Felony or Misdemeanor of Baseball Etiquette? Or Stay off my MOUND!!!!

Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 02:43 pm
@joefromchicago,
I have called for a knockdown for this particular offense.

if I remember correctly, I was a sophomore catcher in high school.

everyone knows better...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 04:05 pm
I admit that I didn't know about this particular unwritten rule. Well, I've only been a fan for more than 50 years. I guess it never came up before.

Who better than I to offer a Bronx cheer for what I view as just a teeny weeny bit of overreaction.

He shouldn'ta done it. No argument. A-rod--not a model citizen or your favorite player. Fine.

Throwing in a Bronx cheer on general principal.

Bronx cheer. (Ooh. That was a wet one.)

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 04:45 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Much of the details of my early life remain unwritten. I haven't gotten to that chapter of my autobiography yet.

What? That was in your childhood, are you stuck at "I was born at an early age"?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 05:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Something I saw yesterday, or by now maybe the day before, listed a bunch of similar clueless seeming (or not) moves by A-Rod. I have no idea what goes on in the minds of the players of River City.. this article, to the extent I remember, considered all that six ways from Sunday.

I'm looking for it, will post link if I find it. (Go, Cards..)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 06:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I am taking the Laurence Sterne approach to autobiography, spending the first section of the book on an account of the events leading up to my birth. I'm up to the Spanish Reconquista now.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 08:16 pm
@Roberta,
OOOH that made me laugh.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 08:41 pm
@panzade,
OK, OK, I'll try one more time to see if I can find the article. Rolls eyes.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:06 pm
@ossobuco,
I did see an article, probably an off shoot of yahoo.com or some other, elaborating A-Rod's odd behavior.. while showing him as a cutie in the article lead.

Eh!
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 04:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Of course you did. But there's no evidence for this because it was "unwritten" right?

Can anyone cite any record of this purported rule prior to 2010?

No more than anyone can cite the rule not to show up a pitcher by looking too long at the plate at a homer you just hit off of him.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:51 pm
Normally I don't send traffic to these sorts of people, but it is about baseball etiquette..... and funny as hell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/02/AR2010040201936.html
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:56 pm
@kuvasz,
I'm waiting for audible.com to grab the audiobook for Jason Turbow's The Baseball Codes. I heard him talk about it on a couple of NPR shows already.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:59 pm
@kuvasz,
that's a great column
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:15 am

ok, NOW dallas braden has something to brag about the next time someone dares to step on his mound...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300509111
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 04:31 am
fyi Unwritten rules violations

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&page=starting9/100505
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 04:53 am
@kuvasz,
That seems kind of a one sided article as if only batters can violate the unwritten rules and the pitchers are the oh so poor harmless victims of all the cruel sins of baseball. Rolling Eyes

Perhaps 3 batters need to be interviewed for a fair and balanced case on unwritten rules violations.

Thanks for the link kuvasz! Smile
0 Replies