boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 12:36 pm
@mismi,
Aww. Poor thing. I'm reading that it can be really, really hard on girls emotionally. I'm glad they've got it under control.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 12:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
I can't agree, hawkeye simply because of the whole bother about pregnancy and disease. There can be signifigant consequences to sex that I don't think 15 year olds can handle -- or 17 year olds for that matter.
Linkat

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 12:57 pm
@boomerang,
I agree - they may be physically ready, but are they emotionally ready?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 01:29 pm
@eoe,
Most of my group of friends started between ages 10 and 12 - that's over 40 years ago. Nothing new with that. 7 and 8, now that seems crazy young to me.
mismi

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 01:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh it is crazy...10 - 12 understandable...still early to me but not unheard of - 7 blows my mind.

food. scary.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 01:36 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Most of my group of friends started between ages 10 and 12 - that's over 40 years ago. Nothing new with that. 7 and 8, now that seems crazy young to me.

Same here. My mother says she started when she was 10.

That was 1943.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 01:54 pm
Quote:
Results found that in their seventh year, 27% of African-American girls and 7% of white girls had begun breast development and/or had pubic hair. Between ages eight and nine, those numbers had increased to 48% of African-American girls and 15% of white girls. Also at age eight, 17% of African-American girls and 2% of white girls had axillary hair.

Menarche occurred in the girls’ eleventh year for 28% of African-American girls and 13% of white girls. At age 12, 62% of African-American girls and 35% of white girls had begun menstruating. For white girls in the US, the age of first menstruation has remained stable over the past 45 years. In African-American girls, age at menarche has declined by about 6 months in the past 20 to 30 years. The authors felt that the change in age at menarche in African-American girls may be due to their coming closer to achieving optimal nutritional and health status.

Girls in this study were taller and heavier than in the first and second National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys (NHANES, which occurred more than 20 years ago), especially the older girls. Girls in the study who had one or more secondary sexual characteristic were larger and heavier than girls who had not begun puberty. A 1994 report on the National Growth and Health Study found a similar increase in the height and weight of nine and 10-year-old African-American and white girls compared to results from previous NHANES studies.

The mean onset age for breast development was 8.9 years for African-American girls and 10.0 for white girls. Pubic hair onset began at age 8.8 for African-American girls and 10.5 for white girls. Axillary hair appeared at the average age of 10.1 in African-American girls and 11.8 in white girls. All of the characteristics emerged significantly earlier in African-American girls both with and without controlling for height and weight
http://www.center4research.org/children11.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 01:56 pm
@boomerang,
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/90/6/1559

it's only an abstract but ...

Quote:
Objective: The objective was to investigate whether early life exposures influence the timing of puberty, as defined by both early and late markers, in healthy German girls and boys.

Quote:
Conclusion: In both boys and girls, intrauterine and early postnatal growth factors appear to influence both early and later markers of puberty onset independently of prepubertal body composition.

low birth weight and subsequent rapid weight gain are triggers for early onset
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 01:58 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I agree - they may be physically ready, but are they emotionally ready?
it does not matter if adults think they are ready or not, teens have sex, and the earlier they mature the earlier they have sex on average. Holding out for 17 YO when the age of puberty is going down is dumb.

I put my energy as a parent into my kids practicing safe and rewarding sex....trying to influence when they are sexual does not interest me, it is not a good use of my limited ability to mold my kids.
boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 02:28 pm
@ehBeth,
Mo was just shy of 10 pounds when he was born so low birth weight isn't an issue.

I think those studies of intrauterine environments is fascinating. Fetal alcohol syndrome is certain evidence of the impact of gestational environment. You have to wonder what else effects it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 02:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's great but remember that when some other kid, the kid your kid choses for a partner, enters into the equation all bets are off. Who knows where they've been, what they've done, who they've been with, what their parents have taught them, etc., etc., etc..
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 02:35 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
That's great but remember that when some other kid, the kid your kid choses for a partner, enters into the equation all bets are off. Who knows where they've been, what they've done, who they've been with, what their parents have taught them, etc., etc., etc
how does that matter if you have taught your kid to do what is right for them, to not tolerate abuse, and to use a condom?

I trust my kids, and I have faith that I have done a fairly good job raising them...after that I don't need to concern myself with the details that my kids should be handling.
boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 04:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm sure you're right.

I just know that for most teenagers their choice of partner can be far removed from logic and reason.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 04:21 pm
@boomerang,
I SEE heaps of kids like that.

Seems to go with the general "bad start" stuff. Oh, and of course, better nutrition!

For girls, there's a debate re causes of early puberty in girls not living with a natural father (that they often have early puberty seems indisputable): the debate, as I last read about it, was about whether having at least the first five years living with natural father was protective against early puberty, or if living with men not their natural father was a risk factor. (The earlier the puberty in girls, the more risk of teen pregnancy...again, id it the hormones, or the unsettled start?)

Kids have a lot of hormonal stuff going on from about two years before things start sprouting and swelling and smelling.

There's a lot of neuro research stuff around now positing about why kids tend to re-work trauma, be so grumpy and hysterical and all.

The brain has a re-working and re-wiring second only to the first three years.
boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 05:09 pm
@dlowan,
That's interesting about "re-working" stuff.

While we were at the Dr's office, waiting for the appointment, Mo sat down with a woman and her little (about 3) boy. Mo starts talking about how much he loves little kids so the woman asks if he has any little brothers or sisters.

I was really surprised when Mo replies "Oh yeah! I have two little sisters. I love it when they come over. They don't live with us. I'm adopted and they live with their dad, who isn't my dad, but we have the same mom blahblahblahblahblah".

Thank goodness they called us back for the appointment right then or this woman would have had our whole life histories.

We see his sisters very, vary rarely. I was gobsmaked that Mo felt such a connection.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 05:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Interesting. We're in the same age bracket I suppose, but we started between 12 - 14. 10 was unheard of back then. At least, in my crew.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 05:22 pm
@eoe,
Well, now, 12-14 fit my friends. I was an early 13, myself. I've written about it before, as it happened when I was 1/2 - 2/3 up the steps of the Washington Monument. Whence I proceed to work my way down to the bathrooms, another several hundred steps. Who nows what I did to deal with it. Let's guess paper towels.
When I emerged there was one angry and frightened bus (lest I be lost) with some barking parents/tour guides.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 05:23 pm
@eoe,
Well, now, 12-14 fit my friends. I was an early 13, myself. I've written about it before, as it happened when I was 1/2 - 2/3 up the steps of the Washington Monument on our girl scout trip.. Whence I proceed to work my way down to the bathrooms, another several hundred steps. G/nows what I did to deal with it. Let's guess paper towels.
When I emerged there was one angry and frightened bus (lest I be lost) with some barking parents/tour guides.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 05:27 pm
@ossobuco,
But wait, never mind my anecdote. I'm interested re Mo.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 05:45 pm
To me it sounds like a thyroid deficiency. Especially the weight gain and
moodiness is so indicative for it. Since his blood will be checked for that, the
results should give you a better answer.

Yes, puberty has similar symptoms - especially in girls (sans the weight gain)
and on the onset of menstruation. My daughter started menstruating around the age of 12 while one of her friends was indeed only 9 years old and I felt so
sorry for that poor kid.

Mo could have a food allergy too - symptoms are similar as well.
0 Replies