Is Greece going to set off the long feared next wave of the Great Recession?

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 11:44 pm
Quote:
Greece's debt crisis could spread across Europe

By Neil Irwin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 7, 2010

MADRID -- A third straight day of decline in world financial markets on Thursday was vivid evidence of a scary proposition: That the fiscal crisis that began in Greece months ago is spreading across Europe like a virus, causing growing doubt even about the fates of nations with far more manageable levels of government debt.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/06/AR2010050604401.html?hpid=topnews

For those keeping score I raised this issue on April 22, when pretty much no one else was talking about it.

So much for HighSea's assertion that I am "ill-informed and spreading misinformation".
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 11:50 pm
And again

Quote:
Back when the global financial crisis began in earnest in 2008, Europeans were quick to blame it all on Americans who lent unwisely and borrowed excessively. So it is more than a bit ironic that, having long denied its own forays into unwise lending and excessive borrowing, it is Europe that seems to be leading the global economy into the second phase of the crisis.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/06/AR2010050606375.html?hpid=topnews

What was that you said High Seas?? Care to make a retraction before you embarrass yourself further?
High Seas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 01:19 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Greece's debt crisis..........
For those keeping score I raised this issue on April 22, when pretty much no one else was talking about it.
So much for HighSea's assertion that I am "ill-informed and spreading misinformation".

You're really so stupid as to believe that because YOU hadn't "raised the issue" prior to April 22, nobody else had EITHER?! This would be simply laughable if another worldwide financial collapse weren't at stake - but as it is, try reading headlines from the past several months:
Quote:

January 3: "More details anticipated on Greek bail-out" [EUobserver]
January 28: "Greece denies a bail-out is needed" [BBC]
February 11: "Europe Commits to Action on Greek Debt" [NYT]
February 15: "Opposition Grows in Germany to Bailout for Greece" [NYT]
February 28: "European Union Moves Toward a Bailout of Greece" [NYT]
March 15: "Finance ministers to discuss Greek bail-out options" [EUobserver]
March 25: "Europeans Reach Deal on Rescue Plan for Greece" [NYT]
April 15: "Greece seeks meeting to clarify bail-out deal" [EUobserver]
April 19: "Greek bailout talks on hold as the volcanic debris delays flights" [The Guardian]
April 21: "Leaders Start to Formulate Details of Greek Aid Program" [NYT]
April 22: "Merkel continues 'go-slow' rhetoric on Greece [EUobserver]
April 23: "Greece formally requests EU-IMF aid" [EUobserver]
April 26: "Greece's international rescue deal takes shape" [BBC]
April 28: "Greek debt crisis: Euro leaders call emergency summit to avert meltdown" [The Guardian]
April 29: "Europe Acts Swiftly on Long-Delayed Greek Bailout" [NYT]
And, my favorite, today: "Greece is Said to Be Close to Deal on a Rescue Plan" [NYT]

http://bigthink.com/ideas/19895
High Seas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 01:24 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

And again....[...]
What was that you said High Seas?? Care to make a retraction....

Read the headlines just listed, with dates, you dimwit - if you can read, which is in doubt at this point.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:16 am
@High Seas,
Interesting argument. Your point on moral hazard is well taken. In this case, however, the Europeans have only the illusion of insurance and not the fact of it.

While collective resources are sufficient to resolve the Greek crisis, the prospect of a Greek bailout with still uncertain outcome, and the possibility of more to follow in Portugal and perhaps Spain, has already strained the resolve of European national governments to act together. Prevailing high deficit levels and already high taxes leave most governments with little flexibility without severe measures that would threaten their political survival. The political consequences for the EU are likely to be great and long-lasting. The deliberate ambiguity surrounding the relative roles of EU structures and national governments has so far served the European Union very well. Though it is difficult to predict which way things will go in the coming years, Europe's ability to tolerate this, so far beneficial, ambiguity is likely to be the first casualty of the current crisis.
spendius

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 01:28 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
This would be simply laughable if another worldwide financial collapse weren't at stake

What's laughable is us lot thinking we know anything about worldwide financial collapses that those who are elected to manage things don't.

We've just voted parliamentary paralysis because the three contenders were promising to cut the deficit which they have now forgotten about as they jockey for power.

Where can you find politicians who are interested in anything but power? The process by which we choose them is such that anybody interested in anything else, such as principles or ideas, has no chance of getting past the envelope licking stage. Not an earthly. It's Darwinianism in action.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 01:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Though it is difficult to predict which way things will go in the coming years, Europe's ability to tolerate this, so far beneficial, ambiguity is likely to be the first casualty of the current crisis.

Europe has to start with truth telling...admitting that Greece is in default. It will then need to help Greece negotiate a way out, and probably most of the rest of the PIGS too. Then it will need to either abandon the Euro or else dig in deeper by doing away with the national central banks and creating and EU Central bank..in effect making the nations of the EU into European states.
spendius

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 02:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Why tell us that hawk? We can't do anything about it. Pee-emming the European Commission would make more sense. Or all the heads of governments.

I showed your analysis to a student of the markets and he said you should be running things and added, as a rider, that you are a ******* genius.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 02:51 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I showed your analysis to a student of the markets and he said you should be running things and added, as a rider, that you are a ******* genius.
I am not an expert, but I listen to many, and prioritize in order of those who make the most sense. All of the ideas that I have presented on Greece come from others.
spendius

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 03:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well they should be running things.

