Walking Journal and Walking Stories

margo

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 09:18 pm
aidan

It surely looks lovely - but Australians really have trouble coping with crappy weather.

From a land mostly stricken by drought, the driest continent in the world, (not counting Antarctica) - we really hate the grey weather, regular rain, and lack of sunshine.

I had one fine day in my last trip of 3 weeks - in September/October last year - at least I was in picturesque Cornwall for it. The only day my photos looked at least one step above miserable!
patiodog

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 10:27 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Hey P dog, can you overdose a sheep on Ivermectin drench? I was worming and shot maybe 55 cc down the ewes throat. Accident.

Can't find any reports in a quick search of the boards. One report of ivermectin overdose in a sheep to the national folks in 2005-06 in sheep -- dose given not specified and animal reportedly showed no clinical signs.

Handbook shows that at 4 mg/kg, sheep showed neurologic signs but otherwise were unharmed. If you're using the 0.08% drench, sheep got 440 mg, so unless it's a giant sheep I'd say that would put you into the ataxia and neurologic signs range.

Course, this was hours ago, so you'd probably know by now. I know even less about small ruminants than I do about cows, though, so I'd have to say to call your vet if the critter ain't acting right.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 10:28 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Got some walking stories of your own you could tell us, patiodog?
Perhaps dog walking stories?

Hmmm. Had a great stroll through coastal redwoods in California a few weeks back. No pix, tho, and plumb tuckered at the moment.
aidan

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 10:52 pm
@farmerman,
I wouldn't make any assumptions. When I told people I was going to Birmingham to a concert, they were like, 'Birmingham? Why'd you want to go to Birmingham?!' and I said, 'Because Greg Allman is playing there and he's among my top five favorite male vocalists of all time.' And they were all, 'Birmingham is a shite city - wait til he plays somewhere else..' and these were English people.

Well, I loved downtown Birmingham. It's got this canal running through it. If there'd been mariachi players strolling around playing and it'd been thirty degrees hotter, I could have imagined I was in San Antonio - lovely. And a friend of mine went to university in Liverpool and she assures me it's wonderful. Haven't been there yet.

I compare England and New Jersey because every time I talk to my mother (which is at least once a week) she asks me why I can't come back to live in New Jersey. I ask myself that all the time too - seeing's how I miss my mom so much. But looking out my window and walking down the road give me my answer every day. Rain or no rain.
ps = it's supposed to rain today - but I see blue sky out there...might be another sunny one - hurray!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 10:53 pm
@patiodog,
See what happens, patiodog?
You post a couple of times on a thread & people want your advice, your walking stories .... Wink

No pressure at all about posting, OK?
But, sometime later on, when you have the time & inclination, your walking accounts would be good to see.
I always enjoy your posts. Smile
You don't have to post photographs.
I don't.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 11:16 pm
@margo,
Quote:
From a land mostly stricken by drought, the driest continent in the world, (not counting Antarctica) - we really hate the grey weather, regular rain, and lack of sunshine.

Yeah - and then there was this English guy yesterday who was saying to me, 'So you love our green and pleasant land, do you?' I told him I did. And he asks, 'Better than your own dry and dusty one?' and I'm like, 'Where do you think I'm from - the Sudan or something?'
And he says, 'No, the United States...it's a dry and dusty land...' and I'm sincerely confused and I say, 'Huh? No it's not - as a whole. Yeah there are dry and dusty spots, but overall I'd never describe the United States as dry and dusty.'
And he says, 'The entire south is dry and dusty...' and I'm like 'WHAT?!' sincerely confused. I ask him where he's travelled in the US and he says, 'The south...Arizona....'
I just started laughing. He thinks the entire United States is like the Grand Canyon. Then he mentioned Texas - I told him to look up images of east Texas on google. The hills are as rolling and green and the trees as big and shady there as they are here in England.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 12:51 am
Had a walk in the redwoods a bit ago. I was out in California for the first time in a couple of years, and had some time to check out old haunts and explore some spots I might consider working in but didn't know very well.

Flew in on Friday night, to San Francisco. Picked up a rental car and drove down through the East Bay and then over the pass near La Honda to pick up the coast highway north of Santa Cruz. There was high fog on the coast, but it cleared up on the approach to Santa Cruz, which faces south and is shielded to the fogs from the west by a series of high bluffs out to the west of town. It's the sunniest spot on that otherwise foggy coast.

