Why I am a Republican - By Dwight D. Eisenhower

Setanta

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 02:59 pm
That lower taxes bullshit was a particular product of the Ronnie Raygun campaign. Obviously, greedy people don't like paying taxes. But that does not mean that it was foundational principle of either the Republican Party or of American conservatism until it wsa introduced in 1980.
okie

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 06:09 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That lower taxes bullshit was a particular product of the Ronnie Raygun campaign. Obviously, greedy people don't like paying taxes. But that does not mean that it was foundational principle of either the Republican Party or of American conservatism until it wsa introduced in 1980.
To correct you, "lower taxes" is not the correct term, it is "lower tax rates,' which have been responsible for higher tax revenues at various points in history. Another correction, it was JFK BEFORE Reagan that introduced lower tax rates to enhance revenues. Here is proof.
http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2003/08/the-historical-lessons-of-lower-tax-rates

More corrections,honest hard working Americans do not mind paying txes fo efficient government. It is greedy people that demand others pay more to support their wasteful gograms and their vested interests.
parados

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 07:02 pm
@okie,
So.. Eisenhower is a conservative because he RAISED tax rates?

You did notice your Heritage piece of poor conclusions never mentions any Eisenhower tax cuts because they don't exist, didn't you?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 07:03 pm
@okie,
Are you ignoring my post here
http://able2know.org/topic/144183-6#post-4748797

It raises serious questions about what a conservative is.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 09:57 pm
@Setanta,
How many times do you need to be told that conservatives can have differing opiniions AND POLICIES? Also, that was a different economic time as w e were leaving the war years. The overwhelming evidence however is that Ike was strongly conservative in his core beliefs. We have another example named Bush who did not govern coNsiSTEntly conservative with his domestic policy. I think one could find inconsistenties with every president. Remember too that CongressionAL POLICY feeds into the equation.
Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:04 am
@okie,
Remember, too, that it was your claim that Eisenhower is a classic conserative and that the evidence of this was in his policies--of course, if you're going to basically say that conservative policies are all over the road, we can brand anyone a classic conservatie using your criteria.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:14 am
@okie,
The point (and you so often ignore the point of what one has written) is that Ronnie Raygun made tax cutting a mantra of political conservatism. It doesn't matter who had done it in the past or who would do it in the future--Raygun made it a cornerstone of his campaign. No wonder Pappy Bush called it Voodoo economics when he campaigned against Raygun in the primaries.

okie wrote:
More corrections,honest hard working Americans do not mind paying txes fo efficient government. It is greedy people that demand others pay more to support their wasteful gograms and their vested interests.

Do you mean like the greedy people who exploit the soil bank and agricultural subsidies--the corporate "farmers" who buy land, or dairy herds, or who plant certain crops solely for the purpose of getting government handouts? Do you mean like the vested interests such as the energy industry who can meet behind closed doors with the Veep to formulate administration energy policy to suit themselves? Do you mean people who support wasteful programs such as Halliburton selling fuel to the governmen in Iraq at scandalous prices--Halliburton, the corporate welfare queen who got the unbid contracts in Iraq?

Are those kinds of greedy people to whom you refer? Or are you worried about some trailer trash mom who gets a welfare check? You are aware, aren't you, that the majority of social welfare recipients are white and rural, and not black and urban?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:14 am
Eisenhower was a centrist Republican, a bit right of center but definitely not what people today call conservative. Back then they would have thought the Tea Party were wild-eyed raving loonies. Of course, they'd have been right.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:21 am
I've noticed that conservatives like okie always characterize programs that the 80% of the country not in the conservative base want as wasteful, because conservatives don't want it and of course if they don't want it it can't be any good, e3ven if everybody else wants it, and they consider any group composed of people in that 80% as a vested interest or a special interest group, and of course they think conservatives' motives are always pure and can't possibly be said to back only the interests of their political claque. Tain't so, okie.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 10:10 am
Eisenhower chose the Republicans because it is slightly easier to become a practicing war criminal/mass murderer when you are a Republican. There's more of a base supporting such activities.
okie

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 08:34 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Eisenhower chose the Republicans because it is slightly easier to become a practicing war criminal/mass murderer when you are a Republican. There's more of a base supporting such activities.
Do you want to start comparing conservative mass murderers to those on the Left? On the Left, we could start with Hitler, Stalin, pOL pot, Chairman Mao, and on down the list.

Actually, it is much easier for Leftists to mass murder, because they view INDIVIDUAL LIFE AND Feedom secondary to collective good, and they often deem sacrificeof individuals necessary to achieve greater good of the whole. Hitler's philosophy was a prime example of that, wherein he tried to stamp out the greed of Jewish capitalism.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 08:47 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Do you want to start comparing conservative mass murderers to those on the Left? On the Left, we could start with Hitler, Stalin, pOL pot, Chairman Mao, and on down the list.

