What Party(ies) will control the House and Senate after the November Elections ?

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 09:55 am
We're all aware of the general trend towards losses by the governing party in mid term elections. This year indicators suggest that the setbacks for the Democrats may be as great even as what occurred in 1993 midway through Clinton's first term - perhaps greater.

Poll data suggests that the increased public acceptance of the health care "reform" recently enacted recently forecast by Democrat apologists hasn't yet occurred, indeed public approval appears to be falling, not rising. Public anxiety over issues surrounding American leadership and independence in the world appear to be rising. Even the recent fuss over the new directions the Administration proposes for NASA and out space program have excited discussion and concerns in some quarters. Defense issues are already prominent, and the recent decisions to avoid the (actually needed) upgrade of existing nuclear warheads and sign nuclear deals with a no longer powerful Russia, while new nuclear threats emerge in the Middle East, plus what may follow when the forthcoming huge cuts in our Defense programs are announced, .... all suggest the possibility of growing opposition to an administration that does indeed appear to intend to reshape this country more in the fashion of European social democrat top-down governments.

What do you think are the likely issues and outcomes in this very interesting and important political struggle?

ebrown p

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:13 am
@georgeob1,
I don't think it is a very interesting election at all. It will be a pretty typical mid-term election; most Americans simply don't care. The Americans who do care are either core partisan faithful, or people who are riled up by something.

Informed people are not swing voters.

This election will have very little to do with issues like the Middle East or Nuclear disarmament or NASA. Most of the people voting don't know or care a whit about any of this... and those of us who do already know who we support.

The only mildly interesting feature of this election is the depth of anger of the tea-partiers. Mid term elections are about which side can get their base out... the tea-party silliness cuts both ways.

But, anger drives voter turnout better then contentment, which is why in mid-term elections, the party in power is at a big disadvantage. There is nothing new about that. This will be a rather normal midterm election. I predict that the Democrats will lose 30-35 house seats and 4 or 5 Senate seats. They will remain in power in both houses.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:17 am
I still believe that the Democrats will control the Senate with 54 or more seats. As for the House, I predict that Pelosi will still hold a very narrow majority after the elections.

None of this should be especially surprising - the Dems have expanded mightily in the last 2 cycles and have a huge number of seats to defend, in an environment which typically favors the opposition party - 1st-term midterm elections.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:17 am
2010 elections will focus on local politics/issues and very low voter turnout.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:49 am
Dems will hold the Senate. 54 seats as mentioned earlier seems about right. I think they will lose the House though. It will be by a very narrow margin, but I think there is and will be enough anger out there to see them lose the House.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:55 am
Well, it's still early in the election season, so all predictions now are subject to significant uncertainty. It is evident from the Democrat fund raising efforts that they and their union supporters are gearing up for some hard fought election contests. A lot depends on the quality of candidates, evolving leaderswhip in the Republican party and the subsequent actrions of the Administration.

However, I predict an unusually high turnout for midterm elections, with significant setbacks for the Democrats in both houses of the Congress. I believe they will retain control of the Senate, but with a signifcantly reduced margin, and will lose control of the house by a narrow margin ... more or less as coastal rat just put it..

I'm also persuaded that an emboldened President will likely add new fuel to the political fires burning against him.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:55 am
November 10 is a loooong way off. If the economy returns to sub-7% unemployment the Democrats would likely maintain control of both Houses of Congress. If unemployment does not decrease below 8%, the GOP will control the House. If the unemployment rate hovers between 7% and 8%, the affect at the ballot box will be blurred by the particulars of each election/candidates where the inertia of the system, viz., incumbents win will be the driving force of the election.

but again........November 10 is a loooong way off.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:57 am
i think the government will control the house and the senate

the ones that get the most votes will be in control, but win or lose the government will still be in charge, it would be nice if someone could defeat the government, but for now i don't see that happening
ebrown p

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:00 am
@djjd62,
DJ, sometimes you are silly... or scary.... or silly scary.

