Is Greece going to set off the long feared next wave of the Great Recession?

spendius

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:04 pm
@Francis,
Quote:
Fernando Pessoa wrote:
Everything is worthwhile, if the soul isn't small.

What? Even when she makes you scrub the floor.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:25 pm
@Francis,
Quote:
Quote:
I am 48 YO, too old for the investment of time onto a new language to be worthwhile. But our kids should be and are starting to learn Mandarin.
Well, I don't mind learning new languages and I'm a bit older than you.
I have a deep suspicion that you are a natural linguist. However hawkeye you might want to consider learning a similar language ...an European one..it is good for holidays and helps the mind.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:49 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
I have a deep suspicion that you are a natural linguist. However hawkeye you might want to consider learning a similar language ...an European one..it is good for holidays and helps the mind.
I am American, and frankly I suck at languages. I lived in Germany 6 years and could only be bothered to learn enough German to get directions and order food/beer. I blame my wife, she is a linguist/interrogator for the US army speaking Hungarian, Russian, Serbo-Croatian and German...plus English of course. When I am about town I normally have her with me, and she is great at languages.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 03:27 am
Spendi wrote:
What? Even when she makes you scrub the floor.

Cheap shot, Spendi, but hey, I do that too, at times..
spendius

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 03:32 am
@Francis,
It was a quote from the poetic canon Francois.
Francis

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 03:35 am
@spendius,
I should have guessed it was Dylan related...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 06:46 am
Quote:
May 18, 2010: 8:24 AM ET

(Fortune) -- Greece must be feeling a little like Sisyphus these days. Saddled with mountains of debt and a 14% budget deficit, its path to recovery seems arduously steep, slippery and out of reach. But like Sisyphus, the king in Greek mythology who ends up getting to the summit only to see his cumbersome load slide back down again, Greece seems mired in problems even with a $145 billion bailout package.

Despite initial market giddiness over the bailout and displays of confidence from the IMF and Greek government officials that Greece, albeit bloodied, will manage the painful journey back to economic health just fine, fears that the country won't be able to push the boulder back up the hill are back with a vengeance.

The key concern: the measures Greece has been forced to impose are so severe and wildly unpopular that observers fret the government won't have the political will to see them through.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/17/news/international/greece_sovereign_default.fortune/index.htm?source=cnn_bin&hpt=Sbin

As I said Weeks ago......
Ionus

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 09:22 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Quote:
The key concern: the measures Greece has been forced to impose are so severe and wildly unpopular that observers fret the government won't have the political will to see them through.
As I said Weeks ago......
And a very real possibility with somewhat unpredictable consequences.
spendius

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 11:45 am
@Ionus,
Greece today is not the Greece in most people's minds. They are members of the EEC now. Which means more civilised. So their shifters and shunters will be getting better advice now from experienced experts in the management of social tensions. It is a recent development and there is a possibility that the advice will, however successful, still be considered insufficient if a few shop windows get broken and a couple of mock battles between the cops and the rioters are staged for the watching world.

All consequences are unpredictable Io. Otherwise no evolution.
roger

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 01:57 pm
@spendius,
Cop drenched in gasoline from a fire bomb last week. If that's a mock battle, I would hate to see them get mad.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 02:03 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Greece today is not the Greece in most people's minds. They are members of the EEC now.

The EEC existed between 1957 and 1993. (Greece joined in the 1980's, 81, if I remember correctly)
Ionus

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 05:48 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Cop drenched in gasoline from a fire bomb last week. If that's a mock battle, I would hate to see them get mad.
I have never understood why a few top ranking police are not allowed to shoot dead rioters who attack with petrol bombs. It is the one aspect of a good physical protest that I find appallingly violent but without a just response.
High Seas

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The German deputies who wanted the Greeks to sell the Acropolis, or at the very least a couple of islands, were right!
Quote:
As it turned out, what the Greeks wanted to do, once the lights went out and they were alone in the dark with a pile of borrowed money, was turn their government into a piñata stuffed with fantastic sums and give as many citizens as possible a whack at it...

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/features/2010/10/greeks-bearing-bonds-201010
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:32 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
I have never understood why a few top ranking police are not allowed to shoot dead rioters who attack with petrol bombs.

It is not our way Io. It is an obvious solution and, as such, will have been considered from time to time but rejected these days for a number of aesthetic and operational reasons. Raking the whole crowd with an indiscriminate hail of bullets and canon fire is not unknown.

What do you not understand about it? It is not for the likes of us to say what is or is not just.
High Seas

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:03 pm
@Ionus,
That clown and his "predictions" on public finances were so thoroughly discredited couple of pages back that you >
http://able2know.org/topic/144149-8#post-3983507
> may wish to consult another source on Greece's and the eurozone's fiscal troubles. Article I just linked is excellent starting point.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 05:29 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
It is not for the likes of us to say what is or is not just.
Then who ?
spendius

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:24 pm
@Ionus,
I don't know. From On High I guess. I can't imagine how one might derive the concept out of one's own unaided resources.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 02:45 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

The implied risk premium for insuring Irish bonds against default just rose above that of Greek and Portuguese bonds >
Quote:
....official rhetoric has turned once again to trying to persuade markets to ignore reality. Patrick Honohan, the governor of Ireland’s central bank, has labeled the interest rates on Irish government bonds “ridiculous” (meaning ridiculously high), and IMF researchers argue that default in Ireland and Greece is “unnecessary, undesirable, and unlikely.”

http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/johnson12/English
> but so far Ireland has been remarkably quiet. Linked article is a plan to issue "Brady-type" bonds for those three countries.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 02:47 pm
@High Seas,
well, what can I say, both georgeOB and Setanta self-describe themselves as "Irish". just saying.
roger

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 03:34 pm
@High Seas,
. . . researchers argue that default in Ireland and Greece is “unnecessary, undesirable, and unlikely.”

Wonder how much research went into the conclusion that a bond default was undesirable. They get paid for this?