I'm afraid that I find that way of talking about Europe, or "it", totally absurd. The current valuation of the houses in the UK is about £4,000,000,ooo,000.

Other buildings must be at least that. The London Stock market is trading at £2,560,098, ooo,000. UK bank deposits are a lot. And there's loads of other stuff. Paintings, jewels, cars, animals, plant, furniture--the mind boggles.

What it is for all of Europe I shudder to think.

spendius

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 05:26 pm
@spendius,
I bet that if you took all the basques, corsets, knickers, sheer nylon stockings, high heel shoes, lipsticks, wrinkle creams, pantie girdles, suspender belts, bath salts, hair dyes, shampoos, ear-rings, fragrances, hems going up and down, catwalks, eyeliners, poodle trims, curlers, tattoos, pedicures, sun beds, tights, flower arrangements, golf clubs, exercise machines, soft furnishings, (that's enough of that spendi--Ed.) in Europe and added them all up at wholesale prices it would make the Greek debts look like loose change.

I myself, and I only booze moderately these days, spend about £2,500 a year on beer and it's made out of river water and a few hops and must be at least 95% tax. And £150 billion divided by 700 million Europeans is only £200 each and that's only a hour of a fairly posh whore's time.
spendius

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 05:36 pm
@spendius,
An Alpha male here calculated after his divorce settlement had been decided by a senior member of the judiciary that every shag had cost him £47, ooo.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 03:03 am
@spendius,
Quote:
only £200 each and that's only a hour of a fairly posh whore's time.
Well I want to do my bit to help.....what can I get for A$26. 55 ???
spendius

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 04:19 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
what can I get for A$26. 55 ???

A withering stare I should imagine. Possibly accompanied by some malevolent invective.
roger

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 04:20 am
@spendius,
It'd get 'cha a pinch on the cheek around here.
High Seas

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 04:48 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

...... your babbling about the EU is so out of context that it would be an insurmountable to educate you.

You were right - it is insurmountable. He not only posts hopeless disinformation, but he now advocates the creation of a...... European Central Bank. The existence of the European Central bank, in Frankfurt, for well over a decade has obviously escaped that "hawk's" eyesight Smile Smile Smile
http://www.ecb.int/ecb/shared/img/6_big.jpg
http://www.ecb.int/ecb/html/ecb.en.html
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 05:01 am
@roger,
There are several econometric studies of the demand / supply curves for prostitution - a genuinely free market. Here's a link to one:
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0060889578/#reader_0060889578
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 05:10 am
@georgeob1,
The "father of the euro" agrees with your analysis:
Quote:
Last Friday, as leaders in Europe squared off over a high-stakes bailout for Greece, Robert Mundell, the Canadian-born economist widely regarded as the father of the euro, was in Bulgaria attending the world chess championship. It’s been more than 40 years since Mundell laid out his vision for a common European currency, work that earned him a Nobel prize in 1999. And after making the ceremonial first move of the match"akin to tossing out the first pitch in baseball"Bulgarian reporters asked the 77-year-old Columbia University professor to sum up the Greek drama in chess terms. Was Greece in check, or checkmate? In other words, does the country have any hope left, or is it game over? “I would rather describe the current situation as zugzwang,” Mundell reportedly replied, using the German term to describe the moment when a player is forced to make a move even when it’s going to be harmful.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/05/07/europe-gets-greeced/
georgeob1

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:38 pm
@High Seas,
I assume the player faced with "zugzwang" in this case is the EU. Frankly, I fear they have made the wrong choice by bailing out Greece, making the eventual bailout of other, larger EU nations more likely. All this is tracable to their failure to enforce the now defunct stability and growth pact. Given the fundamental contradiction present in a multinational union of distinct and independent fiscal entities all sharing a single currency and central bank, the pact was an objective necessity to limit such excursions as have occurred. The EU has likely evaded the immediate crisis, but, by adding moral hazard, has increased the risk of a far worse subsequent one.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 03:14 pm
@georgeob1,
Not all EU-countries are EURO countries - currently in use in 16 of the 27 Member States. But it's also the only national currency in five non-EU-countries plus in four countries, where it is the 'official-unofficial' national currency.

http://i43.tinypic.com/vhdjed.jpg

From wiki:

Quote:
Outside the eurozone, a total of 23 countries and territories that do not belong to the EU have currencies that are directly pegged to the euro including 14 countries in mainland Africa (CFA franc and Moroccan dirham), two African island countries (Comorian franc and Cape Verdean escudo), three French Pacific territories (CFP franc) and another Balkan country, Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina convertible mark). On 28 July 2009, São Tomé and Príncipe signed an agreement with Portugal which will eventually tie its currency to the euro.[34]
With the exception of Bosnia and Herzegovina (which pegged their currency against the German mark) and Cape Verde (formerly pegged to the Portuguese escudo) all of these non-EU countries had a currency peg to the French Franc before pegging their currencies to the euro. Pegging a country's currency to a major currency is regarded as a safety measure, especially for currencies of areas with weak economies, as the euro is seen as a stable currency, prevents runaway inflation and encourages foreign investment due to its stability.
Within the EU several currencies have a peg to the euro, in most instances as a precondition to joining the eurozone. The Bulgarian Lev and the Estonian kroon were formerly pegged to the German mark, other EU memberstates have a direct peg due to ERM II: the Danish krone, the Lithuanian litas and the Latvian lats.
In total, over 150 million people in Africa use a currency pegged to the euro, 25 million people outside the eurozone in Europe and another 500,000 people on Pacific islands.