Walking Journal and Walking Stories

plainoldme

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 05:55 pm
@msolga,
I had no choice. If I didn't walk, I would have lost my job. I hope to walk more soon. Life is a little busy this week.
msolga

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 06:01 pm
@plainoldme,
Yes, I realized that, POM.
And I was wishing you some walking for pleasure, for a nice change! Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 06:12 pm
@msolga,
Today I walked northbound up the Hudson River from work (W17th and 7th to about W77 and Columbus Ave. then back south to E60th and 5th Ave.)

I'm uploading the photographs to Flickr now. Roberta would appreciate the geese and ducks and pigeons.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 06:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Here they are....
Fresh from the Flickr grill:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32864333@N03/sets/72157623959457328/show/
msolga

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 06:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Fantastic, tsar.
I really enjoyed that!
Once again (as on the "whales" thread), water! Surprised Did you go out of your "normal" way to pass the wharf? (Loved the almost b&w old structures on the water.)
And again, love those old residential (I think) buildings! More, please!

What a walk! How many kilometers, roughly? (looks like quite a distance was covered to me!)
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 07:01 pm
@msolga,
I decided to walk (on a whim) on the public walkway that followed the curves of the wharf/piers and that added to the length of the walk that couldn't exactly be measured in terms of city blocks.

Not including the walk from the Shake Shack where I ate dinner of a Shack Stack (Cheeseburger plus cheese stuffed portobello mushroom), fries, and orange creamsicle float back to E59th St. and 5th Ave.... according to Google it was about 4.9 miles or 7.88 km.
The approximate route, not including the pier related walkways which only add to the total.
http://i43.tinypic.com/142tvns.jpg
msolga

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 07:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks for the map, tsar.
That helped me get my bearings a bit! Smile
Quote:
according to Google it was about 4.9 miles or 7.88 km.

Pretty diverse & action-packed (almost) 8km!
Lucky you.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 07:29 pm
Mrs Hinge and I are off to Europe tomorrow where we will be doing a 10 day inn to inn walk in Dordogne http://www.sherpa-walking-holidays.co.uk/tours/inntoinn/jdd10dos.asp

In 2006 we did the last 350km of the Camino De Santiago from Leon to Santiago, then in 2008 we did 6 days walking in Cinque Terra and 6 days walking in Tuscany inn to inn again.

This time we've been particularly slack in preparation but we did do the the Lake Morris to Crystal Cascades and back up again walk two weeks ago http://www.footloosebooks.com.au/crystal_cascades.pdf

It took nearly a week to shake off the DOMS!

Fortunately this time the walk is midway through our two month break so we're planning a lot of walking on our week at Lake Lugano, and taking turns walking next to the boat during our two week float down the Canal Du Midi - and hopefully we'll be up to the Dordogne by then.

I really like that sort of walking when travelling to other countries, things don't whistle past you as blurs behind plexiglass.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 07:39 pm
@hingehead,
If you could oblige us and keep us in mind could you keep us up to date or show us a slide show after your return?
Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 07:43 pm
@hingehead,
What, hinge! Surprised
You've just returned here & now you're off again!
Damn.

But do I envy you & the Mrs this fantastic holiday. I am SO jealous!
Enjoy, have a terrific time walking & taking in the sights. Great time of year in the northern hemisphere for it! Smile

Can we anticipate some pictorial records of your walks on your return? Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 09:26 pm
I am loving these walk photos!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 10:38 pm
@djjd62,
That walk looks good for the soul Deej.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 08:35 am
@hingehead,
I am green with envy! Wishing you and Mrs. H wonderful weather and freedom from blisters.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 03:46 pm
Hinge...

Sounds fantastic! Ambitious, too.

Have fun and bring back reports!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 03:37 am
Saturday night, 6:15 pm

Just got home after a major walk! Top speed, there & back!

This was a much later walk than usual, because I’d dilly-dallied around home .... cleaning up, making a (slow cooked) curry for a friend’s visit tonight, and also I'd indulged in too much A2King ... This meant that I left for the video shop in East Brunswick at 3:40 pm. (That’s where I go for my movies now, since my brilliant local place -4 minutes walk away- closed down <sob> & was replaced by a damned fast food outlet! But that’s another story ....) Usually I drive there, but today being such a gorgeous day (Indian summer!) I decided to walk, even though it was pretty late in the piece.

Anyway, this meant I had to walk pretty fast, to get back home in enough time & before it got dark. Instead of the main roads, I took a zig-zagging course, through all the little residential streets I really love around these parts. I love to check out people’s gardens as I go, say hello to the odd sleeping cat catching the sun’s rays, see the place in a totally different way than taking the main (car) route.

