Who, of these three choices, represents the greatest threat to our freedom.

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:45 pm
1) Conservative or Conservative leaning democratically elected representatives - Like George W. Bush.

2) Liberal or Liberal leaning democratically elected representatives- Like Barack Obama.

3) Domestic Terrorists (not democratically elected) - Like Timothy McVeigh.

Please discuss (I am especially interested to know why any discussion comparing terrorists to democratically elected officials isn't ridiculous).

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,781 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:48 pm
You already know your answer, which is why you generated your own parallel discussion.

Circumstances and conditions beyond anyone's wildest imagination propelled us into this mess. It didn't happen overnight, nor will the fix (if there is one). No matter what party or person has the President's office, we'd be in a world of hurt for awhile.

Repugs are just acting pissed 'cause they shot themselves in the foot at elections time. No constructive solutions are being offered by Repugs. Meanwhile the country goes sideways financially. Feds still allowing the waging of senseless wars that don't promote any peace now ..or short term..or long term.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:51 pm
@ebrown p,
You just made that comparison, and it is.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:08 pm
@ebrown p,

4) Liberal democratically elected representatives that order Waco, TX type raids - Like Bill Clinton.
parados

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:14 pm
@H2O MAN,
ROFLMAO...

You don't know a damn thing about WACO do you squirt? The investigation started before Clinton took office and Clinton didn't give the order for the raid. A judge authorized it when he issued a warrant.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:16 pm
@parados,

You really need to check your current events before you shoot your mouth off.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:23 pm
5- fluoride in the water, much like stalins burial place,it's a communist plot

if only we had songsters today, like lenin & mccarthy we could whip up a batch of john birch beer and invite glenn beck to lead us all in a good old sing along, maybe something patriotic like born in the usa
BillRM

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:24 pm
@ebrown p,
We had a large fraction of the population living in never never land where for example Obama is still a person not born on US soil no matter how greatly hard evidence and commonsense state otherwise.

A never never land where the very worst thing that could happen to the Republic is that we join the rest of the first world and have everyone cover for medical care and stop paying double per person for less care then the rest of the first world enjoy.

That in this never land there are evil plots within evil plots to enslaved the middle class white males in all kind of ways beginning by taking away their firearms.

In never land a drug addict and hatemonger is a fit intellectual leader for your movement, along with a very light weight lady who stated that she can see the Russian mainland from her state and the birther movement may be correct after all!

That where the danger exist along with the people pulling the strings and feeding this nonsense over the radio waves and the Fox Network.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:26 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

5- fluoride in the water, much like stalins burial place,it's a communist plot

Laughing

Drunk
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:31 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

We had a large fraction of the population ...

The insignificant fraction of dipshits in our population that believe the kind of crap you reference is tiny.

Also, I'm sure you meant have instead of had...
BillRM

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:36 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
The insignificant fraction of dipshits in our population that believe the kind of crap you reference is tiny.

I wish I could agree however judging by the tea bagger movement and the numbers of fools that think that Rush is god it is at least 15 to 20 percent of the voters.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:39 pm
@BillRM,
TEA party patriots are one thing, but the tea bagger movement consists entirely of liberals like Barney Frank.
BillRM

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:45 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
TEA party patriots are one thing, but the tea bagger movement consists entirely of liberals like Barney Frank.

How is never never land is the rent cheap?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:56 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
I wish I could agree however judging by the tea bagger movement and the numbers of fools that think that Rush is god it is at least 15 to 20 percent of the voters.
the lack of education and sophistication of the American people is a serious problem going forwards. However, I am not sure that we see this more in the tea party movement than we do say in those who stand by while the government continues to strengthen its strangle hold on the individual and either don't realize what is going on or else buy the justification of "SAFETY!" We have far too many Lemmings who would walk to their own deaths if they were fed the right line.
BillRM

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 03:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the lack of education and sophistication of the American people is a serious problem going forwards. However, I am not sure that we see this more in the tea party movement than we do say in those who stand by while the government continues to strengthen its strangle hold on the individual and either don't realize what is going on or else buy the justification of "SAFETY!"

The tea party people are not uneducated in the normal and formal meaning of that term even if they do not live in the real world.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 03:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
I wonder at times if teaching real history to a far greater extend then we do now would help to have a more sane and logical society.

Of course the special interests who battle over history text books and see history as a way of getting their views of the world to the next generation would fight tooths and nails not to give this gift to the next generation.

It nice to be able to know when false history is being offer to back up one position or another.

Hell I was amused when Clinton was giving a speak on C-SPAN last week and one of his minor statements concerning George Washington was incorrect.

Wonder who his fact checker was even if it was a very minor error unlike the kind of statements I hear on the Fox Network 24/7.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 03:45 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
I wonder at times if teaching real history to a far greater extend then we do now would help to have a more sane and logical society.

Of course the special interests who battle over history text books and see history as a way of getting their views of the world to the next generation would fight tooths and nails not to give this gift to the next generation
the hijacking of the history segment of the curriculum to further the indoctrination goals of the adults is a huge part of the problem, as well as the simple lack of time spent teaching of anything resembling history. Half of the history time required of my kids in HS is used to teach what is called "Washington state history" which in reality is alleged bits of history offered up to document the righteousness of multiculturalism, tolerance, and what ever other ideas are in favor at the moment.

The nearly complete destruction of the old practice of teaching history in schools is a pet peeve of mine, and has been for 20 years.
talk72000

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 03:55 pm
In the great epic Mahabharat it says slavery was a surefire way to end a kingdom. In modern terms it means inequality. The Roman Empire fell because after it expanded to its maximaum extent with no more spoils of war to feed the system with excess profit so it began to crumble. 97% of the people in the Roman Empire lived below the poverty line. 1/3 of the people were slaves (thus internal enemies) and the plumbing system of lead also affected the mental capacities of Romans. The Roman Senators were filthy rich and Emperors were Roman generals who took over Rome with their armies and needed the poor to be voted Emperor. Thus the poor got free grains from the Emperor and he provided entertainment for the masses with the construction of the coliseums with live entertainment to win votes over the Senators. This inequality provided an opening for Christianity to take over as it was the perfect message for the meek and poor as 97% of the Roman Empire were poor. The poor saw little profit in the system and so the Roman Empire fell.
BillRM

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye if you can get your kids interested in podcasts by a Prof Bob Packett by the name of "history according to Bob" they would learn far more history then any they could learn in any high school class.

Hell you more then likely would find it interesting yourself here is the link:

http://www.summahistorica.com/

Second comment history teachings in the 60s in NJ public schools was kind of in a sad state even back then.

American history courses then seem also design to pump up Patriotism far more then to teach the subject in a frank and honest manner.
NickFun

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:17 pm
George W. Bush gave us a war that killed hundreds of thousands, not to mention the pain and suffering of the injured. And he's still roaming the streets! Obama has failed to end the war which makes him almost as bad. Domestic terrorists may kill thousands though that pales in significance to the other two.

I vote #1.