Will Charlie Crist Crack?

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 04:59 pm
Quote:
Will Charlie Crist Crack?
Unions pressure Florida's Governor to veto school reform.

Florida wasn't one of the states awarded a Race to the Top education grant for its school reform efforts from the Obama Administration. But the state continues to demonstrate why it deserved to be a recipient notwithstanding Republican Governor Charlie Crist, who can't seem to decide whether he stands with school children or the teachers unions.

As we neared deadline last night, Florida's House of Representative was poised to pass legislation that would abolish teacher tenure in public schools; require teachers to be evaluated based on the progress of students in their class; and reward the most effective teachers with better pay. Teachers in Florida receive a lifetime guarantee of employment after a mere three years of "satisfactory" evaluations. Last year, 99.7% of Florida teachers earned a satisfactory evaluation, including 100% of teachers in more than 50 of the state's 67 counties. Such reviews are meaningless.

When districts grant tenure without taking into account whether students are learning, ineffective instructors become impossible to fire. Under the proposed legislation, none of the 175,000 Florida teachers with tenure would lose it. But teachers hired after July 1, 2010 would join an annual contract system, and their evaluations would be based in part on the progress of their students.

On Monday, Governor Crist indicated he would sign the bill, which has already passed the state senate. By Thursday, however, he'd gone wobbly, citing teacher union concerns that pay-for-performance would disadvantage instructors who teach poor children and students with special needs.
But on the latest National Assessment of Educational Progress test, scores for Florida's fourth-grade students with disabilities jumped by nine points, compared to a one point drop in the national average. And low-income eighth-grade test scores rose by six points, versus a national increase of two points. The reality is that kids with learning disabilities or who come from underprivileged families are as capable of academic progress as other children. Their teachers should not escape accountability.

Mr. Crist is seeking a U.S. Senate seat in November and facing a tough challenge for the GOP nomination from conservative Marco Rubio. Conservatives have soured on the Governor for his embrace of the Obama Administration's spending agenda, among other things, and some have speculated that he will run as an independent to bypass the Republican primary. Mr. Crist insists he will run as a Republican. In any event, Floridians will have to decide whether they want a Senator who's tempted to side with the adults who run public schools instead of with the children who attend them.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304198004575171763397439300.html?mod=djemEditorialPage_h

As of today, he still hasn't decided

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/mostpopular/news-article.aspx?storyid=154695&provider=top

The reforms make perfect sense to me and, apparently, to an Orange County FL "Teacher of the Year" as well.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_education_edblog/2010/04/orange-county-teacher-of-the-year-urges-crist-to-sign-merit-pay-bill.html

There is one thing of which we can be certain, if Crist vetoes the bill, he's running for the FL Senate position as an "independent."

djjd62

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 05:00 pm
wait! what?

charlie crist smokes crack?

doesn't surprise me
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 05:11 pm
i have to admit, i don't know much about his politics, but i loved him in those airplane movies

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyloaf/files/2009/08/charlie-c.jpg
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 07:47 pm
Crack? And do what? Come out of the closet?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 08:42 am
He cracked, and vetoed the bill of which, just last month, he told reporters:

Quote:
"I support it, I support it. I think I would say that this is a bill that really focuses on trying to help children and encouraging better teachers. Pays better teachers more, and that just seems like the right thing to do."

This clinches it.

He'll be running as an independent.
Irishk

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 09:28 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Apparently he's pulled all his anti-Rubio ads from the Orlando and Tampa Bay markets. The speculation is that he's either marshalling his resources for later use (as in Independent???) or that he'll drop out.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 09:32 am
@Irishk,
Why wouldn't he run as an independent? He's tied in the three-way race if he does so.

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 09:35 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I agree. It's entirely up to him. I saw him making his statements that he would absolutely, positively, no-way-in-hell-ever run as an Independent on one of the Sunday morning news shows a few weeks ago, though. That ad will practically write itself.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 09:37 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

I agree. It's entirely up to him. I saw him making his statements that he would absolutely, positively, no-way-in-hell-ever run as an Independent on one of the Sunday morning news shows a few weeks ago, though. That ad will practically write itself.