It was an absolutely wonderful late autumn afternoon. Everyone seemed to be taking advantage of the unseasonal warm weather. People getting in a bit of late afternoon gardening, people out walking like me, & the dog walkers were out in droves! I don’t know how many dogs I stopped to say “hello” to & pat. I was starting to feel like a professional dog patter! Smile One man (who apologized profusely for blocking the narrow footpath) was walking FOUR dogs at once! Then I came across a woman (with her own dog on a leash) who asked me hopefully, (about the dog in her arms) “Does this dog belong to you?” Ah, poor lost doggie! Sad

But onward to the video ship. I made it there in 55 minutes. Wow, was that speedy, or what? Made four quick choices (I’ll tell you about them if you’re interested, tsar) & then headed back north along Lygon Street at top speed. Wondering if I was going to make the distance back without flagging. This was really pushing things!

Lygon Street, in East Brunswick was very close to where I used to live, for close to 20 years. I loved it there. That bit of Lygon Street used to look rather like a sleepy village centre, but now! : Huge apartment blocks all over the place! Talk about inappropriate development! But anyway, onward quickly, as the sun was sinking fast in the west, sending long shadows across the little Victorian residential streets.

I made it back to my bit of Sydney Road just as the night street lights were coming on. It was almost (but not quite) dark, when I entered the home stretch. Incredibly good timing on my part, I must say!

I caught a glimpse of myself in the passage mirror as entered my house. Wildly disheveled wind blown hair, pink cheeks & a look of contentment on my face. Then I discovered the phone message ... C couldn’t make it for dinner tonight because of a huge drama with her daughter & she had to drive up to the country. (Why did I forget to take my mobile phone with me? Another message there, too.) Oh well, so now I have a huge slow cooker full of chicken, pumpkin & lentil curry. Anyone hungry?

But I must say, though, that was a terrific walk! I think I'll sleep very soundly tonight.Very Happy
jespah

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:28 am
@msolga,
Today: 5K - benefit for Architecture for Humanity. Should be a huge crowd. More to follow later.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:47 am
@tsarstepan,
Well done, I just stumbled onto this thread. Your pictures captured several of my favorite places, the HighLine, the Frying Pan, what I call the last of the West Side Docks and that great staircase around 77th Street (I don't run up it, I go a bit further and up the inclined path. )

Really enjoyed the tour.
Joe(when are Frank and I going to take you to the Pan?)Nation
littlek

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 09:37 am
@msolga,
Great descriptive writing - felt like I was there with you. Wish I was given all the dogs you saw!
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 10:10 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Saturday night, 6:15 pm

Just got home after a major walk! Top speed, there & back!

Bravissimo!!

Quote:
But that’s another story ....) Usually I drive there, but today being such a gorgeous day (Indian summer!)

<<cough>> <<cough>> What do you down-unders know about Indian Summer?! Razz
Quote:
Word Origin & History

Indian summer
"spell of warm weather after the first frost," first recorded 1778, Amer.Eng., perhaps so called because it was first noted in regions inhabited by Indians, or because the Indians first described it to the Europeans. No evidence connects it with the color of fall leaves or a season of Indian attacks on settlements. It is the Amer.Eng. version of British All-Hallows summer, Fr. été de la Saint-Martin (feast day Nov. 11), etc. Also colloquial was St. Luke's summer (or little summer), period of warm weather occurring about St. Luke's day (Oct. 18).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/indian+summer
Shouldn't that be an aboriginal summer? Wink

Quote:
Then I came across a woman (with her own dog on a leash) who asked me hopefully, (about the dog in her arms) “Does this dog belong to you?” Ah, poor lost doggie! Sad

Was it a cute, well behaved dog? Umm that's my dog. I wonder where he/she went.... Wink

Quote:
But onward to the video ship. I made it there in 55 minutes. Wow, was that speedy, or what? Made four quick choices

(I’ll tell you about them if you’re interested, tsar)

Of course silly!! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I caught a glimpse of myself in the passage mirror as entered my house. Wildly disheveled wind blown hair, pink cheeks & a look of contentment on my face.

You reached walking nirvana!

Quote:

Anyone hungry?

When should I drop by?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 10:13 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Well done, I just stumbled onto this thread. Your pictures captured several of my favorite places, the HighLine, the Frying Pan, what I call the last of the West Side Docks and that great staircase around 77th Street (I don't run up it, I go a bit further and up the inclined path. )

Really enjoyed the tour.
Joe(when are Frank and I going to take you to the Pan?)Nation

Just name the day and time! Very Happy