Was the invasion of Iraq justified?

au1929

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:39 am
Scrat
The fact that we were wrong is staring us in the face. We were wrong about WMD's. We were wrong about being greeted and cheered by the conquered or freed Iraqi's. We were wrong about paying for the war with oil revenues. We were wrong about our post war plans. We were wrong about going it alone. We were wrong believing the lies told to us by the Bush administration. We were wrong, we were wrong, we were wrong.
And now they would like us to believe this new found evidence. For me this administration has no credibility.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:48 am
au1929 wrote:
Scrat
The fact that we were wrong is staring us in the face. We were wrong about WMD's. We were wrong about being greeted and cheered by the conquered or freed Iraqi's. We were wrong about paying for the war with oil revenues. We were wrong about our post war plans. We were wrong about going it alone. We were wrong believing the lies told to us by the Bush administration. We were wrong, we were wrong, we were wrong.
And now they would like us to believe this new found evidence. For me this administration has no credibility.

You make my point splendidly. YOU have decided that you KNOW whether we were right, whether there was justification, about WMD, ... Why read the news anymore? You KNOW. Right?

It's pretty amazing how rational people seem to say "Hey, Saddam had WMD but now he doesn't" without the slightest acknowledgement that something had to happen to them.

And that's just one of your points. Confused
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 10:21 am
Scrat
Since you believe in the gospel as written by this administration. I wont say Bush since I doubt on his own he could put two coherent sentences together. There is very little room for discussion. Realize that even the administration changed it's story regarding the reason for the invasion. What were those seventeen little words? Was it a song? They are also presently on a new plan a day schedule trying to get out of Iraq before the election. Sort of reminds of a mad scientist experimenting with peoples lives. Frankenstein perhaps?
IMO this administration has been and is a failure. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 10:24 am
au1929 wrote:
Scrat

The WMD issue is still open, and may never be solved, but still the risk of not going further to discover them wasn't a good option.

We were cheered by Iraqi's, the ones who cheered are not the ones fighting us.

Oil revenues will not pay for the rebuilding of Iraq per se, the oil is now traded in dollars which wouldn't have happened had we not acted. Hopefully Iraq will respond if we need any oil favors down the road, again this would not have happened if we had not deposed Saddam. The paybacks will come in many different ways.

I believed the ball was dropped in post war plans, still as wars go it has been an unprecedented success. The war in general has caused the terrorist to react globally which I believe is going to be a good thing in the end. The terrorist going active will get more countries involved in the fight, a fight that is inevitable, the terrorist cells are constantly simmering anyway to do their cowardly strikes, better to keep them on the run than wait to die like sitting ducks.

We were not wrong to go it alone, in fact we didn't many countries are in the coalition. It is wrong for us to view the UN as a savior, we shouldn't give in to internationalism when it concerns our interest and security.

The so called 'lies' are just political wrappers, again you don't tip your hand in geopolitics. We knew France and Germany were only showing their political wrappers, thinking they could goat us into inaction, they were wrong and now they're pissed, too bad, advantage America.

You have fallen into the trap of the left who refuse to recognize this is who we are, America has always, and hopefully will always do what in it's best interest. Those who contiunue to harp on 'lies' are doing harm to our efforts and would put our security and interest at risk if they were making the decisions. That this administration has no credibility with you or those of your opinion, is only an opinion.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 10:53 am
Brand X
I am neither on the left or the right and have over the years given my vote to members of both parties. I believe this administration to be a failure in most areas of government. And what is worse, although I understand that most politicians "bend the truth" this administrations bending has become quite transparent. Therefore any pronouncements or revelations now coming out of Washington are IMO suspect.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 12:57 pm
Re: Was the invasion of Iraq justified?
Scrat wrote:
nimh wrote:
This in the news today:

Quote:
CIA: No evidence of WMD transfer

Agency has no proof that Saddam gave weapons to terrorists

What a difference a day makes...

Quote:
US 'proof' of Saddam's al-Qa'ida link
By Stephen Hayes, The Weekly Standard

Actually, that was old news - from before the article I posted. It was already covered by the article I posted. And note what it said about it - emphasis added:

Quote:
Yesterday, allegations of new evidence of connections between Iraq and al Qaeda contained in a classified annex attached to Feith’s Oct. 27 letter to leaders of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence were published in the Weekly Standard. Feith had been asked to support his July 10 closed-door testimony about such connections. The classified annex summarized raw intelligence reports but did not analyze them or address their accuracy, according to a senior administration official familiar with the matter.
0 Replies