Do you even know what the heck you are talking about?
djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:37 am
@ebrown p,
ummm, it's pretty simple, no matter who you vote for the government always wins

and in the end most folks are disappointed, so it's obvious to me it's not the parties, its the government, maybe new parties would change this for a while, but not for long, as with most things, familiarity breeds contempt

government needs a major overhaul, get rid of the lobbyists to start with, make politicians work for the people not con ed and philip morris
ebrown p

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:15 pm
@djjd62,
What you are saying doesn't mean anything... I mean I get the "government is bad" schtick, but what the heck are you proposing for a practical alternative.

The fact is that elections matter in our country. People have the ability to vote, and the politician with the most votes wins. Don't you agree that people should vote for the people who run the country? Would you change this?

Of course, we would probably agree that people, being mostly uninformed and easily swayed by soundbites, are far too influenced by advertising to the place where their votes can be swayed by million dollar ads without substance?

I think voters are allowed to be idiots... and idiots should be allowed to vote... and I think things are less worse then you think anyway.

Of course whining is always fun, and it has the added benefit of dodging any responsibility for the democracy you are a part of.

But how, practically (and practically means concrete steps, not vague bromides about bad corporations), would you change the system?
djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:37 pm
@ebrown p,
i vote in every election (in fact i vote as soon as i can to avoid clogging up the polls), i vote for who i see to be the best candidate (this means i might vote for a different party federally than provincially)

i just think the system is broken, and likely can't be fixed without a total collapse, as successive parties try to appease all voters, they become this homogeneous blend of, well for a better word government, i think this is happening slightly less in canada because we have three major parties and a few minor parties

in the states i think you really need a third party for a start, shake up the system a we bit

i have no solutions, i was only offering my opinions, the thread asks who's gonna control the house, and i think my first answer, as obtuse and absurd as it may be, will end up being the correct answer like it or not
wandeljw

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:43 pm
I do think Democrats will lose seats, but they will still have a majority in both the senate and house. The result of the most recent "special election" indicates the backlash against health reform may not be as worrisome as some have thought:

Quote:
Democrat wins Fla. US House special election
(By Brian Skoloff, Associated Press, April 14, 2010)

BOCA RATON, Fla. --Republican backlash over President Barack Obama's health care overhaul had little effect in the nation's first U.S. House race of 2010.

Florida Democratic state Sen. Ted Deutch handily won Tuesday's special election to replace retiring Democratic U.S. Rep. Robert Wexler after his underdog GOP opponent attempted to make the contest a referendum on the massive health care bill.

"We've heard for months that tonight ... is a referendum on health care, it's a referendum on the (Obama) administration, it's a referendum on what direction this country is going," Deutch told supporters. "Let me tell you something, what we learned today is that in Broward County and Palm Beach County, Florida, the Democratic Party is alive and well."

With 100 percent of precincts reporting, Deutch, an attorney, had 62 percent of the vote compared to 35 percent for Republican Ed Lynch. No-party candidate Jim McCormick trailed far behind with just 3 percent.

Lynch, a 44-year-old West Palm Beach contractor, sought to make the race a statement on the health care bill in District 19, which includes parts of Broward and Palm Beach counties. About 40 percent of voters are senior citizens. But Lynch had a tough task. Democrats outnumber Republicans by more than 2-to-1 -- 234,000 to about 111,000.

"Obviously, it's not the results that we wanted," Lynch said.

"But it proved that people are willing to get out there and take our country back," he added of his supporters.

Wexler, a self-proclaimed "fire-breathing liberal," left office in January during his seventh congressional term to head a Middle East think tank. He was hugely popular in the district, which voted about 65 percent for Obama in 2008.

Wexler, of Boca Raton, had endorsed Deutch, 44, who will now serve the remaining eight months of Wexler's term, then will have to run in November for re-election.

