Psst! Governor, I gotta a idear.

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 11:56 am
To: the Governor of New Mexico or whatever:

Lookit, I've been looking at pictures of your, I hesitate to call it a state, it's more like a big empty square, isn't it? but okay, state. Have you ever noticed the resemblance? It looks just like Iraq, doesn't it? And parts of it look like Afghanistan or Pakistan or Bicyclekickstan, any of those places, right?
So here's the deal. Send your Senators, (do you still get two? Even though you only have 260 people in the whole place? Jeez.) to Washington and tell everybody there that they can send all the troops they've got in all those other places to New Mexico. See?

They can bomb the hell out of the place and on CNN or FOX it will look just like we are in the backhalf of Mosul. Who's to know? Nobody will be shooting at the troops or setting off car bombs, so that will be good. And here's the best part, you offer to do it for only half of the 87 Billion dollars that the House is voting on right now. Half price!! Shoot! They'll jump on that won't they?

I know, somebody from North Dakota will try to steal the idea or try to horn in on the thing, but nix on that because you have the right visuals, natch?? If they try something you can always offer them some backgrounders, a couple of shots of the Sandhills with some cowboys wearing their bathrobes in the distance, okay? We'll buy them off with a couple of billion. Cripes, you can probably buy North AND South Dakota for a billion apiece. Not to worry.

Oh, one thing. You got any oil wells or pipelines? I didn't see much on the map that said "crude" if you get me. Cuz we'll need some flaming shots of something flaming. Maybe we'll have to dodge over to Midland/Odessa for a couple of quickie boom-booms.

Okay, I'll email you the contracts. My cut of the deal is my usual, I was going to say that your cut of the deal would be your usual, but I forgot, you're not the Governor of Arizona, so you'll have to tell DebraAnn (no touch!) when she comes to pick up the hard copies.

Love yuh!
Joe Nation

Comments Please,,,,,,, Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,999 • Replies: 26
No top replies

shoesharper

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 03:14 pm
I am nominating you for a Pulitzer! (Do you know how to pull an itzer?) Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 10:07 pm
I bet he does.
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 10:10 pm
You know those city boys. They always know such things. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 10:39 pm
Shocked

As a matter of fact, Joe, we supply about 1/6 of the nations natural gas, and have more oil and gas wells than the eitire mideast. They got some real good wells, though.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 11:58 pm
Joe
Joe, are you hell-bent on ruining my neighborhood? What a sore head!

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 12:45 am
Well, there's two of the 260 residents speaking up. Maybe they're the senators? http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/crazyeyes.gif

Nah, seriously. . . I love Albuquerque. Fell in love with in on the way to Vegas one day. May move there some day.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 05:19 am
No.no no. BBB, I'm trying to make you some real money here. Look, I admit it. I stole that letter from a movie producer friend of mine, I thought people here at A2k should see it. I can't tell you her name, I'll just call her Pam, you know like the spray. Anyway, she's putting together this movie about the Iraq thing, going to have Affleck and Mel Gibson maybe, Madonna is signed on, we had Arnold to do a cameo but now he's got some kind of two-year committment somewheres else.
Anyway, it's all about the regular stuff, you know, valient GI's in the gigantic humvees and jeeps or whatever all followed around by this Fox news camera crew (Affleck and Madonna) and they get into all these messes. Blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda,yadda when it hits Pam, she's brilliant you know, it hits her.
"Why not do the real thing?" she says. I'll never forget that. wow.
We were like, like go over to the war?
'No,' she says, ''we do it here. Like in New Mexico.''
See, I told you this is her idea, the New Mexico part. And it's perfect for you and Roger too because all you guys are going to get 43 Billion dollars.
And some it is going to get spilled on the ground, if you know what I mean.

Okay, look, we were trying to get funding for the movie, do you know how hard it is to a lousy 600 million to make a movie these days? But if we can get the 43 Billion with a B, well, crap we have a budget to do things right, right? We take maybe a billion, there's a billion apiece to the Dakotas and the rest is yours to spread around what's left of the place.
40 billion will build a lotta golf courses. Right? Right? Right?