The smell of ocean air and the eucalyptus groves and lettuce farms on the way in was invigorating, and when I woke up Saturday in my fleabag motel, I headed back out past Western Drive to the wild coast.

At Wilder State Park there is a short trail -- only about a mile -- that runs out and along the bluffs, which shelter beaches that are protected geographically and statutorily from human impact. I parked at a pullout on the highway and walked up the drive into the park, which was mostly empty that early in the morning.

There's an organic farm at Wilder Ranch that you pass on the way out to the ocean. They're growing lettuce, asparagus, artichokes -- typical fare of the farms on that part of the coast. Enough all together to have a big table at the farmer's market, not much more.

At the southern edge of the farm is a horse stable and several corrals, which the park service stock and maintain.

Past the farm, the trail crosses some railroad tracks, then heads out along the crumbling sandstone and low scrub of the southernmost bluff. The first beach is down to the left, and it's a big one. Gulls and what look like cormorants are on the sand below contemplating the surf. The latter may be nesting there.

Heading out to the right and northward, you walk along a high bluff where you can look straight down at the waves pounding the cliff -- great big rolling waves from across the Pacific, ending their thousands of miles of travel in explosions of water, one after the other, with their own breathing rhythm. The ones that reach the cliff at their apex send spray up over the top of the cliff, where the wind blows it over the rock and it settles in little brackish pools.

Heading north, the trail contours around an inlet where the rock is less stable than elsewhere and is falling down to the ocean. A group of hunting pelicans -- six of them, I think, come wheeling in along the opposite end of the inlet, and just as they reach me they catch an updraft of air and float upward, wings training the air, at about head level. We eye each other in this dynamic stillness for a few seconds, then they duck back down and out to sea for another round.

About a hundred yards further down the trail, there is a smaller path that runs down to a sheltered cove. There is sand here, but only in a grotto at the top of the beach is it high enough to escape the tide. Water trickles out from the grotto, an underground stream finding its way to the ocean. Along the rock face just outside the grotto there is a whir of activity: the whole cliff is spackled with mud daub nests, and what I take to be swallows are rushing in and out, some of them flying away when they see me, some of them sitting tight. They look to be busy, and I take it that breeding season is in full swing.

There's another group of birds making noise at the back of the grotto, but I can't quite make them out and none of them are coming into the light. I wonder if they are nocturnal.

After a little while watching the birds and poking around in the driftwood, I clamber back up to the trail and bluffs, and follow it's loop back to the other side of the farm.

It was a pleasant enough stroll, but it's not the serious walk I'm looking for. I go back out to the car, eat an orange, and head back out to Santa Cruz, and on to Aptos and the Forest of Nisene Marks...
msolga

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 01:17 am
@patiodog,
Absolutely beautiful descriptive writing, patiodog.
I felt as though I was right there, following in your footsteps.
That was a great walk. I really enjoyed being there.
I can't wait for a description of one of your really "serious" walks!
(You mean it actually gets better than this?!)
patiodog

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 01:23 am
@msolga,
Yeah, so then there was the walk in the woods. The Forest of Nisene Marks (name may be slightly different than that, but not much) sits just above Aptos, a sprawl of a town in the foothills south of Santa Cruz. Nisene was a Norwegian farmer woman or some such, and apparently owned all the land at least up to the ridge some time ago. The land is typical second-growth forest for the region. Redwoods dominate in the fog zone, which blends quickly to a mixture of Douglas fir, brush, manzanita, and maybe the occasional madrone as you move uphill. It's now a park, with 30 or 40 miles of hiking trails all told. Mountain bikes are allowed on the main road, and occasionally trespass onto the foot paths and cause a lot of erosion, especially as the trail bends to follow the countours of the ravines.

I went in not knowing what to expect. When I lived in the area, I always hiked the ravines right around Santa Cruz or went north toward Pescadero and Half Moon Bay or all the way south to Big Sur. The map at the entrance was enticing: two marked waterfalls, and a couple of different points on the ridge that could be accessed by an interlacing web of trails.

