The mistake in the title: land mind should be land mine Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,488 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:49 am
Someone on the staff of USA today is going to have a lot of explaining to do to his boss!

What gets me is that the mistake was in the headline, and not in the body of the article, where it might be overlooked!Laughing
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 02:44 pm
Land mind, huh? Wonder if they have ocean-going minds as well...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 02:56 pm
Not only because the mistake is in the headline, but the report is the first and most important news today of USATODAY (at least the report has to be there for several hours). That is why I particularly posted such a thread here. Smile
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 03:03 pm
Wy wrote:
Land mind, huh? Wonder if they have ocean-going minds as well...

And millions of readers on the planet would try hard to imagine what is their "Ocean-going Minds"... That is so interesting! Very Happy
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 01:40 am
Might they explode on contact with land minds???
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 01:46 am
Good catch, Oristar. It might interest you and the others here to know that mistakes in headings/headlines are often the hardest to catch. Why? Because we tend to glance at headings rather than read them. Professional proofreaders need to stop and force themselves to read each word.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 01:55 am
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 06:13 am
Regarding "then instead than", it is rampant on the net, esp. in native English speakers. I've encountered too many VIPs of the net made/making such a mistake. No doubt I've been callous to it. Very Happy
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 06:22 am
Wy wrote:
Might they explode on contact with land minds???

Alas, dear Lord gnome, they both didn't mean to touch the secret of your treasure hoards, please send their lives back. Thank you.
Amen!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 04:39 pm
ROFL!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:16 pm
What's with this Thyme magazine I see all over? It doesn't look like a culinary publication...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:06 pm
Hmm, then there's Hooper's Bizarre.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 02:37 am
I worked for the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. For three months running, the masthead on one of the journals said the American Institute of Aeronautics and Aerodynamics. No one caught it. It's not the kind of thing people usually read. That's when I learned that you have to read everything.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 03:06 am
Click the link again...they've fixed the headline, it seems
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:00 am
It doesn't matter now.

The headline in my thread was a real copy from the report.
0 Replies

grottomaster

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:19 am
I don't mind the typos so much. I make them all the time... BUT, I do get a little testy when the journalists put a slant on a story by using inappropriate terms. For example, an anchor on Fox News was commenting yesterday about, "Who is responsible for the MURDER of the U.S. Soldiers on the Chinook helicopter."
Is war murder just because it was our guys who got killed? If we kill Iraqi Guerillas, is it murder? From my view, the word "killing" would have been much more appropriate and correct because that's what happened. Even Rumsfeld said yesterday that this is what happens in war (he used the word "war"). I suppose it's alright to use "murder" if the program is of an opinion/editorial nature but this was supposed to be a straight news program. I have no love for the Iraqi subversive element but we are (supposedly) at war and short of a My Lai type event, I think it is dangerous and incorrect to begin using the word "murder" in reference to armed conflict between the two factions.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:56 am
The hyperbole used in even supposedly respectable news sources today disgusts me, but lets face it, it was worse in WWII. Vietnam was the first time that the real horror of war was brought to the public via television. Now it seems the importance of that has been forgotten. The war footage shown now just looks like a video game. A step backwards, IMO.
0 Replies