Okay, let's talk downsides. You got your Santa Fe, which Pam says is off limits on account of her having some kind of spiritual awakening there about twenty years ago. Whatever. But we can shoot the hell out of all those rocks and nobody will care. I mean it's rocks, right? What else?
Oh yeah, Albuquerque. Now see, I thought that might be a problem too, but we did two on the street surveys, kind of like what Jay does on his show and guess what? We asked:
Which of these is an American city:
A) Albuquerque
B) Nasiriya
C) Chechnya
D) None of the above

They all said D, Sorry, but that's the way it is. So nobody is gonna miss a few hundred yards of Albuquerque neighborhood. And you'll have the 40 billion to slap up a couple of hundred of those tiled roof ranchhouses that you all love. On the survey thing, You got to remember that like half of the folks in the US (okay, less than half) voted for Bush and 40 percent of them like homeschool their children so how are they to know geography??? Forget it.
(No offense to Montana who I'm sure has got a son so smart like you wouldn't believe.)
And it's got to look like the stuff on the TV news now or somebody's going to catch on. We have a plan for when people start asking how come no GIs are getting whacked on a daily basis. We tell them 'body armor', it's new, we can't talk about it. Isn't that great? Pam didn't think of that. I did. Embarrassed

So get with it, BBB and you too Roger, call your governor and tell him or her, (how am I supposed to know which), to get with this before the Senate votes. Oh, and say that we've got a couple of feelers from the folks in Durango who are willing to let the whole thing go for a solid ten billion. So cheap and it does look like those mountains Osama keeps showing up on.

Okay, so I'll call you.

love
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 08:42 am
Joe
Joe, I just e-mailed Asherman to ask him to respond. He could save Pam lots of money by writing the script and designing and painting the indoor sets.

And Ash should have a major role---he could be right in character with the theme.

Since Natalie has gone back to teaching, I'm sure there must be a role for a school marm for her.

So now you have four New Mexicans ready to fight for America on the cheap.

WOW! I just had another idea. The next time Dyslexia and Diane come down from Colorado for a visit, we could hog-tie them until they agree to play a role and maybe cough up a nickle or dime.

BBB
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 11:51 am
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 02:03 pm
One quibble, Asherman. Our governor is Bill Richardson, former representative to congress - till appointed ambassador to the UN by Bill Clinton. Oil companies are threatening to move their wells to Colorado or Texas after seeing his latest tax schemes.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 05:27 pm
Richardson was a pal of Clinton? I think I knew that, but he blows with the wind.

It probably is a good thing that most of the country is so ill informed about our State. There are already far too many refugees crowding in. By limiting immigration our water problems would be much less severe, and the urban sprawl out onto the west mesa would tear up a lot less of the pristine desert. Water and jobs are the limiting factors to population growth, so their scarcity does have an upside.

What do you think of a separate nation that covered essentially the same ground purchased from France in the Louisiana Purchase?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 05:34 pm
Works for me. Probably a good thing I wasn't around when it was our manifest destiny to populate the land from the Atlantic to the Pacific. I would have said from Baffin Bay to Tierra del Feugo.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:29 pm
Ash
Bill Richardson is a Democrat, at least the last time I checked up on him.

BBB
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:43 pm
Indeed.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 07:45 pm
Why, shut my mouth. Just goes to show how little I keep up with the political scene.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 08:07 pm
thats ok Ash still thinks i am a Republican. ;
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 08:14 pm
Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Asherman:
Having just perused most of the Chamber of Commerce, New Mexico Tourism Bureau, Highway Dept sites, I have to say THEY NEED YOU to write about New Mexico for them. Excellent work! So poetic that I'm going to feel so bad when we start bombing. (Except for the Richardson thing and you can be forgiven for that.)

I really like the idea of kidnapping Coloradoites (especially the hogtying part.)

This all started because a friend of mine whom I've known since the '60's recently moved from California to Sante Fe, New Mexico (sound familiar A-man?) And we got to thinking about New Mexico declaring war on the US in order to get part of the reconstruction money, but I think "Pam" had the better idea. Just buy off Washington for half the money!!

==
I don't think the idea of an independent country comprised of New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas and Texas would work because the Texans would insist that it be named :

Texas.

Joe
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 10:55 pm
Dys ... you're NOT a Republican?! Shocked Damn, I thought there was something weird about you, now I can see why. Embarrassed Smile
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 07:04 am
Hey Joe, how you gonna get from Kansas to Texas without including Oklahoma? (squinting at map)

Does this mean we'd all have to start saying "Yee haw" and stuff like that? Hmmm...I guess if there was enough money in it...(thinking)...
0 Replies