Sodas = soda drinks?

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 02:16 am
Context:

Early Death by Junk Food? High Levels of Phosphate in Sodas and Processed Foods Accelerate the Aging Process in Mice

ScienceDaily (Apr. 28, 2010) " Here's another reason to kick the soda habit. New research published online in the FASEB Journal shows that high levels of phosphates may add more "pop" to sodas and processed foods than once thought. That's because researchers have found that the high levels of phosphates accelerate signs of aging. High phosphate levels may also increase the prevalence and severity of age-related complications, such as chronic kidney disease and cardiovascular calcification, and can also induce severe muscle and skin atrophy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 771 • Replies: 14
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 04:34 am
@oristarA,
The question is: sodas here probably include both drinks and foods that contain soda.
chai2

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 05:12 am
@oristarA,
No, sodas are drinks.
They are referring to various types of soda, like Coke, root bear, Pepsi, etc.

Food doesn't contain soda, generally.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 08:48 am
In certain parts of America, chiefly I think the Midwest, maybe some of the South)sodas are called "pop" ( a century ago the term was soda pop--it got shortened differently in different parts of the country). The carbon dioxide in them reacts with water to form carbonic acid, which provides the fizz and also makes them taste tart. Generally the makers also add a bit of phosphoric acid, for additioal tartness. I suspect that is what is producing the phosphates, tho I haven't checked the chemistry involved. "Sodas" does, in fact, refer to the drinks.
Luzy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 10:05 am
@oristarA,
soda is like a drug people get so addicted to it
dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 10:10 am
@Luzy,
yes, over the past 20 years I've averaged about 3 or perhaps 4 sodas per month. I've given up on breaking my addiction.
Luzy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 05:38 pm
@dyslexia,
what i did to break it is i started drinking juice ....but now im addicted to that
chai2

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:18 pm
@Luzy,
juice is nothing but a gateway beverage.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:36 pm
Thank you all
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:53 pm
@MontereyJack,
Here in the west we still call sodas "pop"
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:42 pm
TTH, really? I thought the Left Coast was "soda" country. Guess I was wrong--live and learn.

Actually in New England soda used to be called "tonic", since the original purpose of most carbonated beverages was as medicinal elixirs, or tonics. The word was obviously a vestige left over from the 19th century. It was only in the last ten years or less that my local supermarket changed those overhead signs that tell you what's in each aisle from "tonic" to "sodas"
ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 11:02 am
@MontereyJack,
In this part of Canada, soda/pop etc is called soft drinks. If you're at a restaurant, you'll be asked if you'd like "a drink, beer, wine, water or a soft drink" at the beginning of your meal.
TTH

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 11:30 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth you are correct that in restaurants soda/pop is called soft drinks at least here where I live. In conversations or if you go into a deli/gas station then people mostly say pop.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 11:46 am
@TTH,
Hi TTH. How about the grocery store? here it is labelled as the soft drink aisle.
0 Replies

VSPrasad

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:35 pm
@oristarA,
Plural of Soda:
carbonated water.
Chiefly Northeastern U.S., Eastern Missouri, & Southwestern Illinois - soft drink.
A refreshment made from carbonated water, ice cream, and usually a flavoring.
(Games) The card turned face up at the beginning of faro.
(Cookery) US and Canadian a fizzy drink

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Sodas

0 Replies