Down in the redwoods, it's like walking through a fairy tale. Ground cover is low and green, and in a lot of areas is kept at bay by a mixture of dead fall from the trees and thick carpets of needles. In the flats -- areas of rock filled in by relatively nutrient rich sediment -- ferns abound. There were a couple of hours at first of just walking through the redwoods, threading slowly up a canyon to the west of the main road. Most fords were bridged, so the usual hassle/excitement of crossing swollen streams on down trees and algae-slick rocks was largely absent for most of the ascent. I leap-frogged with a couple of older guys down from San Francisco as they went up slow and steady, and I kept following side paths to explore the ravine, laying down on a beach towel for lunch and a chapter under a cathedral, or fairy ring -- a circle of redwoods that have all grown up from the outlying roots of an older tree that's come down. The effect in these rings is indeed very cathedral like -- the light filters down through the branches of the circle of trees with a regular geometry you don't usually encounter in other types of forest. The effect is especially dramatic around midday, when the sun comes in from a high angle. In morning and evening the forest is largely cast into shadow, and the light takes on a bit of the reddish-brown hue of the bark and the needles on the forest floor.

Ascending to the ridge, with its dense scrabble of trees and brush, is somewhat anticlimactic after the majestic open spaces of the redwood forest, and after a brief pause to look down over the tree tops, it's back down into shadows. This move is hastened by the exuberant growth of poison oak near the ridgeline, and I realize that one of the blessings of the redwood is that some combination of its shade and its acidification of the soil is anathema to the damned leaves-of-three.

At a fork in the trail, by a crossing of the main stream, I run into the guys from San Francisco, finally taking a break. We joke about the apocalypse -- this was supposed to be Judgment Day, according to those nut jobs who'd grabbed the spotlight with their comical prophesy -- and I asked if they thought the side trail up to the waterfall was worth seeing. The younger of the two said he'd been up there a couple of years before, and, hey, why don't we all head up that way.

It was a big winter for storms in California, and the creekside trail was regularly broken by mudslides and freshly fallen trees. It's always interesting to see a redwood that's just come down. The hiker gets a glimpse of the entirely separate community that's living up in the canopy, where branches collect humus and become home to a host of plants and critters. Course, they're still a pain in the ass as you're crawling in the mud under a big trunk, or clambering over it, or scrambling up and then down a steep hill of loose sandstone and mud to get around it. The last hundred yards or so the ravine narrowed and was solidly choked with detritus, and were about ready to give up and turn around when we came into a bowl carved into the mountain. A modest waterfall tumbled into it from about 30 feet up. A mudslide had filled in most of the bowl to the left, and a young trunk had come down against the cliff, it's top resting against the waterfall itself. The shallow pool formed by the fall was about as broad as a suburban swimming pool, and had a sandy bottom in spite of all the mud around. The cliff itself might have been limestone, but my memory of the place and of geology aren't strong enough to say for sure.

I stayed at the falls for a while after the guys left, reading and mulling, and noticed the light was starting to get lower when a young couple showed up, so I left them to it and started back down the mountain. I'd come quite a ways by this point, and from the Xeroxed, hand-drawn map I reckoned it was probably six or seven miles back down, so I headed on my way.

More of the redwood stuff.

As evening started to draw in, I came into a broader valley that had been more developed back in the logging days than the rest of the forest. What had been a house was now a clearing marked by a plaque with a picture of a formal dining room that looked to have been taken in the early part of the 20th century. The trail now followed the old logging railroad, but the rails and ties had been removed and the only material evidence of it was the occasional half-buried steel cable (from switches, perhaps, or structural anchors to keep the rails from slipping downhill in the winter rains?). The slopes were gentler and the ferns more robust here than elsewhere.

At one point, the trail curved between two large trees and on the other side, its high-contrast non-coloring popping out of the greens and reds and browns of the forest like a neon sign, a skunk was going about its business, foraging for insects in the soft dirt of the trail.

I really don't want to get back into the little rental car covered in skunk spray, so I shout hello from about 20 yards, figuring she (for sake of a pronoun) will startle and head back into the forest.

She doesn't respond. Her utter lack of concern at my presence might be due to habituation to people, or she might simply be secure in the knowledge that no one in his right mind fucks with a skunk. Certainly the coloring, in this environment, was the opposite of camouflage. I tried tossing a stick in her direction. Still no response, so I copped a squat on a log and watched her go about her business. It was a few minutes before her foraging took her far enough off the trail that I felt comfortable walking by. She did deign to look up at me once, but gave no sign at all of apprehension.

The rest of the walk was uneventful. The trail, already pretty luxurious, humped up onto the gravel road, and I joined the flow of the dozen or so other people coming off the mountain from other trails. There was a generally meditative feeling among the walkers, though occasionally the shouts of mountain bikers reverberated through the trees.

