

very much surprising to know that a bank sealed off all USB port to stop virus spread Smile ....what the heck Antiviruses are doing !!!
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:45 am
Can anyone please explain this part Every bit of portable memory in the sprawling American military establishment now needs to be scrubbed clean before it can be used again.

Every bit of portable memory ----> ?

engineer

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:58 am
@tintin,
You have it right, it means USB type drives, but also portable hard drives, camera chips, etc. The concern is that the virus can bypass virus protection and may have infected portable drives when they were connected to infected computers. This is not related to the bank and glue comment.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 09:20 am
Ok....but I am just concerned here ..now needs to be scrubbed clean before it can be used again.

scrubbing ? how come a scrubbing chase away a virus ? Am I missing something here . ...Could you please elaborate at this part....Is it rhetorical
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:33 pm
They're not talking soap and water in scrubbing. It is, I suppose, metaphorical in a sense--they're cleaning hard drives, flash drives, chips, etc. of computer viruses--they're using electronic "scrubbers", i.e. software, like malware removers to "Scrub" things.
0 Replies