Is Greece going to set off the long feared next wave of the Great Recession?

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 05:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
After watching Greece be abused under the logic that an example needs to be made of them least Italy and Spain get the idea that they are not going to have to pay up and dont need to do as they are told do the Italians and the Spaniards trust Brussels enough to vote for further integration??

Call me crazy, but I doubt it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 08:15 am
@hawkeye10,
You're entitled to your opinion. Certainly Europe (and just about every country or assemblage of them) faces a number of sometines unsolvable-looking contradictions. However time and life roll on.

The immigration Europe is seeing right now has been going on (albeit at a lower level) for some time. If they are able to work out the attendant social strains, this could be a solution for their demographic problem and the economic issues attendant to it. Certainly immigration has been the fuel for our own economic growth.

For all the criticism and second guessing they'ver been taking, the German government does indeed appear to be working hard to restore some badly needed economic discipline on the union. At what point does "stripping the dignity of the hapless Greeks" become "preserving the economic and monetary health of the Union" ?

Europe is a dense concentration of different languages, cultures and history. For all its visible defects the EU has done a pretty good job maintaining peace, stability and rconomic growth. If you doubt that, just consider the two previous 50 year periods.

You and I apparently generally agree on the extent and nature of the challenges facing the EU. You appear to see them as fatal. I accept them as serious issues, involving some risk, that must eventually be dealt with. At the same time I note that the evolving union has already successfully dealt with (or skirted) many other like issues, and hope for its continued success, recognizing that the alternatives to it are surely worse.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 10:22 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Europe is a dense concentration of different languages, cultures and history. For all its visible defects the EU has done a pretty good job maintaining peace, stability and rconomic growth. If you doubt that, just consider the two previous 50 year periods.
And since 1957 we've got the "Common Market" (aka EU) or seven since 1950, if you take the European Coal and Steel Community as the beginning to unite European countries economically and politically in order to secure lasting peace.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 02:18 pm
Quote:
Asked on whether the IMF would participate in a third bailout for the country, Lagarde said the Fund wanted to see a "complete" programme for Greece and listed what that should involve.

"This complete package has two legs, a Greek leg that entails an in-depth reform of the Greek economy. That means holding a budgetary position that is sound and gives the country solidity; and the second leg is that of the lenders, which entails supplying finacing and restructuring the debt to ease its
burden," she said.

Lagarde also reaffirmed her view that the country needed some form of debt relief, arguing that this did not have to be an outright write-off but could involve measures such as a significant extension of loan maturities, stretching of repayment schedules, and reducing interests charged.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/48109924.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

It only took 7 years for the IMF to get its job in the Greece problem right, but better late than never.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 05:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Peter Atwater on the World Policy Journal blog.

Quote:
“The end, for all intents and purposes, is here. Greece will exit the eurozone. Whether the departure is couched as temporary or not is irrelevant. Europe’s once irrevocable and irreversible currency union is now being undone by falling confidence.

The problem with [the July 11-12] Grexit message was that it yelled “fire” in a crowded theater. Much as the threat of bank closures triggers bank runs, the threat of a currency debasement foretells its collapse. When Greek banks reopen, citizens will rush for their money — not only because they are worried about the safety of the nation’s banks, but because they are frightened by the potential devaluation of their deposits. By their most recent actions, European policymakers turned what was already a bank run into a country run.”

http://blogs.barrons.com/emergingmarketsdaily/2015/07/17/greece-will-exit-the-eurozone/?mod=yahoobarrons&ru=yahoo&ref=yfp

Yep, those who blame only the Greeks for this mess are so delusional that it is not possible to take them seriously. And much more important still than the damage that has been done to Greece over the last 6 months is the damage that has been done to Europe, which was entirely self inflicted. The EU Bosses reckless vendetta against the democratically elected government of greece has shown everyone what they are about, that they can not be trusted to fix the enormous problems with in the EU. That being so the capital will vacate europe, and the value of the Euro will crash.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 06:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
That said, the lead creditor, Germany, has done Europe a service: By proposing the Greece exit the euro, it has broken a political taboo. For decades, politicians have peddled the common currency as a symbol of European unity, despite the flawed economics pointed out as far back as 1971 by the Cambridge professor Nicholas Kaldor. That changed on July 11, when European finance ministers agreed that it could be both sensible and practical for a member country to leave. "In case no agreement can be reached," they said, "Greece should be offered swift negotiations for a time-out."

Now that the idea of exit is in the air, though, it's worth thinking beyond the current political reality and considering who should go. Were Greece to leave, possibly followed by Portugal and Italy in the subsequent years, the countries' new currencies would fall sharply in value. This would leave them unable to pay debts in euros, triggering cascading defaults. Although the currency depreciation would eventually make them more competitive, the economic pain would be prolonged and would inevitably extend beyond their borders.

If, however, Germany left the euro area -- as influential people including Citadel founder Kenneth Griffin, University of Chicago economist Anil Kashyap and the investor George Soros have suggested -- there really would be no losers.