By the time I reached my car, tucked in over sinuous roots at the bend of a switchback, I was ready to get out of my shoes and socks, grab a beer, and watch the sky go quiet over Seabright Beach.
msolga

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:20 am
@patiodog,
That sounded like a fantastic walk, patiodog!
I loved all the details in your post .. the redwoods, the creeks & even the skunk which visited your car. Cheeky devil. Smile
I was interested in seeing photographs of the area & "Googled Nisene Marks & walking paths". There were so many walkers & cyclists who raved about the area, but very few photographs. Apparently it's always too wet to take photographs ... writer after writer said so!
Finally found this site, where this walker (below) talked about his visit there.. With photographs. Hooray, at last!
I see what you mean.
Just beautiful.
(apparently, there's a Buddhist retreat in the area, I discovered when reading.)
What a perfect place for a walk!

http://octoploid.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/creekbed.jpg?w=383&h=396

http://octoploid.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/img_1537.jpg?w=510&h=382

http://octoploid.wordpress.com/tag/nisene-marks/
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 10:54 am
@msolga,
I concur on your correct assessment of Patiodog's amazing walk descriptions.

Really appreciate you stumbling onto this thread Patiodog. I'm stunned and jealous of your epic adventures! Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 12:39 pm
@msolga,
These forests are quite wet in the winter, but relatively dry during the summer. The great adaptation of the coastal redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) is that it's leaves absorb water directly from the morning fog. Not only does this give them a reliable source of water during months of little or no rainfall, it also saves them the energy required to pump water up from its roots. That the groves around Santa Cruz are mostly second growth forests no more than 150 years old is a testament to how effective this system is -- already some of the trees there stand over 200 feet tall, and to stand among them is to feel very small indeed.

The bad news is that many of the places where the old growth forests were cut were subsequently developed and the forest was not allowed to grow back. The good news is that California moved away from clear-cutting and toward selective harvesting practices decades ago, and a recent survey showed that, for the first time since the arrival of English speakers in California, the extent of the coastal redwood forests appears to have stopped shrinking, and may even be increasing again.

Their majesty, unfortunately, is notoriously difficult to capture in photographs. An interesting attempt from Nat Geo a while back, actually a composite of many digital images taken by a robotic camera as it was lowered down the height of a neighboring tree:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/10/redwoods/img/redwood-portrait.jpg

Thanks for the flattery -- sadly, these walks are few and far between for me these days. If I move back to California, though, it should become part of the regular routine again.
patiodog

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 12:41 pm
@patiodog,
FWIW, by my rough count that tree is the height of about 45 to 50 men -- so maybe 270 to 300 feet tall
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 12:45 pm
I've had the pleasure of walking through Muir Woods (north of San
Francisco) among the redwoods. An awe-inspiring experience!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 01:04 pm
@patiodog,
I loved that National Geographic documentary which featured how they created that epic nature photograph.
sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 01:22 pm
@patiodog,
Lovely photo, lovely stories.

I'm very fond of my cottonwoods which are very old and very tall and contain multitudes. When the closer one was recently struck by lightning -- an unfortunate side effect of the "very tall" part -- a dazed-looking raccoon came out for a looksee. My cottonwoods look positively puny next to that redwood though. I haven't seen redwoods since I was puny myself (3 or so?), would love to see 'em again sometime.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 01:35 pm
@patiodog,
Oops! This was before I saw your other posts, pdog.

Tell more if you feel like it sometime..
coastal redwood fan here.
It took me a while, when I moved north to Humboldt County. I thought they were magnificent, beautiful, precious, but I didn't just love them like I do now right away. Took me a couple of years to have them become 'mine'. Not that I mean possession, I mean it about attachment. Now I remember the drive through miles of redwood forest with some symphony cds as company as one of my key life experiences.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:00 pm
@patiodog,
M'god, you're a good writer, dog.

The first descriptive post made me tear a bit, but that passed. The second, I don't know what to say. I think you have a second career going as a writer.

I hope you do move back to California, I think it would be good for ya (but what do I know).

Hmmm, my vet in Humboldt, who I thought very well of, should be near retirement by now. He has others working with him, but so? He's a good man, husband of my business partner's friend. Will pm you about his practice if you have any interest at all.
patiodog

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Not sure I could hack the small town vet thing, osso -- I've no desire to be a small business owner. However, I've been mulling over a few of the medium and larger NorCal markets -- Santa Cruz et al, Oakland/Alameda, Santa Rosa et al, Sacramento, Chico, mebbe Tahoe... No San Jose or San Francisco, and no SoCal...
patiodog

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
I saw that, too, step. Good stuff.
0 Replies