Who, of these three choices, represents the greatest threat to our freedom.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:19 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

Hawkeye if you can get your kids interested in podcasts by a Prof Bob Packett by the name of "history according to Bob" they would learn far more history then any they could learn in any high school class.
I homeschooled my kids for many years, and they are all very bright, so they see for themselves how limited and biased their formal education is. They are in the habit of conducting a great deal of their education outside of school.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:23 pm
@talk72000,
Sorry but there was many reasons why the Roman Empire fell and it did not do so for a thousand years in the West and two thousands years in the East and during all that time the conditions you claimed that cause it fall did in fact exist.

Second, the poor did not in fact vote for the Emperor and the senate became a powerless joke during that long period of time.

The great imbalance of wealth exists in all pre-industrial emperors.

talk72000

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:25 pm
@NickFun,
Wars are not predictable. It is GWB who got USA into this mess in more ways than than you could count. His unilateralism shut of markets for American goods in the Mid East and Muslim countries as well as Europe and South America. Only East Asia seems to be open to American goods. So recovery will not be robust because of GWB. Also the war on Muslims created the huge deficit and increased the debt. His hands-off approach to the economy led to the financial crisis. So for Americans it is important to elect the right person and not be fooled by his 'easy and folksy' demeanor. Appearances can be deceiving.
BillRM

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:27 pm
@NickFun,
Quote:
Domestic terrorists may kill thousands though that pales in significance to the other two.

Sorry but killing a hundred thousands around the world by military actions may not be all that moral depending on the situation, however it is no threat to the stability and freedom inside of the country.

Domestic terror groups are.

BillRM

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:30 pm
@talk72000,
Quote:
American goods in the Mid East and Muslim countries as well as Europe and South America. Only East Asia seems to be open to American goods. So recovery will not be robust because of GWB.

Where do you get your "facts" from??????
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:32 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Domestic terror groups are
they can be, for instance the Mexican drug terror groups are a threat to the Mexican establishment, but I dont think you can show that in American terrorism has been a threat to anything other than our peace of mind.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:32 pm
@BillRM,
Yes these factors weakened the Roman Empire as the Roman generals fought among themselves and not protecting the borders and their weap0nry and military system of foot soldiers were no match for horsemen of the steppes who just rode off into the vast expanse of the grassy plains the Roman soldiers feared to follow as it seemed poitless as well. It was hit and run. The German tribes also were incorporated into the Roman armies and when they were denied further promotion they revolted and took over Rome. The Muslim did the Byzantium Empire in.
BillRM

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 06:51 pm
@talk72000,
Far far to simple to say the least and once more they was a going concern for five times the length of the US history to date in the west and ten times in the East.

Hell the Eastern Empire came back to the West and for a generation the whole Empire was almost reborn. If the black death had not hit at that moment the Empire might be around now in the place of the EU.
talk72000

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 06:55 pm
@BillRM,
I simplified it as there is a lack of interest in the States regarding history. Ancient history to some at A2K is 50 years. Any more details would turn off readers.
BillRM

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:15 pm
@talk72000,
Quote:
I simplified it as there is a lack of interest in the States regarding history. Ancient history to some at A2K is 50 years. Any more details would turn off readers.

My my in any case what had always annoyed me is how little the Eastern part of the Empire is known and how must if kept influencing the West after the fall of Rome.

For one thing without if shielding the West during the so call dark ages we all would had likely now be part of a world wide Muslim empire.
talk72000

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 12:08 pm
@BillRM,
Many of the wonders of science and medical knowledge came from the Muslims. People in the Middle Ages in Europe treated sick people with leaches and for "humors" for christsake! They drilled holes into people's heads even. How ignorant can one be? The Ottoman Empire only began to unravel when the Sharia Law began to rear its ugly head.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:11 pm
@ebrown p,
Obama.
It is ridiculous.
You can't compare as "my" terrorist never exists. Only "your" terrorist, or "their" terrorist. There is no 1st person in "terrorist."
However, we all have "my" politician. Anyone that cares always has "my" politician.
Who is ever going to compare "your" terrorist and "my" politician - besides you of course.
0 Replies