Actually, it is much easier for Leftists to mass murder, because they view INDIVIDUAL LIFE AND Feedom secondary to collective good, and they often deem sacrificeof individuals necessary to achieve greater good of the whole. Hitler's philosophy was a prime example of that, wherein he tried to stamp out the greed of Jewish capitalism by exterminating the Jews..
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 12:56 am
@okie,
okie wrote:
Hitler's philosophy was a prime example of that, wherein he tried to stamp out the greed of Jewish capitalism by exterminating the Jews..

I know, I know ... but again:

exactly "Hitler's philosophy" (I think, it's really to much honour to call his weird ideas so) is an example of extreme right-wing ideas.

I've said so hundred times, okie: I'd really like that you have just one time the opportunity to read the original documents and sources ...
okie

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
exactly "Hitler's philosophy" (I think, it's really to much honour to call his weird ideas so) is an example of extreme right-wing ideas.

I've said so hundred times, okie: I'd really like that you have just one time the opportunity to read the original documents and sources ...
First, I give no hononor toHitler's philosopphy, because Nazism is aLeftward radical idealogy.I've told ypou how many times does it take to read Mein Kampf and the Nazi 25 points to see the obvious fact that it was extreme Leftist idealogy that drove Hitler's policies? Are you so blinded by your intellectualism that simple facts are a mystery to you now? I think your problem now is that you cannot see the forest for the trees.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:35 am
@okie,
okie wrote:
Are you so blinded by your intellectualism that simple facts are a mystery to you now?

Dear okie,

I speak German since more than 60 years, can understand and read it.

I know about that period, by written and oral sources.

That has nothing to do with "intellectualism" but more with "understanding".
And getting things in the correct order, the right order in this case (pun intended).

okie wrote:
I've told ypou how many times does it take to read Mein Kampf and the Nazi 25 points to see the obvious fact that it was extreme Leftist idealogy that drove Hitler's policies?

Well, okie, if you don't mind, I rely more on history and historic facts than what you tell me.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:57 am
MY GOD!!! A horrific thought just struck me. What if Okie is a school teacher.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 12:03 pm
@okie,
Quote:

Okay, Okie, you've made your comparison, but Ike wasn't quite as bad as many of these folks in number but he was as bad in kind. You can't go any higher than 1st class war criminal.

Quote:
Actually, it is much easier for Leftists to mass murder, because they view INDIVIDUAL LIFE AND Feedom secondary to collective good, and they often deem sacrificeof individuals necessary to achieve greater good of the whole.

The record of the US shows that even those that you might call 'left' in the US are equally capable of war crimes, mass murder, torture, rape, ... . But you haven't ever had any prezes that are left wing. You have only had right wing Nazis and conservatives as prezes.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 12:24 pm
@okie,
Quote:
I've told ypou how many times does it take to read Mein Kampf and the Nazi 25 points to see the obvious fact that it was extreme Leftist idealogy that drove Hitler's policies?

So, to you, Okie, study and research means reading an email from a right wing nut website.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 07:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, okie, if you don't mind, I rely more on history and historic facts than what you tell me.
Then why doesn't your opinions show it? I do not think you are intellectually honest about this subject, and I even wonder if you are still emotionally attached to what Hitler's politics could have accomplished? I am sorry if that might offend you, but I am personaally fed up wth Nazi /Fascist apologists trying to label Nazis and Fascistsas conservative onthe right. Too many people have perished at the hands of radical Leftists like Hitler to not speak up about it. One would think by now that an astute historian as you claim t be would recognize the hallmark principles of radical Left idealogies, such as "COMMON GOOD OVER INDIVIDUAL GOOD." All of the big Lefties used similar beliefs in their policies, always laced with class envy and accusations of greed. Study them, Walter and haVE THE COURAGE TO FACE THE TRUTH OF IT.
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 07:49 pm
@okie,
Quote:
I do not think you are intellectually honest about this subject,

Okie, you don't have the intellect necessary to be honest or dishonest. All you are doing is following a meme that you've heard from right wing nut cases.

Quote:
Too many people have perished at the hands of radical Leftists like Hitler to not speak up about it.

Count the number of people who have perished at the hands of US presidents. They have all been right wing or right wing nutters.

Quote:
One would think by now that an astute historian as you claim t be would recognize the hallmark principles of radical Left idealogies, such as "COMMON GOOD OVER INDIVIDUAL GOOD."

Typical simplistic Okie thinking or rather, typical Okie simplistic copying of another simplistic right winger's simplistic thinking.
0 Replies