We Got Free Steak

jespah

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 04:43 pm
On Saturday, we went food shopping at the usual place. Everything went as normal -- I chatted up the fishmonger, RP bought about a trillion containers of strawberries, all was right with the world.

We went to check out. It was the World's Slowest Checker Girl (WSCG) and Mongo. Mongo is this big guy who looks like he's lost because it's the football off-season.

Here's a photo of the original Mongo (he's on the right), to give you an idea:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lkOPHZJetNI/SrBNDdPlRLI/AAAAAAAAGzY/nBv59yxLXZk/s400/Mongo.jpg

So, WSCG is ringing everything up s...l...o...w...l...y. And Mongo is, equally slowly, bagging. RP makes the mistake of handing Mongo the second (of two) bags of croutons, to place in the same bag where the first bag of croutons has just been placed.

Mongo cannot handle this exchange, and stares at the croutons for a full 15 seconds. Then, of course, he places them into an entirely new bag.

WSCG continues her slog. Mongo continues to bag as if underwater. It's not like we're in a hurry or anything, and we're being nice to them and all, but man, it's taking forever. We do realize that WSCG and Mongo are, naturally, working checkout aisle #13.

Then -- the way that Star Market works is -- you drive to the below-ground part of the building where they load the bags into your car. This all happens without a hitch, no problem as always.

We get home. We unload the bags. Everything's there. But ... wait ... there's more.

We got skirt steak. It was not ours. We didn't get anything else unexpected. Just a mystery steak.

I don't eat red meat and RP doesn't cook much.

What should we do with this steak?

Oh and, if you see Mongo around, please say hi, but don't offer him a Candygram.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 3,336 • Replies: 27

Irishk

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:04 pm
Fajitas!!!

LOL...enjoyed reading along...felt like I was there. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:06 pm
They ought to send Mongo to the HEB grocery in Tomball. It sounds like it would greatly expedite the bagging service. Seriously, they actually train the baggers to do a poor job there. They tell them to over stuff the bags.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:10 pm
@jespah,
Weird, but funny as hell.

Joeblow

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:11 pm
@Joeblow,
What's a skirt steak? Sounds tough.

Get rid of it. No really. Get rid of it.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:14 pm
@jespah,
carne asada.......

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taqueria-Style-Tacos---Carne-Asada/Detail.aspx

hey to mongo.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:16 pm
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:

What's a skirt steak? Sounds tough.

Get rid of it. No really. Get rid of it.

No way! Skirt steak makes great fajitas.

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:18 pm
@Joeblow,
Skirt steak is good...

I got a grocery bagging prize two weeks ago.. a box of kleenex tissues, somewhat crushed and already opened.. and an insulated coffee mug.
panzade

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:20 pm
Fajitas baby!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
OK, OK I looked it up!

Quote:
The skirt steak is the diaphragm muscle. It is a long, flat piece of meat, with a tendency toward toughness. But it has good flavor. It can be grilled or pan fried quickly with good results. Another traditional method is to stuff it, roll it, and braise it. In many areas of the country (Texas, for example) skirt steak is the only cut to be used when making "real" fajitas.

http://www.ochef.com/66.htm

Joeblow

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Now, that's pretty funny, too. Weird.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 06:06 pm
@ossobuco,
The coffee mug. Was it clean?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 06:14 pm
@roger,
Yes. On the other hand, I now use it to hold up the metal dohickey for the icemaker I don't use, and took my own good coffee mug out of its former role in that capacity..
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 06:14 pm
@Joeblow,
Yep - I make fajitas with it. You have to marinate it quite a while to get it to be tender enough - but it is quite good.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 06:41 pm
@jespah,
Are you quite sure it's not spoiled?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 06:45 pm
Mongo likes fajitas
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 06:45 pm
@jespah,
You got a skirt made from STEAK?

I'd bury it at a crossroads at midnight.

Aisle 13?

Come on! This thing is some mad juju. Hurry before it gits ya!

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 07:32 pm
I was expecting a story about going to some function . . . like the ones where they try to sell you time shares (do they still do that, post mortgage crisis?) . . . and got this very funny piece with funny responses.

Blazing Saddles is one of my all time favs. I used to get up to the underground radio station in Detroit. One morning, the music was Frankie Layne. What! Then I listened to the words . . . he rode a blazing saddle . . . his saddle became a star to show the way . . . when it was finished, the DJ announced a free midnight movie preview. I had to go. Instead of tickets, they sent out wooden nickels. Too bad mine disappeared long ago.
oolongteasup

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:00 pm
@jespah,
stealing by finding

you must feel very small

congratulations

oolongteasup

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:09 pm
@oolongteasup,
just in case some don't get the joke / compliment

lightly saute the skirt steak in garlic butter then

toss it to the dogs

destroy your shopping receipt, deny any knowledge and change all your sobriquets
0 Replies