Yup, although I will tell ya that I would have swore up and down that Lieberman would have been damned by the same thing a few years back.

Cycloptichorn
panzade

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 09:39 am
The bill is incredibly progressive for an educationally backward state. Crist couldn't turn down the support of the teachers union and we're the worse off for it.
Irishk

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 09:57 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Good point. Did he ever say unequivocally, though, that he'd never entertain the idea of running as an Independent? He seemed to leave all of his options open on the matter...still is LOL.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:29 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

The bill is incredibly progressive for an educationally backward state. Crist couldn't turn down the support of the teachers union and we're the worse off for it.

Oh, I dunno. I think the teachers who point out that about 10% of their students speak English had a good point - that structural change in the system is needed, not putting them on the hot seat for all success.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 01:21 pm

Does Crist support Obama's radical liberal agenda?
roger

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 01:45 pm
@H2O MAN,
Probably. Sometimes. Until he changes his irrevocable position. When a politico says he will not run, or will not run as an independent, I am reminded of company management visiting the troops to announce that there will be no layoffs or reductions in force. The translation is "Start updating the old resume."
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 02:09 pm
Actually, I am against merit pay. To be perfectly reasonable and realistic, it takes 20 years to know if a teacher is successful and then the success is, most likely, due to several teachers and not just to one.

Secondly, schools are rife with favoritism. Merit pay will go to the favorites who are not necessarily deserving.

Finally, Obama's politics are very middle of the road.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 02:11 pm
@plainoldme,

Obama's politics are very far left of center.
roger

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 02:29 pm
@H2O MAN,
Well, his politics are far to the right of hers.

Merit pay is often opposed by the incompetent.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 02:31 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Well, his politics are far to the right of hers.

Merit pay is often opposed by the incompetent.

Is that what you really think - that the teachers who were against this are all incompetent?

Cycloptichorn
roger

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 02:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Almost all. Why would the good teachers feel endangered by merit raises? Why would tenure be an issue, and how can it possibly take twenty years to evaluate a teacher?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 03:28 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Almost all. Why would the good teachers feel endangered by merit raises? Why would tenure be an issue, and how can it possibly take twenty years to evaluate a teacher?

I wonder if you realize that every single teacher's association in FL was against this. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any teachers that were for it. Are you claiming that they are all incompetent?

The problem with your position is that you are placing the responsibility with the front-line soldier and ignoring the war. Imagine if we told members of our military that they would only be paid and evaluated based on how many kills they got, no matter any other factor or any of the orders they were given, or their MOA or role or anything. Just one factor. It wouldn't go so well. And the reason it didn't go well in FL is the situation is exactly the same.

Let's look at what the bill would do(from the WaPo):

*Require that school systems evaluate and pay teachers primarily on the basis of student test scores. Testing experts say this is an invalid assessment tool.
*Require that experience, advanced degrees or professional certification not be considered when paying teachers.
*Require that new teachers be put on probation for five years and then work on one-year contracts, which would allow any principal to easily get rid of any teacher who bothered them in any way.
*Require the creation of new annual tests for every subject that is not measured already by state assessments or other tests, such as the Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate end-of-course tests.

This is nothing more than an attempt to further and codify the Republican dream when it comes to education: school measurement by Test Score, and Score only, as if that gave you any clue how well kids have been educated. I have a lot of family in the education industry and I work within it as well, and there is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that heavy reliance on 'test scores' is extremely deleterious to a child's education. It turns schools into test-prep academies. Tying teacher pay to this only exacerbates the problem.

I would suggest that you spend some more time studying the underlying problems with our educational system and less time accusing teachers of being incompetent. I would love to see how YOU did with a class of 20 kids, where 17 speak very poor English, when your pay was tied to their scores on tests.

Cycloptichorn