Students are struggling

tintin

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:28 pm
Please look at this English text..

Students are struggling to resist the seemingly endless procrastination opportunities on the Internet; a recent survey at Stanford University, for example, showed that majority of students admitted to surfing the web when they should have been studying.

what does 'procrastination opportunities' means ? I looked up wordweb ...but still not clear....not happy.

Could you please post few examples to understand the meaning ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 827 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:36 pm
Procrastinating means not doing what you should be doing and doing something else instead.
Procrastinating opportunities are reasons to continue to procrastinate.

I should be working in the garden instead i am surfing the internet. I'm not really gathering information I'm just looking around. I really should be working in the garden but i need to eat and drink first then i need to go to friends house.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:53 pm
see ....Students are struggling to resist the seemingly endless procrastination opportunities on the Internet

Here is what I understand ....

Internet is for study ...but students are not studying ...they are just surfing , playing games etc in the internet . Now,students are trying to resist this behavior by themselves so that they can concentrate on studies in the internet.

Is it the correct picture they wanted to tell ?
fresco

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 01:30 am
@tintin,
Correct...although A2K is itself a great "procrastination opportunity" ! Smile
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 01:39 am
Quote:
Now,students are trying to resist this behavior by themselves so that they can concentrate on studies in the internet.

but not succeeding in resisting the behavior because too many opportunities to procrastinate present themselves.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 02:12 am
They're not studying or working on the net--they're online INSTEAD of studying.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 09:02 pm
I use the internet to procrastinate often and I suspect most people who contribute to this forum also procrastinate on a regular basis.
0 Replies