A German return to the deutsche mark would cause the value of the euro to fall immediately, giving countries in Europe's periphery a much-needed boost in competitiveness. Italy and Portugal have about the same gross domestic product today as when the euro was introduced, and the Greek economy, having briefly soared, is now in danger of falling below its starting point. A weaker euro would give them a chance to jump-start growth. If, as would be likely, the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria and Finland followed Germany's lead, perhaps to form a new currency bloc, the euro would depreciate even further.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-wp-blm-news-bc-germany-euro-comment17-20150717-story.html?ref=yfp

This idea has been floating around for several years, and as time goes on the arguments for Germany leaving get better. Them being bitter bossy assholes towards Greece adds another one, no one wants to see the Germans acting this way so soon after they gave us the NAZI's.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 08:37 pm
Debtors seem to get this notion that borrowed money somehow belongs to them and not the people who lent it to them. It's as though I lent someone my tool box with the clear understanding that I would pick it up in one week and when the week was up, not only did they not give it back, but they called me bad names for even asking them to live up to their promise.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 08:44 pm
@Brandon9000,
I agree with you for the most part, but the argument seems to be something like: the lender should have realized the borrower would cut his hand off if he was loaned a saw. And then loaned him the saw again knowing he'd cut off a foot, the other foot, the other hand and apparently now - his head.

I'm not sure what the best way to handle Greece would have been - but continuing to loan money (many times for 150+ years) to a country that seems to have no idea how to manage itself does seem odd.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 09:08 pm
@Brandon9000,
Lenders seem to get this notion that they are going to get all of their money back with high interest rates even after making stupid and/or predatory lending decisions.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 09:17 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
but continuing to loan money (many times for 150+ years) to a country that seems to have no idea how to manage itself does seem odd.

Jesus, I had no idea that you are such a pussy. The word is "wrong".
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 09:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Lenders seem to get this notion that they are going to get all of their money back with high interest rates even after making stupid and/or predatory lending decisions.

I thought the interest rate was 3.5%. That's high?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 10:59 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

I thought the interest rate was 3.5%. That's high?

Before the EU started buying all of greeces debt by way of "bailouts" greece debt interest rates were much higher than that, And all of those lenders got paid in full, which most certainly was wrong.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 11:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Maybe if they didn't need bailouts, they wouldn't be having these problems. Did the lenders wreck their finances in the first place?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 11:26 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Maybe if they didn't need bailouts, they wouldn't be having these problems. Did the lenders wreck their finances in the first place?

Based upon what we have seen over the last 6 months are you telling me that when WallStreet bankers showed up in Athens to sell their crapolla at vastly inflated rates there was a fair fight? Constent to contract requires understanding on the part of the buyer as well as honesty on the part of the seller.

Guess what! You lose this argument.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 12:01 am
@hawkeye10,
Yes, despite the fact that no other European country is so broke, Greece's economic problems are the fault of everyone except Greece. You are now demonstrating some of the psychology that put Greece in the condition it's in.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 02:11 am
@Brandon9000,
And after we watched what WallStreet did with credit default swaps and subprime mortgages no less.

Are you aware that bankers went out and gave loans to a lot of people who did not have enough income to pay them back, in some cases encouraged them to lie on the paperwork, and then when these often minority borrowers predictably defaulted they went and created fake paperwork for the courts to foreclose?

THis is the side you want to champion in the morality theater of Greek debt?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 02:37 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
One of the first lessons I was taught on Wall Street was, “Know who the fool is.” That was the gist of it. The more detailed description, yelled at me repeatedly was, “Know who the ******* idiot with the money is and cram as much toxic **** down their throat as they can take. But be nice to them first.”

When I joined in Salomon Brothers in ‘93, Japanese customers (mostly smaller banks and large industrial companies) were considered the fool. My first five years were spent constructing complex financial products, ones with huge profit margins for us—“toxic waste” in Wall Street lingo—to sell to them. By the turn of the century many of those customers had collapsed, partly from the toxic waste we sold them, partly from all the other crazy things they were buying.

The launch of the common European currency, the euro, ushered in a period of European financial confidence, and we on Wall Street started to take advantage of another willing fool: European banks. More precisely northern European banks.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/07/greece-crisis-banks-greedy/398603/
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 10:00 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
And after we watched what WallStreet did with credit default swaps and subprime mortgages no less.

Are you aware that bankers went out and gave loans to a lot of people who did not have enough income to pay them back, in some cases encouraged them to lie on the paperwork, and then when these often minority borrowers predictably defaulted they went and created fake paperwork for the courts to foreclose?

THis is the side you want to champion in the morality theater of Greek debt?

I want to champion sub-prime lenders? Yes, the EU is very mean for trying to bail them out in the past. For years, Greece spent much, much, much more money than they actually had. When past presidents saw what was coming and tried to cut programs, they had violent demonstrations, they were given immense loans which they frittered away, they had preposterously generous policies (e.g. retirement age) which they couldn't pay for, government corruption and tax evasion are endemic, a government was elected which made the ridiculous promise of recovery without austerity, they have negotiated with the EU by means of childish publicity stunts, and now they maintain that the fact they are more broke than any other European power is the fault of everyone except themselves. They really need to grow up and start behaving like adults. Other countries have problems, but no other European power has spent itself into complete collapse like this.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 12:34 pm
@Brandon9000,
You believe in taking the belt to misbehaving kids, dont you.....

The time to be giving the greeks lessons in economics and responsibility was way back when they were loading up on debt. But where were the Europeans? Where was the IMF? Where was the USA?

Making no effort to teach the kids then whipping them when they get into trouble is cruel. Telling them how much they suck as you whip them after you have abdicated your duties to try to teach them makes it worse.

The Greeks are to blame for what went wrong here, but so are a whole lot of other people, people who insist that they are a lot smarter than the greeks, in many cases people who have taken it upon themselves to punish and humiliate the greeks.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 01:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
The particular terms offered to them may not be the right ones, but even the right deal would have involved considerable austerity. If I went $50,000 in debt, I would have to be very frugal for a long time to recover. That's just common sense. Also, people should repay what they borrow, if they want to be treated like adults.