Lynch had hoped public disdain for the health care bill and low congressional approval ratings would help him upset Deutch, widely seen as the front-runner. He lambasted the health care overhaul as a government takeover and the gutting of Medicare, while Deutch told voters it would provide immediate relief.

Lynch also slammed Obama's stimulus bill as doing little to help the economy and called the president's timetable to withdraw troops from Iraq "moronic." Deutch said he would have voted for the health care overhaul and the stimulus bill and supports Obama's Iraq strategy.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:46 pm
@djjd62,
I think total collapse is a bad thing.

I also think that the claim that the US parties are "homogeneous" is ridiculous.

djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:52 pm
@ebrown p,
what can i say, that's the way i see it, i think most politicians go to washington (or ottawa) with the best of intentions, and quickly get ground down by the bureaucracy of the place and become a faceless government drone, hoping for a nice consulting job or a spot on a board of directors if they play the game

probably always been that way

as for me, i'm gonna pay my taxes, vote for the what or who i see as being the lesser of all evils and just live my life
rabel22

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:10 pm
@djjd62,
Your right brown is wrong. When your voteing choice is the candidate who is the lessor of two evils the system is broke. And expecting the politicians dem or repub to fix the problem is is engaging in dreams.
farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:03 pm
@georgeob1,
Lincoln was "Gauaranteed to lose" the 1864 elections and the Copperheads were a shoo-in to pick up major seats.
As it turned out, several major battles and surrenders of cities happened just a montn or so before the election and Lincoln not only won but the Republicans picked up 50 seats. If, as kuvasz said, the unemployment issue is still looming, the Dems will be hurting badly and several key Senate seats will be reversed. I dont even think the House will be a debate.

But, as the man said, we are only at the first quarter pole.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:17 pm
@rabel22,
No rabel, You ARE the system. If it is broke, it is your fault. If you don't like the choices you are presented-- what are you doing to recruit better choices?

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 11:51 am
@farmerman,
Well farmerman, it's now four months later and the November elections are only about 10 weeks away. The unemployment issue still looms: total employment is in fact declining slowly, while the unemployment rate (the % of workers out of a job and still looking for one) remains stuck (conveniently for the Democrats) just below 10%. The stock market is declining; the U.S. trade deficit increasing; and businesses everywhere avoiding risk and conserving cash in anticipation of steep rises in health care premiums, increased taxation, and increased government regulatory intrusion into their operations that they can neither forecast or influence. These same conditions keep entrepreneurs, who might otherwise be starting new businesses with new products and services, on the sidelines, awaiting more favorable conditions for their risky ventures.

We have adopted social welfare programs (healthcare and extended unemployment benefits) that make the affordable assimilation of large numbers of immigrants far more difficult. However, the administration has chosen to evade that fact and politicize our current immigration system - one which is unable to deal with either the number of immigrants who wish to come here legally; police our borders; or even deal effectively with illegal residents who commit crimes - merely to enhance its appeal to legal and illegal hispanic voters. At the same time it is cracking down on residency permits for badly needed foreign workers, posessing skills needed for U.S. businesses. The inevitable result will be the flight of those businesses to more favorable climes - just as happened to the U.S. textile and manufacturing businesses. This. of course, will reduce U.S. employment, further exacerbate our trade deficit, and hasten the collapse of the dollar.

The president, who strangely remains more popular than his party, is increasingly given to scolding the public even on issues that don't really call for his attention, and don't really involve any fundamental rights. The issue of the Mosque in lower Manhattan is an example. He appears to take even reasonable criticism badly, and shows more than the usual propensity of politicians to blame the issues before him on others, now long out of power. This leads me to believe that his popularity, now down by a large margin from the early days, will continue to erode.

My bet is the Republicans will win a (slim) majority in the House of Representatives and will pick up at least five seats in the Senate, but remain the minority party there.
Advocate

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:58 pm
@georgeob1,
I understand what you are saying. If only McCain had won the election, the country would be cruising on easy street.